+ Reply to Thread

Default Should I proceed with a HT if I won't take Finasteride?

Hi all.

I am a 47 yo male and have made contact with a few clinics in Turkey. Most have suggested that I am a Norwood 3-4 and that I would need 3000-3500 grafts in order to improve (lower) my hairline and improve density in the mid scalp and crown areas. Most have said that taking Finasteride is important otherwise hair loss will continue and leave me with an unnatural look i.e. thin or bald patches behind the newly created frontal hairline. Given my age, I was kinda of the opinion that my hair loss has, to a degree, stabilised (I realise that it hasn't stopped completely).

I have severe reservations about taking Finasteride as I hope to have children within the next year or two and don't want the associated sides. Some of my friends have experienced the sides and so they are relatively common it seems. I may consider taking Fin in the future but would prefer not to for a year or two. With this in mind, should I delay having a HT or could I proceed which would give me the improved hair I crave now? In the absence of taking Fin, my options further down the line could be SMP, buzz cut or even a second HT? I haven't had an HT before and so hopefully my donor area would have enough to harvest from in the future.

I get the clinics saying not taking Fin could lead to an unnatural look n the future but it doesn't exactly look great now with the receding front corners and crown. I just want to have good hair for a few years and probably won't care so much when I am in my mid 50's when I could just shave it off or get a buzz cut. Thinning crown areas are pretty natural anyway I think. Have attached some pics and would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hair.jpg

Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	69295   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201030_092542.jpg

Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	69296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201012-165006_WhatsApp.jpg

Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	69297  

Tough situation. You'll need your wits to deal with the hormonal swings from your baby mama all throughout pregnancy and postpartum. So the potential brain fog from finasteride is something you need to consider as well.

But I still think you can get your first HT as long as you approach your expectations for your 1st procedure conservatively. I would not seek to lower the hairline with your first procedure. Ignore the crown entirely with your first HT. Just fill in the temple corners. Have your baby. Make sure your baby mama doesn't have any postpartum issues, then start finasteride. If finasteride stablizes your hairloss, at this point, now you can get aggressive: lower the hairline, get crown work, get temple work done.

The only thing I would caution is that HT is stressful for first timers. The ugly duckling stage is trying. If you know what you are up against, feel you can handle the mental toll, plus try to conceive, I say go for it. Pick a good surgeon though.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerWong76 View Post
    Tough situation. You'll need your wits to deal with the hormonal swings from your baby mama all throughout pregnancy and postpartum. So the potential brain fog from finasteride is something you need to consider as well.

But I still think you can get your first HT as long as you approach your expectations for your 1st procedure conservatively. I would not seek to lower the hairline with your first procedure. Ignore the crown entirely with your first HT. Just fill in the temple corners. Have your baby. Make sure your baby mama doesn't have any postpartum issues, then start finasteride. If finasteride stablizes your hairloss, at this point, now you can get aggressive: lower the hairline, get crown work, get temple work done.

The only thing I would caution is that HT is stressful for first timers. The ugly duckling stage is trying. If you know what you are up against, feel you can handle the mental toll, plus try to conceive, I say go for it. Pick a good surgeon though.
    Thanks man. Great advice to go conservative on the first one. I guess that in turn will cause a bit less stress as I move through the ugly duckling phase as I should return to my pre-op look within a few weeks of surgery.

Thanks.