+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Realistic Expectations...

I've been objectively looking at a lot of before and afters from several doctors and I have to say I have seen a LOT of what I would call, disappointing results.

I have been considering a hair transplant for a long time now...but there are a ton of reasons not to jump into it. I am considering FUE.

I have some questions for the more educated users and doctors.

What is the average density someone without any hair loss would have?

What is the average amount of hair someone without hair loss would have on the top front of his head per square inch or cm and how does that compare to what he would have in that area after 1 transplant if there was NOTHING?

Any density comparisons would really be helpful.

What is the density that I will have in an area that will be part of what is a lowered hairline, meaning in that area there wasn't any hair so there isn't any shock loss worries.

I know that you don't need a super thick density to make it look like the real deal...but I just want to know so I can think about it realistically. I have seen some very, very thin hair after hair transplants. Which I think is to be expected.

I realize it is impossible to get the teenage density again. That is not what I want. My hair is great, where I have it. On top of my head is fine, everything else is thick and a lot of people would really want my hair I guess.

But, it is very far receded and I really cant wear my hair too short or long or whatever it has to be just right. It's somewhat annoying.

So I was thinking of getting FUE to gain some more thickness and lower the hair line. But I just don't think what I want can be accomplished.

I just don't know if it'l be worth it. Pictures and even video online aren't very accurate at portraying the results. Few doctors give good photos, VERY few. Even some IAHRS doctors don't post pictures with good perspectives and lighting.

If anyone can say anything or give some advice or whatever go ahead.

I have attached a rough picture of what my hairloss looks like. My head and hair is a little different though, but this gives a rough idea. I want to know if I can actually possibly lower it like this and have it appear thick enough. How many grafts would this take? Can it be accomplished in 1 session?

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	harrr.jpg

Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	6842  

The image I attached gives a very rough idea. I actually want the majority of the hair on top and I made it look as to include too much temple regions...but whatever. This is a rough idea.

Lemme know. I am curious

Also, rough price RANGES would be very helpful also.

hi,
    There are so MANY variables as HT is not an exact science that its impossible to give you EXACT info.

I would say you would require approx 1500 - 1800 graft session, however all depends on ur personal hair characteristics as these play a vital role in the illusion. The density of the plant would be determined on the hair characteristic and the existing density of native hair.

The key is donor management, ie not using any more than you have to to create the illusion of competing density so that you have supply to meet demand down the line, come what may regarding further loss. Always something to consider at the forfront of any ht plan.

Someone without hairloss may have 90 hairs per cm 2

An appropriate HT depending on the charateristic could be planted at 55 - 65 cm2 to give the illusion of the same density. It all depends on potential further loss as you do not want touse too much hair up and need it further back if loss progresses ;-)

My HT hairline is approx 55 cm 2 and it blends in perfect with my native and looks as think, however my native is thicker. its the illusion that makes it appear the same density.

I have had my ht scrutinzed by 100's no one could tell it was a HT - and it was a repair!
    Regards
    spex

Name:	pre%20hairline.jpg

Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	6893  
    Last edited by Spex; 10-08-2010 at 10:36 AM.
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

after 900 FUE repair

Name:	1%20year%20top1.jpg

Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	6894  

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Hair Transplants and Expectations:

I think its very important that guys venturing into HT's have a very good understanding of THEIR "expectations". Its important that perspective patients understand that essentially THEIR hair's characteristic, donor supply, donor density, laxity, physiology play the most vital role in the short/long term success of their HT. (Along with appropriate planning with a competent Doc) ie. Understanding that Patient X's hair characteristic may provide them with a completely different cosmetic result compared to Patient Y's - even though they had similar graft counts.

Obviously we all try to compare our own situations to various posters with similar loss patterns and we all obviously hope for results like, Jotronic, Hairroot,Bushy, PB, Garageland, etc.. BUT although the perspective patient feels they are very similar doesn't necessarily mean they are going to end up with the same result - especially not first time round - and this is where "Expectations" need to be kept realistic.

The most appropriate surgery possible will be performed on the patient (doc dependant) applying their supply to their demand - off the back of the patients goal, requirements, hair characteristic, donor supply etc. - to enable the patient to reach the max potential from 1 surgery but more surgery potentially will be required in order to reach the finally goal.

Everyone wants to have their situations resolved first time round via HT's but this is very rare. No one gets just one HT - Even guys with minimal loss will obtain hair greed and want even more. Nature of the beast - hair and money..., we always want more.

Point i am trying to get across here is have a "realistic expectation" first time round of what you are setting out to achieve - and be aware that YOU the patient need to be aware of the variables that you bring to the table so to speak - Its at this point the experience of the Doc is applied in order to enable YOU to reach the max potential from YOUR session - - again taking into account YOUR characteristics, donor supply, loss pattern, personal goal, donor density, laxity, physiology, previous surgery..... etc

Hair characteristics

Hair characteristics play a vital role in the overall illusion and success of a HT. Some patients have more favourable hair characteristics and therefore need less grafts to gain their personal goal. Someone with fine, straight, thin hair is going to require more grafts to achieve a similar result than for example someone with coarse, wavy, thick hair.

Remember Hair transplantation is the "art of illusion". With the appropriate placement and use of your hairs characteristic the illusion can be achieved very well - the more favourable your hair characteristic is ie; wavy, thick hair means the illusion can occur with fewer grafts if positioned correctly.

Our hairs characteristics all vary but be aware of your own when embarking into HT's and how it can aid or not aid the illusion. In brief - Patients with very similar loss patterns may not have the same hair characteristic. Therefore they will require a different amount of grafts to achieve a similar result in terms of illusion, coverage, density.

Hair transplants are all about the art of illusion ;-)

Thanks for the very good information.

I will read it over again and etc

Do you have your before and after photos? I will try to find it if its on the forum

Ok, saw the results with the blog entry. Good results

mhh

keep the hair, aren't you only 20 yrs old? I highly doubt an ethical doctor would transplant on you this young. Wait 5 yrs then revisit the situation.