+ Reply to Thread

Smile Concealers after hair transplant?

Hello--

I am seeking advice/input on the use of concealers after a hair transplant.

I am a Norwood 5A with hair high up on my sides. My front balding has met my crown, but the width between the sides at the top of my head is less than a pocket comb turned on its side.

And I'm not completely bald right down the middle, either. There is still hair there, albeit very thin and sparse.

I also have an island of hair in the center of my forehead. (no hair behind or around it, though).

As a result of this balding pattern, I can actually part my hair on the side without it looking like some dreaded comb over. It's thin to be sure, but its a lot more than five hairs swooped over from just above my ear.

A little Pro-Thik and I can "create" the illusion of hair in the front and it frames the face.

Not perfect, but its worked for years.

Anyway, to business:

I have decided to get a 4,000 graph procedure from the best-- Ron Shapiro. He was the first pick on a very short list that included 4 surgeons. One of the others was his brother, Paul Shapiro and the final two had the initials H&W.

I work in an office. I expect to have at least 10 full days after the procedure, perhaps as long as 14.

I am under no illusions, but returning to the office with a shaved head post op is really not an option.

It's been agreed that my hair on the high sides will not be shaved down. My hope and expectation is that I can continue to comb my hair as before and use the Pro-Thik as before starting day 11 post op.

The ultimate goal is to hide as much of the transplant as possible while it grows in.

My concern is that by using concealers that it will lead to poor growth. My research to date says that is not the case, but I am looking for feedback from members have been in similar circumstances.

Not using concealers during the grow out phase and just "toughing it out" is not an option. It's not a matter of fooling people so "no one will know"-- it's more about looking as "normal" (for me) as possible post op vs. pre op.

Thanks for any input.

Hal

Thumbs up

The general consensus seems to be that once the hair in "anchored" which takes no more then a week, that using concealers should not effect growth at all. Have you asked Dr. Shapiro about this? I'm sure many of his patients use concealers after their hair transplants.

You have chosen an excellent doc

This topic may help.
    http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthr...ght=concealers
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm confident in the skills of Dr. Shapiro and feel he is the very best in the field.

I also think he has a loyal, well trained team of technicians.

Many people tend to overlook this when choosing a surgeon. But after all, who is cutting the graphs and doing the implantations?

Does the surgeon have enough technicians to prevent fatigue during a long procedure? do they work well together? do they have years of experience? are they committed to the success of the practice and the procedure or is it just a job?

As I said, it was a very short list. I'm happy with my choice!

Hal

So the answer is you can continue to use concealers?

How did you speak the doctor into not shaving down the other hair you do have so you can continue to conceal your present situation as you do now..

Thats really what is holding me back..believe it or not..

I understand 2 weeks without concealers but the shaving of hair in surrounding areas kind of leaves me with cold feet..

any suggestions of how you spoke with the doctor to NOT shave surrounding areas would be greatly appreciated..

First, different doctors have different policies about shaving.

Some insist on it, other will work around the issue if the procedure is going to be relatively small.

They can work around existing hair, but it can be time consuming and there could also be risk of transecting existing hair-- it's much easier for the doctor and the team of technicians to see what their doing when the target areas are shaved down.

That said, I simply explained to the doctor's people that I couldn't be shaved down because of my work situation-- that it was basically a deal breaker if we couldn't work something out.

There was no big argument or pressure to change my mind. It was simply agreed that with my balding pattern and remaining hair, it would be fairly easily to work around the small areas up on the high sides without shaving down.

The front 1/3 of my head doesn't have hair (except the remaining forelock) and the crown is bald as well (baseball size). So most of the area they need to work on is clear.
    I did ask them to put in writing that we discussed the issue and would not have to be shaved down. I don't want the issue becoming a problem the day of surgery.

So that's the plan-- in my case, the balding pattern allows an easy work around.

It's not the same in every case.

I would go to the doctor you're working with and explain your situation honestly and ask what can be done (if anything). Try to ascertain if they CAN'T do it, or WON'T do it

You might also have to live with a trade off-- if you don't shave down, you might have to accept a smaller procedure because of the time/fatigue factor. You will have to accept the risk of transection of existing hair. Also shock loss.

The bottom line if they say "no way" is that you're going to have to bite the bullet and shave down. Either that or find another surgeon that you feel comfortable with who will work with you on the issue.

That said, I don't think there's any magic formula with words that's going to allow you to sweet talk the doctor in to letting you keep the hair if its determined it's got to go to do the procedure.

In that instance, it might be better to try to come up with a game plan of what to tell the people at the office.

Hal

thanks Hal. Good luck with your hair transplant. I'll have to think about this further and decide what I want to do.

I'd also prefer not to have portions of my head shaved down if possible. (other than the donor portion racing stripe )