+ Reply to Thread

Default Weight Lifting and Hair Loss

I've been wondering about this topic for a while. I just want to see other peoples' opinions on it. Lifting weights does cause a spike in testosterone for about an hour after the workout. This testosterone does have time after every workout/day to create DHT. But what if after every workout and also every day you use shampoo that takes out DHT such as Nioxin?

There is no real evidence to suggest that the spike of testosterone a person experiences after weightlifting or having sex effects hair loss in anyway. FYI, Nioxin does not help with DHT.

Actually, ketoconazole is a 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor and therefore is effective at reducing DHT; it's just not strong enough in the doses available in the available shampoos to do more than preserve your existing hair (if it can do even that).

It can also be taken orally and can inhibit the production of testosterone. However, when taken this way it doesn't seem to have any impact on hair growth and can have serious side effects, so this is not recommended!

There's nothing wrong with exploring theories but I would not even concern yourself about potentisl spikes in test levels from weighttraining. Look at it another way, exercise increases blood flow which is surely good for you and ultimately, your hair.

Weight training does not cause hairloss but if you are concerned about testosterone spikes then better abstain from sex too....

If you train, you inevitably shower so there'd be no harm timing your hair wash afterwards

Ok so even if people say that weight training does not lead to hair loss, hypothetically if it did (because even though there is no evidence to support it it seems to make sense to me) what could you possible do to help.