+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Here's the deal. To date, there is still very little clinical evidence (documented and published) that BH is a reliable donor source. Not to say that anyone within this thread topic has implied such. Obviously with more research and trials, that may change in the future. But ask yourself how many FUE surgeons would guarantee the regrowth in this present day?

What clinical substantiation there is available, the BH taken from other regions of the head (beard), and then the chest have the best regrowth results IMHO. There are a few cases of using hair from the back and legs whereby some level of regrowth was noted. But even in some of those cases, once the hair shed, the next growth cycle was inconsistent at best. This includes hair taken from the arms/legs/under arms. The corresponding yields or lack of them are all a part of the ongoing research. And to my knowledge, only a handful of docs are seriously doing further research and trials concerning the differences of BH as compared to scalp growth cycles, textures, regrowth in scar tissue (repair), and the like.

And another point is that the regrowth texture and characteristics of BH can be quite different from the texture it had before it was harvested. In other words, moving BH from the back to the scalp does not mean that the regrowth characteristics will look the same and grow as long in length.

That is another critical concern that potential BH patients have. How long in length will the BH regrow? To date, the results across the board are anything but consistent.

And these are just some of the concerns and reasons that justify approaching BHTs as a last resort and to make test sessions beforehand mandatory.

I think the median price for BHT grafts are at about $14.00 US per BH graft. Some docs charge as high as $18.00 US per BH graft. You do the math.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Ok. That about sums it up thanks fellahs.

14 bucks per graft makes the decision easy. No way.

My theory was that I wanted to get rid of my back and chest hair so why not kill two birds with one stone and just plant it into my head for more density?

Perhaps one day a doctor will be able to put me out and take all 30,000 grafts and do the procedure with 80% success rate. I would pay $50,000 for that.

I think the doc can do two or three days work for 50 grand .

Until then, I will just use my scalp donor hair as needed. I really do think one day the body hair will be almost a cure for baldness for most men.

Default Bht

I'm with you on the use of body hair. Would love for it to work. I've been checking into it and had consults with a few HT docs and the the info I get is conflicting. One doc says he uses only chest hair because beard hair is too coarse. Another 2 docs say they won't use body or beard hair. 2 other docs said they would do a large session on me of 7,500-10,000 beard and body hair transplants on my NW 6 head and that would do it. Just had my 3rd ht about 3 weeks ago and the doc agreed to try some beard hair and took about 20 from near my sideburns as a test to see how it grows. Says the follicles came out well and were straight and looked good so we'll see. If it grows in ok we'll do more and maybe try some chest hair to see how that grows. Being cautious. I'll post more down the road when I get some results.

Drybone I have had both beard and chest hairs extracted. My growth has been excellent and as far as any visible scarring I have none. I have plenty of pictures posted on my “Follow My Major Repair” thread. Always best to start out with a very small session at first.

Default bht

Hey topcat. Was the chest hair removal painful? Which gave you better results, the beard or chest hair? Thanks.

Hi Lounk, the beard hair for me is better as the caliber is thicker. I would consider the procedure like a walk in the park for me on my last visit to Brussels. Basically I just remained still and quiet and kind of rested while it was being performed but I had only beard and scalp extractions. I must say for me the numbing shots to the chest area were quite an experience on previous procedures and I was actually glad to pass on it this time around. For me it’s seems to be a sensitive area but then again I'm a firm believer in no pain no gain…….lol……….so maybe again in the future.

What about the pain of the shots to the face. How bad was that? And how much beard hair do you think they can get out of you by the time your done?

The shots to the face were not a problem for me especially after that first one and the numbing begins. Not really sure how many beard hairs can be extracted. I have no problem removing them all but of course this can’t be done all at once and I have a limited beard area so only so much can be taken at one time.

Thanks for the info. It looks like I'll be going down that road.

Just go slow and evaluate it with your own eyes and mind and you should be fine.