+ Reply to Thread

Default Should I switch to Avodart?

I've been taking Propecia for 3 Years now with good results, but I'm scared that the thinning ontop of my head (http://img295.imageshack.us/i295/2424/34789208.jpg) is getting worse.

I take Propecia with rogaine, if I switch to Avodart would that give me better results or even keep what I got better than Propecia?

If so, would .5mg be enough? or should I start using 2.5mg?

I figured it's worth a shot going on Avodart for a few months, to see if I had any side effects. Since Propecia works for me, I don't see why Avodart wouldn't as well.

When I first came here and in my first few weeks of reading about stuff I would have said yes... switch for sure...hair is important. But I don't think it's a good idea. There is not enough safety trials done on avodart/dutasteride and it hasn't been in the business nearly as long as propecia.

I would just recommend you use a topical anti androgen like fluridil while still taking your propecia. You can also increase your propecia dosage by drinking an extra 1mg every 2nd day or so. Some people report success with that.

And definitely use a shampoo with ketoconazole in it. It's a mild antiandrogen, a growth stimulator and anti inflammatory, definitely a must.

There are a lot of safer things to try and do. Don't commit to something like avodart.

IMO, Avodart is a worthy consideration if Propecia isn't getting the results you want. Especially if you've already been on Propecia for three years (a couple dermatologists have told me they recommend using Propecia at least 6 months before trying Avodart, to see how your body handles the DHT drop).
    If I remember correctly, .5 mg of Avodart works better than almost any daily dose of Propecia you can take, and higher doses will work better still. If you're serious about trying this route, definitely do not start on more than .5!

But KeepTheHair has a point - there are no long-term studies to show that it's safe to use Avodart for hair loss. It's not like Propecia, which tons of guys have used for 8-10 years at a time with minimal or no side efffects.

Avodart seems to be too expensive for me anyways. Since my hair hasen't really changed since I started using Propecia 3 years ago, is it safe to say I can hold on to what I have now as long as I keep on Propecia? If so, I'm ok with that. I'm just stressed out when I see the pattern of thinning ontop of my head, and not knowing if it's getting worse or staying the same. That's why I was considering trying Avodart.

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox View Post
    Avodart seems to be too expensive for me anyways. Since my hair hasen't really changed since I started using Propecia 3 years ago, is it safe to say I can hold on to what I have now as long as I keep on Propecia? If so, I'm ok with that. I'm just stressed out when I see the pattern of thinning ontop of my head, and not knowing if it's getting worse or staying the same. That's why I was considering trying Avodart.
    Trust me, all of us here know that feeling of uncertainty!
    If Propecia has maintained your hair for 3 years, there's a good chance you can keep your existing crop for years to come. However, if you do start to see Propecia's effectiveness drop, you can try upping the dose or switching to Avodart at that point.
    I must also second another point KeepTheHair made - Nizoral shampoo is a good addition to any hair loss regimen.

To use or not to use Avodart, that is the question..... Hair loss medication affects everyone differently so there is no definitive answer as to how Avodart will affect you. I can only relate it to my personal situation. Before I get to that story, we need to establish a few baselines. What is considered a normal amount of hair shedding per day? Typically, it is reported to be any where between 40 to 100 hairs per day. It vavies for each individual. You can lose 100/day and have a full head of hair, or you could lose 40/day and be entirely bald. It depends on whether healthy new hair follicles replace the ones that fall off.

Usually, when ever starting a new hair loss program (Propecia, Minoxidil, Avodart), you will experience an increase in hair shedding for about three months. However, you need to realize that this is "usually" an indication that the medication is working. It takes about a year before you will know whether it is truly or not working for you.

Hair loss medication only regrows hair to a very small percentage of users. If you're one of those lucky ones, thank the Gods in heaven! I don't want to list this percentage as it will discourage many people. The good news is that these meds appear to help a good percentage of people to momentarily stop or at least reduce the affects of hair loss. We're all trying to buy time until something positive and effective in the battle against hair loss comes to fruition. Possibly as early as late 2013? The sad truth of the matter is that it will most likely be 2015 and beyond.....

Back to Avodart. Propecia was slowing down the rate of my hair loss but after reading so many positive claims of Avodart, I decided to commit to it for at least a year. It was the worst year of my life! Things looked good for the first month but then the dreaded hair shedding occurred. Okay, this was expected. Now when I say shed, I'm talking about 4 times the rate of what I normally would lose in a given day! Patience was hard to endure but I foolishly did so for a little over a year. The shedding never did stop. I finally stopped using Avodart. The darn drug stays within your system for something like six months. The shedding is slowly reducing now but my hair loss problem sure accelerated during this time.

I caution everyone if you're considering taking Avodart. Two of my friends also tried it but when the shed persisted for over three months, they stopped taking it. I was determined to stick it out. In my case, patience was a detriment.

Good luck to everyone in their battle against hair loss.

some people like me have to take avodart........

I was on propecia for a year and it did absolutely nothing. Then I started avodart while I kept taking propecia. Still no results......I have the type of gene that is resistant to these medications

I'm taking both avodart and propecia now and my hair still sheds like crazy. I predict I will be considered "bald" by this upcoming july.

Right now I'm considering starting topicals. I just order fluridil 2 month supply yesterday. Hopefully I will be able to stand the sideeffects of this topical which is dryness and irritation.

My next step after this will be rogaine. But I'm trying to put rogaine off as much as I can because I dont want dark circles.

Didn't give me dark circles.

Been on Avodart for 3 months now. Have regrown almost a full head of hair. Libido and ejaculation are still in working order.