+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Body Hair Transplant, how much can be transplanted?

while listening to the answer of Dr. Charles, he mentionned that excessive FUE transplantation can result in a "moth eaten" look in the back which makes sens. http://hairloss.iahrs.org/author/gcharles/

I m quite a hairy guy i.e. chest, stomach, shoulders, and thankfully only a bit on the back. can I transplant a considerable amount of hair from this area into my head? that'll save on the waxing!

thank you in advance.

I think with the exception of Dr. Umar who does a ton of repair work, a lot of doctors seem to be a little standoffish about using body hair. I have never had a transplant at all, but I read a lot because I'm thinking of getting one. I've read that it's fairly inconsistent with regard to yield and transection. Harvesting body hair is more difficult and requires special tools.

I wouldn't even consider using body hair for donor unless it's a last measure. It's too dicey and probably going to be vastly more expensive no matter who's doing the surgery.

With the "moth eaten" donor area look from FUE harvesting, I think it has a lot to do with the surgeon's technique, extraction pattern, diameter of the extraction punch, and the patient's physiology. I think that along with the number of grafts harvested are what influences how the donor area will look.

My understanding is that FUE is better used for smaller procedures and concealing scars. You don't get as much bang for your buck as you do with strip, and if you have an advanced stage of hairloss, FUE is not as cost effective and may have disappointing yields and donor area with littles white spots with no hair.

It all kinda depends on what you need I guess. I have medium wavy hair, so if a doctor told me that I need more than 2000 grafts strip is probably the way to go. Less than that, I could probably still do FUE.

Just my 2 cents.

My understanding is that FUE is better used for smaller procedures and concealing scars. You don't get as much bang for your buck as you do with strip, and if you have an advanced stage of hairloss, FUE is not as cost effective and may have disappointing yields and donor area with littles white spots with no hair.

why is that so?

check out this video regarding misconceptions about FUE

http://hairloss.iahrs.org/hair-trans...ons-about-fue/

perhaps, Bodyhair can be used on smaller areas on the head just to give extra coverage.

But even Dr. Cole says on his site that body hair yields are not reliable and should be used only as a last resort. If you're not donor-depleted, why spend the money on bht if it might not grow?

perhaps, but the video I posted related to the FUE vs Strip debate.

uselessgomez, you took the words right out of my mouth about body hair! Although we've seen some remarkable results, the yield is just unfortunately not very consistent and we therefore have to discourage individuals from using body hair as anything but a last result. I will say that, out of the different types of body hair, we’ve definitely seen some of the best yields with beard hair- so if you're intent on doing BHT, I'd suggest that route.

At our office, all BHT patients must first undergo a small test procedure prior to scheduling larger sessions. This is for the patient’s own best interest- to see what sort of yield and results they might achieve, and to determine whether they would be satisfied with a larger procedure. Never let a physician talk you into a larger procedure without a test because there are no guarantees and no physician can make body hair work for all cases. I'd also never advise using body hair on the hair line as body hair will almost always be courser and look unnatural there.

I will tell my experience with BHT. I was a NW V, i went for a FUE of 3100 grafts nine months ago and a small test of 25 grafts BHT. The outcome of the FUE was satisfactory till now with an acceptable rate of growth but unfortunnaly the BHT test result is completely null, no growth at all. The Body hairs were taken from the chest, i have a lot of body hairs and very strong but even like this it didnt work at all. Im wondering what it would have been the result if the hairs were taken from the beard, i have also noticed that in the exact points were the body hairs were extracted are new body hairs which makes me think that these were not extracted properly, i remember that the doctor took a long time to extract each body hair.
    Anyhow i consider that they were professional because the result of the FUE is good and because they also advised me that BHT rarely works and they made this test for me because i insisted and they didnt charge me for this. This limits may possibilities for further surgeries which i really need to solve the problem completely, i think i only have around 1500 grafts more from standard donnor area via FUE and probably i will ask for a test with BHT from beard. Im also considering those who claim being experts in BHT: some specialized doctors like Dr. Umar or Dr. Arwind, i have also seen a good case of Dr. Bisanga with BHT, probably they are better prepared to make this kind of hair transplant due to their larger experience in this field or probably they just sell smoke or probably depends more on each patience...
    I hope this may help and sorry for my english but its not my native language.
    Best regrowth to everyone.

I have a question regarding body hair transplant.

What if I got like 60,000 body hairs on my back and chest? Or even something like 30,000 ? They are all straight . They aint pubie curlie .

Cant I not get all 30,000 FUE body hairs dumped behind my new hairline to give me virtually the same amount of hair I had when I was 18? Thats a lot of hair.

How much would something like this cost ?

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drybone View Post
    I have a question regarding body hair transplant.

What if I got like 60,000 body hairs on my back and chest? Or even something like 30,000 ? They are all straight . They aint pubie curlie .

Cant I not get all 30,000 FUE body hairs dumped behind my new hairline to give me virtually the same amount of hair I had when I was 18? Thats a lot of hair.

How much would something like this cost ?
    Dr. Cole is seeing the best yield of non-scalp hair using first, beard hair and second, chest hair. It's always a good idea to do a test procedure of between 100 and 500 grafts because success with body hair varies quite a bit between patients.

In another thread on the Bald Truth Forum, a person posted on the futility of treating a Norwood 6 and 7. I met a patient of Dr. Cole's several years ago who posted in the forums as "Juiceman" who was determined not to be bald. He felt there was a possibility because of his family's hair loss trend that he could end up a Norwood 7. He just kept fighting back over the years and had several procedures. He had work done by Dr. Wong, Dr. Woods and Dr. Cole. All very fine work. I met him and examined the work at Dr. Cole's office and although he didn't have a teenage head of hair, he had an age appropriate head of hair that was reasonably dense and overall, he looked great.

That said regarding the higher Norwood range, not all patients can achieve what Juiceman did because of a wide range of factors.

I recommend you do a consult in order to arrive at a realistic expectation taking into consideration cost/donor supply.

I suggest you do a test area to evaluate coverage. This will help you establish reasonable expectations for a larger session.

- 35YrsAfter works at Dr. Cole's office

Quote Originally Posted by uselessgomez View Post
    But even Dr. Cole says on his site that body hair yields are not reliable and should be used only as a last resort. If you're not donor-depleted, why spend the money on bht if it might not grow?
    Good point!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin