Medications may be reducing effectiveness of Propecia?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pc97200
    • Oct 2010

Medications may be reducing effectiveness of Propecia?

I have been using Propecia 1 mg with very good results for approximately 15 years. I have also had a hair transplant whose results were ok (not great), and the Propecia really helped with "filling in" the spots where the old-style grafts weren't. Recently it seems that the hair that Propecia was helping me keep is rapidly disappearing, because the grafts are now much more visible than they had been. This coincides with me taking the following medications for the last 8-12 months, and I'm wondering if anyone else has had any of these medications reduce the effectiveness of Propecia: oxycodone/Percocet, lyrica (pregabapentin), wellbutrin(brupropion). I've also had to take a lot more ibuprofen during this period.

Could it also be that Propecia is just becoming less effective over time? It had been doing a very good job for 15 years.

Thanks for any insight.
  • dgman21
    • Sep 2010

Actually I'm on wellbutrin since March and I know my hair has gotten a lot worse recently...I'm also on suboxone/subutex for 4 years but then I stopped for 2months in May but got back on it cause I couldn't function. I've been on propecia 1mg for 3 years. I just uped the dose to 2mgs.. I wonder if the wellbutrin and subutex is messing my hair up.?

Comment

• gillenator
      • Dec 2008

I have been on finasteride since 1996 with continued success.

I also been on varying pain killers including several you mentioned.

I have also been on Wellbutrin for 10 years continually.

No hair loss noted from any of them.

I did experience a massive shed in my crown area when I switched to the foam version of Rogaine.
      "Gillenator"
      Independent Patient Advocate
      more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

• dgman21
        • Sep 2010

My hairloss seems like it has had such a dramatic change in 2-3 months..How is that possible? Can stress cause extreme hairloss and shedding to the extreme in just 2-3 months??

Comment

• gillenator
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by dgman21
          My hairloss seems like it has had such a dramatic change in 2-3 months..How is that possible? Can stress cause extreme hairloss and shedding to the extreme in just 2-3 months??
          Stress in addition to the other factors can advance the rate of our hairloss. Are there any other events or factors going on right now? Getting a handle on our stress certainly can help. It won't stop the loss altogethor.
          "Gillenator"
          Independent Patient Advocate
          more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Comment

Working...