+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Smile Question about stretching donor site

Hi Everyone,

I new to the site and have an FHT appt. with Dr. Pistone on Oct. 27th. I feel a bit anxious but I am definetly looking forward to this procedure.

I was told to stretch the scalp area from the back of my head to aroung my ears. The more flexable my scalp was in the donor region, the better = more available hairs for the procedure.

I noticed no one has memtioned this, or at least I have not seen it yet.

BTW, is there any before/after of guys with grey/salt pepper hair? could not seem to find to many.

thanks,

-Peter

What you have been told to perform are scalp excercises,do a search on here and you`ll find plenty of info on them.
    Also there are quite a few examples of salt and pepper hair characteristics in the doctors section.
    Hope that helps.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

In most cases a patient has plenty of laxity of the scalp to leave a minimal scar after the first procedure. Of course this also depends on the physicians technique and ability to minimize the tension necessary to close the wound. Unless a patient has an unusually tight scalp I only recommend scalp exercises when they are having an additional procedure.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Thansk for the replies!

Default caveat patiens

I hope that you are adequately prepared for the shock of your life when you get home and see the bloody scar that stretches from ear to ear. I was so horrified when I first saw it that I puked. I was told in exacting detail what to expect from the procedure. Somehow the subject of just how bad the scar would be was just brushed aside. Do a little more research before you pay thousands of dollars to have your head marred for life. Its too late for me.

Quote Originally Posted by peterm View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I new to the site and have an FHT appt. with Dr. Pistone on Oct. 27th. I feel a bit anxious but I am definetly looking forward to this procedure.

I was told to stretch the scalp area from the back of my head to aroung my ears. The more flexable my scalp was in the donor region, the better = more available hairs for the procedure.

I noticed no one has memtioned this, or at least I have not seen it yet.

BTW, is there any before/after of guys with grey/salt pepper hair? could not seem to find to many.

thanks,

-Peter

Jack,
    I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. It sounds like you regret the procedure? How about the inplants themselves?

I saw several before & after pics, and some weren't noticable at all. I feel I heal quickly and I'm taking like 8 days off, plus they told me not to get a haircut so it would be covered by the air I do have.

I appreciate your input, and I feel I'll be fine. I had shoulder sugery and this isn't as deep or as trumatic. I'm looking forward to it.

Regards,

-Peter

Default please take a look

please take a look this

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3451

Jack,
    I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. It sounds like you regret the procedure? How about the inplants themselves?

I saw several before & after pics, and some weren't noticable at all. I feel I heal quickly and I'm taking like 8 days off, plus they told me not to get a haircut so it would be covered by the air I do have.

I appreciate your input, and I feel I'll be fine. I had shoulder sugery and this isn't as deep or as trumatic. I'm looking forward to it.

Regards,

-Peter

Junior Member Gregory Pistone, MD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    In most cases a patient has plenty of laxity of the scalp to leave a minimal scar after the first procedure. Of course this also depends on the physicians technique and ability to minimize the tension necessary to close the wound. Unless a patient has an unusually tight scalp I only recommend scalp exercises when they are having an additional procedure.
    I agree that most patients do not need scalp exercises. However when a careful physical examination of the scalp reveals lower than average laxity, then scalp exercises are definitely in order to provide a maximum result for the patient and a minimal scar. These are the "small" things that make a difference between an average transplant and a great transplant.

greg pistone, md

Dr. Pistone,
    Thanks for your reply.

I'm planning to schedule my appt. for the FHT procedure sometime in Febuary, as my schedule permits. This is going to be a birthday present to me, I'll be 60!!

Ernesto said it would be good if I did the stretches so I'd have a bit more laxity.

I look forward to meeting with you.

Regards,

-Peter

Default warning

Listen to me PLEASE! I am begging you. Do not do this to yourself. I was 27 when I had the procedure done with excellent scalp elasticity. It doesn't matter how healthy a man you are. You are 60 years old. Your body ceased replacing collagen 25 years ago. You will have a long, very unsightly scar forever. And, a scar on the head is not like a scar elsewhere. I have had numerous operations on my shoulder, neck, and chest for injuries from the army. I have bad scars on my shoulder and chest, but they are not on my head. For whatever reason people see scars on the body and think or say "What a bad ass!". When they see a giant scar on the head they think or say "Damn! That is repulsive!" I am not trying to denigrate the physicians who perform these procedures. The doctor who performed mine did virtually everything he could to talk me out of it explaining to me that I would never get full coverage from an HT. If nothing else listen to what he told me "YOU WILL NEVER GET FULL COVERAGE FROM AN HT" BUT you will get a huge scar.

Jack,

Regards,

-Peter