X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterm
    • Sep 2010

Question about stretching donor site

Hi Everyone,

I new to the site and have an FHT appt. with Dr. Pistone on Oct. 27th. I feel a bit anxious but I am definetly looking forward to this procedure.

I was told to stretch the scalp area from the back of my head to aroung my ears. The more flexable my scalp was in the donor region, the better = more available hairs for the procedure.

I noticed no one has memtioned this, or at least I have not seen it yet.

BTW, is there any before/after of guys with grey/salt pepper hair? could not seem to find to many.

thanks,

-Peter
  • bigmac
    • Nov 2008

What you have been told to perform are scalp excercises,do a search on here and you`ll find plenty of info on them.
    Also there are quite a few examples of salt and pepper hair characteristics in the doctors section.
    Hope that helps.

Comment

• Dr. Glenn Charles
      IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
      • Nov 2008

In most cases a patient has plenty of laxity of the scalp to leave a minimal scar after the first procedure. Of course this also depends on the physicians technique and ability to minimize the tension necessary to close the wound. Unless a patient has an unusually tight scalp I only recommend scalp exercises when they are having an additional procedure.
      Dr. Glenn Charles
      Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
      View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

• peterm
        • Sep 2010

Thansk for the replies!

Comment

• Jack21
          • Sep 2010

caveat patiens

I hope that you are adequately prepared for the shock of your life when you get home and see the bloody scar that stretches from ear to ear. I was so horrified when I first saw it that I puked. I was told in exacting detail what to expect from the procedure. Somehow the subject of just how bad the scar would be was just brushed aside. Do a little more research before you pay thousands of dollars to have your head marred for life. Its too late for me.

Originally posted by peterm
          Hi Everyone,

I new to the site and have an FHT appt. with Dr. Pistone on Oct. 27th. I feel a bit anxious but I am definetly looking forward to this procedure.

I was told to stretch the scalp area from the back of my head to aroung my ears. The more flexable my scalp was in the donor region, the better = more available hairs for the procedure.

I noticed no one has memtioned this, or at least I have not seen it yet.

BTW, is there any before/after of guys with grey/salt pepper hair? could not seem to find to many.

thanks,

-Peter

Comment

• peterm
            • Sep 2010

Jack,
            I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. It sounds like you regret the procedure? How about the inplants themselves?

I saw several before & after pics, and some weren't noticable at all. I feel I heal quickly and I'm taking like 8 days off, plus they told me not to get a haircut so it would be covered by the air I do have.

I appreciate your input, and I feel I'll be fine. I had shoulder sugery and this isn't as deep or as trumatic. I'm looking forward to it.

Regards,

-Peter

Comment

• Jack21
              • Sep 2010

please take a look

please take a look this

I am a 33 year old male who began to thin in my mid 20's. I really didn't notice at the time (I was in the military and kept my hair very short). When my mother saw me for the first time in 4 years she was shocked at how thin my hair had become and immediately pulled out a bottle of toppik which she uses for her very thin hair.

Jack,
              I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. It sounds like you regret the procedure? How about the inplants themselves?

I saw several before & after pics, and some weren't noticable at all. I feel I heal quickly and I'm taking like 8 days off, plus they told me not to get a haircut so it would be covered by the air I do have.

I appreciate your input, and I feel I'll be fine. I had shoulder sugery and this isn't as deep or as trumatic. I'm looking forward to it.

Regards,

-Peter

Comment

• Gregory Pistone, MD
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Dr. Glenn Charles
                In most cases a patient has plenty of laxity of the scalp to leave a minimal scar after the first procedure. Of course this also depends on the physicians technique and ability to minimize the tension necessary to close the wound. Unless a patient has an unusually tight scalp I only recommend scalp exercises when they are having an additional procedure.
                I agree that most patients do not need scalp exercises. However when a careful physical examination of the scalp reveals lower than average laxity, then scalp exercises are definitely in order to provide a maximum result for the patient and a minimal scar. These are the "small" things that make a difference between an average transplant and a great transplant.

greg pistone, md

Comment

• peterm
                  • Sep 2010

Dr. Pistone,
                  Thanks for your reply.

I'm planning to schedule my appt. for the FHT procedure sometime in Febuary, as my schedule permits. This is going to be a birthday present to me, I'll be 60!!

Ernesto said it would be good if I did the stretches so I'd have a bit more laxity.

I look forward to meeting with you.

Regards,

-Peter

Comment

• Jack21
                    • Sep 2010

warning

Listen to me PLEASE! I am begging you. Do not do this to yourself. I was 27 when I had the procedure done with excellent scalp elasticity. It doesn't matter how healthy a man you are. You are 60 years old. Your body ceased replacing collagen 25 years ago. You will have a long, very unsightly scar forever. And, a scar on the head is not like a scar elsewhere. I have had numerous operations on my shoulder, neck, and chest for injuries from the army. I have bad scars on my shoulder and chest, but they are not on my head. For whatever reason people see scars on the body and think or say "What a bad ass!". When they see a giant scar on the head they think or say "Damn! That is repulsive!" I am not trying to denigrate the physicians who perform these procedures. The doctor who performed mine did virtually everything he could to talk me out of it explaining to me that I would never get full coverage from an HT. If nothing else listen to what he told me "YOU WILL NEVER GET FULL COVERAGE FROM AN HT" BUT you will get a huge scar.

Jack,

Regards,

-Peter

Comment

• Winston
                      • Mar 2009

There are so many people on these forums happy with their decision to have a hair transplant. I do think it’s good for people to know exactly what’s involved and all possible complications, but come on already Jack, just because you are miserable with your decision does not negate all of the happy people who have had the surgery.

Comment

• Jack21
                        • Sep 2010

error

I have deleted this message.
                        Last edited by Jack21; 11-18-2010, 10:44 AM. Reason: error

Comment

• Jack21
                          • Sep 2010

If I can save just one person I will keep coming back.

Originally posted by Winston
                          There are so many people on these forums happy with their decision to have a hair transplant. I do think it’s good for people to know exactly what’s involved and all possible complications, but come on already Jack, just because you are miserable with your decision does not negate all of the happy people who have had the surgery.

Comment

• Don'tDoIt
                            • Jul 2010

Winston, what you don't realize is that Jack is the tip of the iceberg. There are countless men out here who are unhappy with their hair transplants, even transplants done with so-called modern techniques. Guys are still getting wide strip scars. Guys are still getting unnatural hairlines and poor yield.

Jack is giving a voice to all these men. As you state, there are plenty of people on these forums who are happy with their transplants. It is good to have Jack here to give some balance. And I suppose I am in that category too, since I am not happy with my strip scar.

Comment

• Jack21
                              • Sep 2010

who is being hurt?

Who am I hurting? The surgeons who makes hundreds of thousands anyway? All I am doing is warning desperate young men to THINK very hard before taking a step that has the potential to ruin their lives. All I care about is these young men. If I thought that I were putting a dent in the HT industry and putting plastic surgeons out of work (what a joke!) I would stop. I am not out to ruin anyone or hurt anyone in any way, shape, or form.

Comment

Working...