+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I look around me at board meetings and there is not a single bald man in the room - except of course for me. I was not bald when I was offered the job. I do agree that getting ahead in corporate America (or corporate Brittain) is far more difficult for a bald/balding man that for a man with a full head of hair. I highly doubt that I would ever have been hired had I been bald when I was interviewed for my job. That said, I highly doubt that I would have ever even been invited to interview for the job if I were African American or Hispanic. Corporate America sickens me. Hollywood is even worse. This is the world we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixed by 35 View Post
    I don't think I've explained this properly before and my view has therefore attracted derision. The obvious argument is that there are bald men who are successful and therefore the argument that being bald impedes success must necessarily be incorrect. Well, actually, it depends how you measure success.

The rule of thumb others seem to use fails to consider a number of factors which must be taken into account. These include hard work, effort, personality and raw ability. Indeed, many just list what I call the 'three meat heads' and unless you want to become a retarded action 'hero' provide no examples of successful bald men for inspiration. The few who see past this see rich bald men with good looking women and think 'aha, it is possible.'

I don't think success should be measured in such a simplistic linear fashion. For a start, the successful bald man could have become successful before he began to lose his hair; therefore, a question mark has to be placed over anyone over the age of 30 who is a success as to whether they are a valid statistic.

However, the main focus should be on the question as to whether a man's combination of abilities and hard work deliver the success he deserves. My measure of success begins with the assertion that society should strive to get as close to this formula as possible:

Effort + Hard Work + Ability = Success

A successful person is one who can say their personal formula is this:

Success > Effort + Hard Work + Ability

Many celebrities, for example, will often be more successful than their discernable talent suggests they should be. In the UK, any idiot can go on reality TV and become a star with no hard work whatsoever. Of course, the unsuccessful formula is:

Effort + Hard Work + Ability > Success

My argument is that for all the effort, hard work and ability put in by a bald man, they'll never receive the level of success they deserve. The same is true for other people who also suffer physical deficiencies, such as being short, having really bad skin or missing half their teeth!

So, you might know a bald man who is a senior manager in a successful company. He looks like a success. However, his CEO might be less talented or qualified than he is and could well have not had to work as hard to get where they are. Or perhaps compare Patrick Stewart, a brilliant actor, with the mediocre George Clooney. Politics is a good place to see this lack of success; William Hague is far less vacuous than David Cameron, but his lack of hair dictates he's reached his peak.

On a wider scale, I would argue that most bald men put more effort and hard work with less reward than those with hair because bald men are perceived as less intelligent and less inspiring. And that's our reality, like it or not.