+ Reply to Thread

Default Will cutting my hair benefit me?

I haven't gotten a single haircut since I started Finasteride 5 months ago. My hair on the top gets greasy/thin looking the day after I shampoo. The top is definitely thinner than the sides/back of my hair. The sides/back of my hair are so thick. The day after I shampoo you can tell the top of my hair is definitely thinner. How I wish the top of my hair was as thick as the sides

Will I notice any difference if I cut 2-3 inches off? I am assuming the ends of the hair strands are very thin because this is before I was on Finasteride. I am not entirely sure if my hair got thicker. It doesn't really look it.

I don't like how I look with short hair, but I am considering cutting it by 2-3 inches if it will look thicker.

It's hard to say without more information (i.e. we don't know how long your hair is now). Typically thin hair looks better shorter and layered, but not too short. My hair is thin/flat on top and thick on the sides and in the back, and I typically tell my barber to only cut the sides and back every other visit, and then she layers the top with a light trim during my following visit. You should also be using minox, and I'm not sure if you'll see results from Finasteride after 5 months. It takes up to a year for some people to notice a difference. There are some good products out there to use too. I use a brown hair enhancer and a dry paste to add some volume on top.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Shorter hair cuts generally do not make the hair look thicker. It may make all the hair look more uniform and de-emphasize the areas that are thinner.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile