+ Reply to Thread

Default 2nd op with Dr Feller - 1,100 hairline bulk up

Hi guys,

Former regular poster at SHN - just been recommended this forum and would like to share my recent experiences.

I think those afflicted with VERY fine natural hair will be interested in this…

I’ve just returned from having a second strip session on my hairline with Dr Feller in New York, which was yet again a great experience and am very excited by what it will hopefully achieve.

As anyone who knows me (met me at any of the showcases Spex organised), my hair is about as naturally fine and straight as hair can possibly get. It’s been the bane of my life and I use LOADS of product to give it a ‘normal’ appearance (if you can call 2pints of hairspray being normal!). This procedure was 1,100 grafts ‘bulk up’ of an op I had 3 years ago, where Dr Feller transplanted 2,167 grafts into the hairline. I’ve kept this follow-up relatively quiet for simple reason that some people might misinterpret it as a result of my original HT not being successful, which is NOT the case at all!!!! far from it!

My first procedure grew out very nicely. Unfortunately, my hair proved too fine to get the desired results from a one-off op. Dr Feller admits that he normally wouldn’t operate on someone with hair as fine as mine, except I’ve been lucky to have (and kept) so much of it. I actually started receding when I was 18. I’ve just turned 32 now. Dr Feller and I discussed my individual characteristic at length originally and i was never in doubt I might require a "bulk"

Dr Feller has basically packed just behind the hairline with a load of doubles, and then put a load of singles along the front. He also fractionally lowered my problem left side by about 4mm, as this is where I’ve been having particular difficulty in achieving the illusion of coverage and obtaining a natural framing. Although it’s just immediately post-op, the recipient area seriously looks like a proper buzzcut on a full head of hair (redness aside!). I’m utterly thrilled to look at it. Basically, the place which was so fine before now looks packed to buggery.

The Doc says it’s as dense packed as he’s ever gone. The only possible slight downside was that he ran out of grafts to bulk up the little side bits, although he didn't think this was necessary anyway and hadn't initially planned to work on this area (it was only because I mentioned it that he said he'd see if he had anything left over!) There should now be more than enough density in the frontal hairline to compensate for this – fingers crossed!

I will keep you guys posted with pics so you can monitor the growth/progress. I’m very keen, excited and anxious to see how it grows out (with my hair being so fine, I refuse to get carried away just yet), but I currently can’t stop looking at it in the mirror. I’m praying for the day when I can just roll out of the bed and not worry about how long it will take me to style and whether I’ll get to work on time!

Many thanks for Spex and Dr Feller for all their help and expertise as always, a true mentor and friend. It’s been said millions of times before, but for anyone in the UK, I can’t recommend hooking up with Spex enough to gain from his experience and advice. The guy knows his onions and supported me throughout this journey! Here’s to the waiting game…

Oh, and pics soon!

S

PS To those SHLN peeps who may not recognise my username, I previously went under the name SteveyD.

Hey Steve,hope you`re doing good.
    Glad it all went well for you.
    Heal and grow well.
    bm.