+ Reply to Thread

Default Saw Palmentto and Propecia

My second question, thought I better open up another topic on it.

Saw Palmentto, anyone using it? Anyone seeing any benefit and also anyone using with Propecia and is there any dangers by doing so.

thanks all

Over the last several years, I've read just about everything printed on "naturally" curing hair loss. I have to admit, despite my better judgement, I tried it all: Saw Palmentto, Green Tea Extract, Flax Seed, Evening Rose, Soy, Pepper, Biotin, Zinc, etc. Unfortunately, nothing has shown any noticeable improvement. I suspect though that if your body is thoroughly lacking in one of these nutrients, then a supplement may help. For the most part though, it is a waste. With that said, there should be no danger by taking both Propecia and Saw Palmentto at the same time. SP might not help against hair loss but it is still reported to be beneficial to your prostate so it is not a total waste.....

Good luck to you!

Saw Palmetto is supposed to be good and an alternative to Propeica really. get the 85% berry extract
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    Saw Palmetto is supposed to be good and an alternative to Propeica really. get the 85% berry extract
    The what?

Please explain.

I've heard some anecdotal evidence that Saw Palmetto helps, but I've also heard a lot of people say it did nothing for their hair. From what I've read and seen, I would say that you almost certainly won't get the results from SP that you would from Propecia.
    That said, SP may be worth trying if Propecia causes unwanted side effects, or if you're one of the people who doesn't respond well to finasteride. But if you're not in one of those two categories, I wouldn't encourage dropping Propecia for Palmetto... just try taking both at first, if you're that keen on trying this remedy.

how abt having SP and Propecia at the same time, do u think the strength in inhabiting DHT would be stronger!

Hey Guys, I started Saw Palmetto about 10 days ago and I had my blood tested right before to check my serum DHT levels. I am going to go back on Friday and have the same test run to see if the stuff actually works or not. I don't understand why all the information about this stuff is anecdotal when its effectiveness can easily be tested by drawing blood.

Keep the hair, apologies for not replying sooner - i missed this question.
    There are different types of saw palmetto, my understanding and it the 85% berry extract product that is the one associated with helping DHT.

I will try dig up some info on it
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Well, I got my results back. My DHT before was 62 ng/dl. My DHT after two weeks on Saw Palmetto is 22 ng/dl. So, the good news is that it does appear to be lowering my DHT. The bad news is, my total testosterone dropped from 500 to 313, which is on the low side, but my free testosterone went up from 59 to 72.

Perhaps one of the doctors on the board could comment on this. First, is a drop in serum DHT all I need to think about with regard to hair loss prevention. This is a pretty significant reduction and I am assuming if I can maintain this reduced level of DHT that the amount in my scalp tissue will eventually drop just like it would on finasteride or dutasteride. Is my thinking correct? Also, any thoughts on why my testosterone might drop? It seems that the inhibition of 5-AR would increase my testosterone, which is generally the case with finasteride.

If SP and Propecia do the exact same thing (in lowering DHT), why would SP be any safer than Propecia in terms of side effects? Can anyone explain the reasoning here?