Default How to know if it's an Estrogen or Testosterone Problem?

My hairloss started when I was 39, stopped for 6 months in which much of it started growing back, and now has been going on for the past 6 months again. I have also had the burning/creepy crawly sensations on my scalp. My scalp is also very flaky. I have no obvious signs of peri-menopause.

My total testosterone is 36, Free testosterone is .6, and DHEA Serum is 149.

What is the best way to figure out if my problem is due to low estrogen, or testosterone sensitivity?

Thats a great question. I have the same symptoms as you, except almost no, or very little dandruff. I am 60 so wonder if menopause might be the problem rather then testosterone sensitivity. And mine didn't stop for 6 months. Maybe slowed down for a couple. Mine has been going on for 1.5 years. I would love to know what Dr. Redmond says. I would hate to have to start spiro if my problem may only be due to menopause. low estrogen? Estrogen dominance? Dht? Does dht mean testosterone sensitivity? Is that the rsult of testosterone sensitivity?

Unhappy creepy, crawly feelings in scalp

I am just looking through some former posts and I find it interesting to see that others who are experiencing hair loss have those "creepy, crawly feelings" in your scalp. I thought it was just me. However, I don't have them only in my scalp, but also in my feet and hands at times(that is where it started and then when I started noticing a lot of hair fall, it began in my scalp). I am expecting a call tomorrow from my GYN who I have asked to give me a name of a good endocrinologist. I would like to have all the hormone tests. I have had all the other blood tests, and also have been tested for a vitamin D deficiency and lupus, but all results are good except my iron and ferritin are on the low end of the normal range. I am 58 and have been through menopause, so I am searching for answers as to why 6 - 8 months ago I started having all these wierd body sensations and major hot flashes all over my body. The only thing left are the hormone tests . . . My hair was super thick and I have probably lost about half of it(thank goodness it is still thick enough that it is not obvious to others except my hairdresser).
    I didn't have any major menopausal symptoms, so maybe it is payback time??

Medical Advisor Geoffrey Redmond, MD, FACE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dgc View Post
    My hairloss started when I was 39, stopped for 6 months in which much of it started growing back, and now has been going on for the past 6 months again. I have also had the burning/creepy crawly sensations on my scalp. My scalp is also very flaky. I have no obvious signs of peri-menopause.

My total testosterone is 36, Free testosterone is .6, and DHEA Serum is 149.

What is the best way to figure out if my problem is due to low estrogen, or testosterone sensitivity?
    What you describe are common symptoms with hair loss. Flaking and itching are usually due to seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp, a fancy medical term that means excessive oiliness. When this happens, bacteria grow in the oil and skin flakes, causing inflammation and discomfort. It is testosterone that causes the oil glands to go into overdrive and so oily skin and hair usually indicate testosterone sensitivity as a factor in the hair loss. Testosterone blockers usually help this considerably over a period of weeks.

Low estrogen is generally a factor in women who are not having periods, especially if very thin, or in perimenopause or menopause. Perimenopause usually begins in the mid-forties or after but can occur at a younger age. The signs of estrogen deficiency are not always obvious so hormonal evaluation is necessary to detect this.
    Geoffrey Redmond, MD
    The Hormone Help Center of New York http://www.hormonehelpny.com/
    Author, It's Your Hormones

It is not appropriate to make medical diagnoses or treatment recommendations over the internet. Replies to questions intended as general information and not as medical advice for any individual. An appropriate health care provider should be consulted for specific advice.

Default Help PLEASE

Dr .Redmond, {or anyone willing to help}I am so confused. My doctors won't check my estrogen progesterone as they say because I am 60 it will be low as expected. That includes my Gyn and endo too. My hair continues to fall out after 1.5 years. I do not put in a ponytail, never style or brush, yet those tiny front hairs fall out as soon as they come in. So do many of the new hairs all over my head that have come back in. I don't know if I need testoterone blockers or hormone replacement therapy. Have the burning itching scalp, but hardly ever any dandruff and almost never oily. My face is not oily. My dhea is exremely high=1200 but all test {have had them all except pituatary scan] show nothing or no reason why. My blood work for pituatary shows normal. Hairs coming in are so fine. I am so depressed as no one is helping or knows what to do. How do I know if Spirolactone is the solution, or HRT? Also, if spiro is started is it true I will have to continue for the rest of my life/ And should I worry about that dread shed I here about? PLEASE HELP.