+ Reply to Thread

Default Sudden Bald Spot!

Hey guys -- so just noticed about maybe a month ago that a small bald spot (about the size and shape of the first section of the top of your index finger) formed on the top upper left area of my head.

So just a little backstory/context...I've probably been thinning for the past 10 years. The thinning has been confined to mainly the FRONT of my hairline, however I've been able to manage/hide it with how I style my hair. I really started to notice it in my early 20s, like around 22 or 23 (as you can see I joined this forum about 3 years later, but haven't really remained too active on here since my balding never really accelerated that much or got any worse)...fast-forward to today I recently turned 33 and my "balding/thinning" has remained largely the same...maybe a little worse, but still not to the point where I feel I need an immediate transplant. I started using Rogaine/Minoxidil for around 4 years now, started right at the beginning of 2016. I'm not sure if it's been helping or slowing the rate of my thinning though...although I only apply it once daily instead of the twice recommended dosage.

Anyways, getting back to my main point. Last month in July the top of my head (where the small bald spot is) formed a small little bump, kinda like a pimple/cyst as a result of the Minoxidil. This happened from time to time in the past and I never thought anything of it because it would always just eventually go away on its own, however this particular one has stuck around for probably 2 months now. It's a small little lump and slightly tender to the touch. It doesn't cause any pain or discomfort, so because of that I ignore it and tell myself it will go away on its own eventually. EXCEPT I noticed last month that that bump no longer had ANY hair there. I was wondering why touching the bump felt so smooth and when I finally parted my hair and looked in the mirror I was SHOCKED! That spot where the bump is, is COMPLETELY BALD!

I've tried searching online for what this might possibly be and based on my research I think it MIGHT be a pilar cyst, however I can't be certain. The fact that the hair there is just gone is what has me confused and worried. Part of me is concerned if it might be something worse like a tumor or something cancerous? I dunno...

Anyways any of you fine folks have any idea what it might be? Is this the start of the BALDING of my crown area or is this just some freak thing that's happening that will hopefully eventually go away? Any insight you guys could provide would be appreciated!