+ Reply to Thread

Default Propecia vs Avodart

Bernstein Medical posted a study comparing the effectiveness of 2.5 mg Dutasteride(Avodart) vs 5 mg Finasteride(Propecia).

Avodart wins!

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/reso...inasteride.php

Results
    In this phase II, dose-ranging study, 2.5-mg dutasteride was superior to 5-mg finasteride in improving scalp hair growth in men between ages 21 and 45 years with MPHL as judged by target area hair counts, expert panel assessment, and investigator assessment at 12 and 24 weeks.

Anyone have experience with Avodart? Is it difficult to get a prescription for?

well, i've thought about taking it many times but i always chicken out. actually, ive been doing very well on propeica for the past seven and a half years so there is really no reason for me to switch over now. but if i really start to slip hair wise and i see myself going backwards you better believe i will be running for avodart faster than... well i cant think of the metaphor right now but ill be running for it pretty fast! it's comforting to know that it's there if i should need it...

Quote Originally Posted by davesolazzo View Post
    well, i've thought about taking it many times but i always chicken out. actually, ive been doing very well on propeica for the past seven and a half years so there is really no reason for me to switch over now. but if i really start to slip hair wise and i see myself going backwards you better believe i will be running for avodart faster than... well i cant think of the metaphor right now but ill be running for it pretty fast! it's comforting to know that it's there if i should need it...

Thanks for the response!

I am happy for you that Propecia is working.

My hair loss is so bad I think I am going to go with Avodart if I can get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Red20 View Post
    Thanks for the response!

I am happy for you that Propecia is working.

My hair loss is so bad I think I am going to go with Avodart if I can get it.
    Have you tried to see if Propecia works for you before you go for Avodart?

Quote Originally Posted by Jkel View Post
    Have you tried to see if Propecia works for you before you go for Avodart?

I used Propecia 9 years ago and it helped stop my hair loss, but not gain anything else. I should have stayed on it and my hair loss is significantly worse now

The results, people have talked about seeing with Avodart, is what I am looking for at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Red20 View Post
    I used Propecia 9 years ago and it helped stop my hair loss, but not gain anything else. I should have stayed on it and my hair loss is significantly worse now

The results, people have talked about seeing with Avodart, is what I am looking for at this point.
    Why did you choose to stop Prpecia and how do you know that if you don't start again that you will see gorwth this time around?

If you do go with Avodart keep us updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkel View Post
    Why did you choose to stop Prpecia and how do you know that if you don't start again that you will see gorwth this time around?

If you do go with Avodart keep us updated.
    I didn't see much growth with Propecia. It stopped my hair loss, but after 1 year I quit using it and I just started shaving my head, since I always wear a baseball cap, anyways.

I am thinking about getting a hair transplant so I let my hair grow out and it is significantly worse now. I wish I had stayed on Propecia.

I have read information that users actually have seen more hair growth with Avodart.

Before I have a hair transplant I am going to see what results I see with ******* 15 at night, Minoxidil in the morning, Folligen, and Avodart 2 times a week.

If I can get the Avodart I will be sure to keep you updated.