+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hair loss at 18

Default Hair loss at 18

Hello all

I am 19 year old who had experienced hair loss. I just wanted opinion from you all regarding the possible cause for my hair loss

I had full head of hair 4 years ago. I started my preparations for my university entrance examinations back then. I was only focused on preparing for that. For 2 years I had concentrated on my studies only. I didnt shampoo my hair much. I used to take just a shower for my hair without applying soap or something. I was so stressed after 1 year that I started getting brain fogs, bruxism and all. Those were signs that I had intense stress. I didnt even exercise for those 2 years. Just concentrated on studies. By the end of 2 years of my preparation. I suddenly noticed receded hairline at the temples of my head. I freaked out. Because for the last 2 years I never bothered to take a look at my hairline or smthing. I didnt even took much care of my hair, just plain shower, shampoo maybe a few times. I was also very underweight for my height for those 2 years. I also had Vitamin d deficiency during those years. After noticing my hairline which had receded, I started becoming more concerned of my hair health. I had clicked a pic of my hairline 2 years back. I consulted my doctor because I started seeing hairs falling out everyday because I was so underweight and didnt eat much nutritious food. So he recommended me Biotin pills. Since the usage of biotin, proper exercise, eating healthy food everyday, i barely see any hair on my pillow since the last 2 years. MY HAIRLINE IS STILL AT THAT RECEDED STATE WHICH IT WAS 2 years ago. It hasnt progressed since then.

My father has full head of hair (just receded hairline )even at his late 50s, my maternal grandfather had just receded hairline only at his 50s but had hair on his crown. My pateral grandfather also had full head of hair.

So from all this, is my hairloss mainly due to stress, poor nutrition, vitamjn d deficiency,lack of exercise (I was sitting on the chair all day), lack of proper hair care??? I AM REALLY WORRIED ABOUT THIS. My hairline is arrested at that stage since 2 years tho

I have thick hair on my crown. Just recded hairline at both of my temples which can he hidden my surrounding hair. So others wont see my recded hairline unless I put my hair upwards.

Can you post some pictures? If the loss was due to nutritional deficiency or stress-related, it should ideally grow back in two years. Maybe you are receding but its really really slow considering your family history. I'd wait for a year or two and reassess or consult a dermatalogist to see if its AGA.

Sounds like MPD and genetics just has a way of combining in ways that is unpredictable, despite current family predisposition, or lack thereof. Some pics can help us advise you better.

If it is MPD, I can tell you at the age of 19, I was in same boat. I did nothing until my mid-40's. During all those years, I mastered combing my hair in such ways to hide my receding hairline. I was so good at it, I even got compliments on my hair and the ladies would always tell me they liked my hair. All the while I was a NW3 and always in a catatonic state wondering if anyone would ever spot my receding hairline. Between the age of 19 and mid-40's, if I had it all over again, I would have jumped on finasteride right away. See if it stabilizes your hair loss over the course of a year. If it does, then jump on minoxidil. Don't start both at the same time, so you know if one benefits you, you can continue to take it. If you start at the same time, you won't know which one is working for you.

But yeah, please post pics.