+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thumbs down

There are so many people on these forums happy with their decision to have a hair transplant. I do think it’s good for people to know exactly what’s involved and all possible complications, but come on already Jack, just because you are miserable with your decision does not negate all of the happy people who have had the surgery.

Default error

I have deleted this message.
    Last edited by Jack21; 11-18-2010 at 09:44 AM. Reason: error

If I can save just one person I will keep coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    There are so many people on these forums happy with their decision to have a hair transplant. I do think it’s good for people to know exactly what’s involved and all possible complications, but come on already Jack, just because you are miserable with your decision does not negate all of the happy people who have had the surgery.

Winston, what you don't realize is that Jack is the tip of the iceberg. There are countless men out here who are unhappy with their hair transplants, even transplants done with so-called modern techniques. Guys are still getting wide strip scars. Guys are still getting unnatural hairlines and poor yield.

Jack is giving a voice to all these men. As you state, there are plenty of people on these forums who are happy with their transplants. It is good to have Jack here to give some balance. And I suppose I am in that category too, since I am not happy with my strip scar.

Default who is being hurt?

Who am I hurting? The surgeons who makes hundreds of thousands anyway? All I am doing is warning desperate young men to THINK very hard before taking a step that has the potential to ruin their lives. All I care about is these young men. If I thought that I were putting a dent in the HT industry and putting plastic surgeons out of work (what a joke!) I would stop. I am not out to ruin anyone or hurt anyone in any way, shape, or form.

Smile

I'd like to thank everyone for their feedback.

Jack, I'm sorry your transplant didn't work out, but you say the surgeon did attempt to talk you out of it. Hindsight IS 20-20, and there are many things I would have done differently, but that's not reality.

My hair is pretty thick around the donor area. It is thinning (ok, balding) on the top of my head. type 5, I think. I've looked at some of the successful transplants and I feel I will do very well. If my hair were really thin and sparse to begin with and in the advanced stages as some I've seen, I'd just get a crew cut & bag the whole idea.

I do hear what your saying. thnx! I understand.

Heck, I'm more worried about the tiny scabs not going away before I have to return to work.

Quote Originally Posted by peterm View Post

It is thinning (ok, balding) on the top of my head. type 5, I think. I've looked at some of the successful transplants and I feel I will do very well. If my hair were really thin and sparse to begin with and in the advanced stages as some I've seen, I'd just get a crew cut & bag the whole idea. I do hear what your saying. thnx! I understand..
    You might want to think about getting the crew cut first , see how uou look with it and how comfortbale you are with it

Then if you're OK with it forget about the HT

I wish I did! I'd take that money & buy some silver bullion. I think I look horrible, I have it kinda short now. It's about as short as it can be cut with just siscors.

That's why I'm going for the procedure.

Junior Member Gregory Pistone, MD's Avatar

Default Incorrect Science

Quote Originally Posted by Jack21 View Post
    Listen to me PLEASE! I am begging you. Do not do this to yourself. I was 27 when I had the procedure done with excellent scalp elasticity. It doesn't matter how healthy a man you are. You are 60 years old. Your body ceased replacing collagen 25 years ago. You will have a long, very unsightly scar forever. And, a scar on the head is not like a scar elsewhere. I have had numerous operations on my shoulder, neck, and chest for injuries from the army. I have bad scars on my shoulder and chest, but they are not on my head. For whatever reason people see scars on the body and think or say "What a bad ass!". When they see a giant scar on the head they think or say "Damn! That is repulsive!" I am not trying to denigrate the physicians who perform these procedures. The doctor who performed mine did virtually everything he could to talk me out of it explaining to me that I would never get full coverage from an HT. If nothing else listen to what he told me "YOU WILL NEVER GET FULL COVERAGE FROM AN HT" BUT you will get a huge scar.
    Jack21, I've read some of your quotes and many of the responses and I certainly "get it." You don't want anyone to have a bad experience like you did. I agree that any potential patients should certainly be informed about this procedure and make their own decisions whether or not to have it done, especially based on photos and direct observations of many of the particular surgeon's patients, not just 4 or 5.

As far as the collagen comment, your body does NOT cease replacing collagen at 60 or at any other age. Health is important and should be considered, at any age. A large number of my patients are in their 60s, some are in their 70s and I had a few in their 80s, all of whom healed quite nicely because they were properly evaluated prior to the procedure.

I'm sorry you are so bitter but I have seen some monstrous scars over the years and they mostly reflect the skill of the surgeon.

Take care,
    greg pistone, md

Quote Originally Posted by Don'tDoIt View Post
    Winston, what you don't realize is that Jack is the tip of the iceberg. There are countless men out here who are unhappy with their hair transplants, even transplants done with so-called modern techniques. Guys are still getting wide strip scars. Guys are still getting unnatural hairlines and poor yield.

Jack is giving a voice to all these men. As you state, there are plenty of people on these forums who are happy with their transplants. It is good to have Jack here to give some balance. And I suppose I am in that category too, since I am not happy with my strip scar.
    I realize that there are people who are unhappy with their hair transplants, I think that this what this forum is for, to educate people on how to make a good decision. I also agree that both sides of the story need to be heard, But the way you guys try to pursued everyone to believe that your experience is the norm is a bit over the top if you ask me. I think it’s good to want to help others, but your advice might not be helping those who would live a better life with more hair on their heads.