+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grinds my gears

Default Grinds my gears

You know what grinds my gears?!

When people ask why am I worrying about my when your suppose to loose 100-200 in a day any ways?

100-200 you say???

Heres 100 in 2 minutes!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT3032.jpg

Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	7140  

I shed similar when I started minox

You recently started anything?

yea I started propecia 3 weeks ago, but I've been shedding like this on and off for 3 months

Talk about Rapid Male Pattern Baldness!

What the hell is wrong with me?!

This is the 3rd consecutive day in a row where I loose so much hair in the sink! I never really check, but I've been really concerned about it lately and I'm just devastated...

Is this what MPB is? is this telogen effluvium? I seem to be loosing hair from every where...
    I just need some answers!!!

What MPB treatments are you using, and when did you start them? A heavy shedding phase often accompanies the early parts of a new MPB remedy.
    I have been on Propecia for maybe a couple months, and just recently started shedding a lot. I've heard of others experiencing the same thing several months into their finasteride regimen, so I'm not worried - this is a part of the treatment process.
    I thought I noticed some excess shedding when I started Nizoral shampoo as well, but I'm not as sure about that.

propecia is the only thing I started, which was about 3 weeks ago. Other than that, I haven't used any thing else, and this shedding has been going on for a couple or a few months now...

I have no idea why or whats wrong, I can't really find any answers on whether its telogen, or rapid mpb. It maybe caused by some other ailment that I'm not aware of, but I have no idea what or where to start :/

Quote Originally Posted by NvIs View Post
    propecia is the only thing I started, which was about 3 weeks ago. Other than that, I haven't used any thing else, and this shedding has been going on for a couple or a few months now...

I have no idea why or whats wrong, I can't really find any answers on whether its telogen, or rapid mpb. It maybe caused by some other ailment that I'm not aware of, but I have no idea what or where to start :/
    Ok. First, go to a doctor and explain/show your hair loss. At that point, you may be able to discover if it's something other than MPB (they can run blood tests, etc.) However, over 90% of men who lose their hair are in some phase of MPB, so if that's your situation, take the following steps.

*Get a prescription for 2% ketoconazole shampoo (aka Nizoral shampoo) and use it once every 2-4 days (I use it every 2, but try every 3 or 4 if it bothers your scalp). Thoroughly rub it in while in the shower, and leave it for 4-5 minutes before rinsing.

*Try starting 5% minoxidil solution. Use it twice per day and keep an eye out for side effects - if you don't notice any after several months, try gradually increasing the concentration beyond 5%. I think you can buy formulas with 5-20% minoxidil, though that strength might need an rx or at least a special order. Make sure you pay attention to directions such as not getting your hair wet for a certain amount of time after application.

*Continue using Propecia. If you are still losing ground after more than 8-10 months, try increasing your daily dose. If that still doesn't work, you could consider Avodart, which is stronger but is NOT proven to be safe as a long-term MPB treatment.

*If all else fails, there are some supplements (usually marketed as "natural") that aren't proven but may have some minor benefit if added to the above regimen. These include saw palmetto, nettle extract, green tea extract and others. However, these should be a last resort IMO, because it is very possible that they simply do not work.