+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default GOD NO!!!! Hairdx response test came back

I tested "negative" for the short allele CAG>22

I have a CAG allele of 27

according to their literature i have a "70% change of only a SLIGHT response to finisteride"

its one worst thing after another in my life. First I lose my job, now this sh**

I've been on propecia for a year and it did nothing.

Currently, I am on both propecia and avodart. I dont care about the side affects of combining them. But let me tell you, they do nothing. My hair continues to fall out at a constant rate.

I count 20-25 in the shower daily.

my blood DHT is 14 low (normal is 25-75)

Most doctor's would say that it is normal to lose up to 100 hairs a day, even if you are not going bald. I would say that losing 20-25 hairs in the shower is below the average amount that someone loses.

Quote Originally Posted by Refuse2GoBald View Post
    Most doctor's would say that it is normal to lose up to 100 hairs a day, even if you are not going bald. I would say that losing 20-25 hairs in the shower is below the average amount that someone loses.

I really dont believe in the 100 day hair loss. If this was true, my whole house would be filled with hair every where as I live with 7 people!! I lose 25 in the shower...this is what I count on my hands when shampooing my hair for 5 minutes. I lose 2 more when combing my hair afterwards, and maybe 3 more when first wetting my hair. So 30 that I count total.........I doubt there is another 70 that I lost out there to make a 100, because believe me, I'm very vigilant when I lose some hair and I would def have noticed losing 70 more hairs.

My rule of thumb for everyone: If your losing less than 10 hairs in the shower, your golden. Any more, I would worry like crazy.

You can always add something like fluridil/spironolactone to your regimen. It really should do a lot of good.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepTheHair View Post
    You can always add something like fluridil/spironolactone to your regimen. It really should do a lot of good.

Ok just bought 2 boxes. Hopefully I will see results in the next 2 months. I'm so desperate.

I'd be wise not to jump into any medication that fast but yeah... I use it and it's great in my opinion. My shedding is very low and my hair looks decent.

If you have a finasteride + fluridil regimen you should have good results. An unlucky minority might not get sufficient results with finasteride alone.

Let us know how it goes, though 2 months is probably not enough to judge.

Default Hair DX test results are damn near meaningless

I've posted this in a thread before, but don't get too worked up about the results. I got mine done last year, I was positive for the short allele and my CAG score was 19. After a year of propecia and over a year of varied amounts of avodart (.5mg up to 2.5mg per day), guess what? Nothing worked. My hair loss has continued at an extremely fast rate and I'm down to minimal coverage in the crown. Actually you can see through what's left of my hair now, my scalp is just not totally barren. Still, DX test results suggest that those medications would have a great effect on me. I quote, "A man that tested positive for the "SHORT" CAG allele of the AR gene had approximately a 70% chance of great response (ie. hair re-growth) using 1 mg daily dosage of Finasteride for 48 weeks."

As I wrote before, it's a waste of money. Maybe they do indicate whether or not your receptors react well with decreased dht, however if you have 10 receptors per follicle vs. 1 receptor, it's still going to be too much for any dht inhibitor to counter. That's just one other factor that the DX test does not account for.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinFast View Post
    My hair loss has continued at an extremely fast rate and I'm down to minimal coverage in the crown. Actually you can see through what's left of my hair now, my scalp is just not totally barren.
    Like the rate my hair falling out now...that exactly what I'm predicting!! 1 year from now I will be considered bald. I'm so incredibly desperate right now, that I'm willing to try anything to stop it. Please, if you have any tips send it my way. I need something extraordinary that will hit it hard. I'm currently on BOTH finesteride and dutas. I just started minox 2% and building by way up to 5%.