+ Reply to Thread

Default What does scalp look like after HT?

Hi guys,
    I was wondering what the scalp looks like after a HT, and if it's noticeable that you've gotten a HT. I've seen pictures of scalps right after surgery, but what does it look like after a week or so? A month? Do people just walk around with visible baby hairs on their hairline, or do people hide it somehow? I can't imagine that men would go outside with a scalp that screams hair transplant. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckerine11 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I was wondering what the scalp looks like after a HT, and if it's noticeable that you've gotten a HT. I've seen pictures of scalps right after surgery, but what does it look like after a week or so? A month? Do people just walk around with visible baby hairs on their hairline, or do people hide it somehow? I can't imagine that men would go outside with a scalp that screams hair transplant. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

THat's why many guys will wear a cap post-op until things look normal again. Caps are fine as long as they are not tightly fitted.

The appearance post-op will depend on several things. Some patients utilize a post-op healing supplement called Graftcyte. It comes in spray form and can be purchased online. It is applied to the recipient area throughout the day for three days post-op. There are other products that you can research but the whole idea is to facilitate the healing process so you look better quicker. Many docs simply recommend the use of spraying saline mixture over the area for three to five days post-op.

A very small percent of the HT populus experiences a lingering redness in the area including the donor area. There are variables in colagen levels between patients, etc., things like that which can affect the coloration of the area post-op.

The tip of the grafts will turn into crusts almost immediately post-op. The crusts are nothing more than dried tissue and blood. They will fall off roughly 7-10 days post-op. Some patients have exisitng native hair within their recipient areas so the crusts are not very visible. It's when a patient is starting with a completely bald surface area that covering one's scalp with a cap, bandana, etc. becomes necessary to hide the crusts.

If the patient is a much slower healer for whatever reasons, the visible effects from the surgery may still be noticed for a longer period.

Keep looking for more and more post-op pics online. Keep researching too!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Thanks alot, Gill.
    So, say if a person is getting a new hairline (hence hair on a previously bald spot), what does it look like after the crusting falls off and the redness subsides? Does it just look like short hairs on the hairline?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Buckerine11 View Post
    Thanks alot, Gill.
    So, say if a person is getting a new hairline (hence hair on a previously bald spot), what does it look like after the crusting falls off and the redness subsides? Does it just look like short hairs on the hairline?
    Hello Bukerine11,

Great Response Gillenator.

We'll see what we can do about having an IAHRS surgeon provide you with an example of some hairline post-op photos.