+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Be aware of OCD

Default Be aware of OCD

Hi,

Its not uncommon to have OCD tendencies, i have them! After helping many guys over the years its clear that OCD resides in many of us as hair loss suffers , if not all to some degree - and this condition is only brought to the surface only too quickly when dealing with our hair loss issues, as we have little control.

I think its vital as a potential hair loss sufferer and especially Hair transplant patient you be aware of this; as OCD is a condition that can control your mind set more than you realise and you can become a little bit too fixated on things causing you further stress and frustration. Perspective gets lost.

I think also if you are aware you have OCD (many of us do) then you need to consider this when embarking into HT's as will you actually ever be happy.... will OCD allow you to be?

Some patients i have met and liaised with should never of had Ht surgery IMHO , not because their physical situation didn't make them eligible but their
    mind, because i dont honestly feel these patients will achieve their desired goal, as will not be satisfied with whatever the outcome even if the BEST hair transplant in the world. This is my opinion.

Although Doctors gauge the patients eligibility regarding HT 's physically, they too should gain a knowledge on a patients OCD tendencies too. Not always easy as patients may not be truly aware they have OCD or how surgery can amplify these tendencies. If patients know they have it i think its VITAL they inform the chosen Doc.

Classic example: Looking at hair in the mirror more than 5-10 times a day via same and different mirrors ;-)

Please feel free to add in a light hearted manner to help us all see that OCD actually is present in hair loss suffers as if you are aware of it its a benefit to you as you can try control it.

OCD explained:

Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness, apprehension, fear, or worry, by repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing anxiety, or by a combination of such thoughts (obsessions) and behaviors (compulsions).

Symptoms may include repetitive handwashing; extensive hoarding; preoccupation withsexual or aggressive impulses, or with particular religious beliefs; aversion to odd numbers; and nervous habits, such as opening a door and closing it a certain number of times before one enters or leaves a room. These symptoms can be alienating and time-consuming, and often cause severe emotional and financial distress. The acts of those who have OCD may appearparanoid and come across to others as psychotic.

However, OCD sufferers generally recognize their thoughts and subsequent actions as irrational, and they may become further distressed by this realization. OCD is the fourth-most-common mental disorder, and is diagnosed nearly as often as asthma and diabetes mellitus.[1] In the United States, one in 50 adults has OCD.[2] The phrase "obsessive–compulsive" has become part of the English lexicon, and is often used in an informal or caricatured manner to describe someone who is meticulous, perfectionistic, absorbed in a cause, or otherwise fixated on something or someone.[3] Although these signs may be present in OCD, a person who exhibits them does not necessarily have OCD, and may instead have obsessive–compulsive personality disorder(OCPD), an autism spectrum disorder, or no clinical condition. Multiple psychological and biological factors may be involved in causing obsessive–compulsive syndromes.
    Last edited by Spex; 10-12-2010 at 04:10 AM.
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.