Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ronanddon
    • Jul 2020

Is it too late to start propecia? I'm 35 years old

I've gone through hair loss in my early 20's I suffer from alopecia which runs in my genes. I had hair transplant in 2013 (28 years old) after the surgeon told me about propecia but I heard about the possible side effects which scared me and I decided not to use it. Fast forward too year 2020 (I'm 35 years old) and I want to give propecia a chance. I haven't noticed any greater hair loss since 2013. I plan too go to doctors office tomorrow too get propecia and I understand this is a drug I will have too take for the rest of my life. 7 years later I decided that I will use it.

Sorry if this is a vague question but do you think it's too late to use Propecia? I really want to restore my hair and grow it out like I use too. Any advice would he highly appreciated!

Pictures (https://app.unsee.cc/#dfe2807f)
  • Benwhite
    • Jul 2020

Worth a shot 🤷*♂️

Comment

• ronanddon
      • Jul 2020

Does anyone else have any advice if I should start on propecia or I shouldn't bother cause it's too late.Im not sure too be honest

Comment

• ScottSummers
        • Jul 2020

Propecia/finasteride is fine for most people.

But I recommend starting with topicals instead.

Topical finasteride seems to be more effective at reducing DHT in the scalp.
        "These findings show that DHT concentration in the scalp, after 7-day treatment course of P-3074 once daily, was more reduced (about 40%) than after 1 mg oral finasteride administration for the same treatment period."
        Source: https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/thread...al-Finasteride

But someone replies there: "RU and CB. Finasteride in any form is old news."
        RU is discussed more here: https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/thread...41-Usage-Guide

Comment

• ScottSummers
          • Jul 2020

(I'm currently researching topicals, and I'll post here when I decide.)

Comment

• ronanddon
            • Jul 2020

My pictures were deleted from the temp image host, so I reuploaded them

(I took these pictures two nights ago)

I really regret waiting this long, I was just afraid of the possible side effects. But
            now Im willing to take the risk. The surgeon took the grafts at the back of my
            head and transplanted them on the front of my head. I just wanted to mention
            that if that would make a difference.

Anyways if you guys think I still stand a chance too possibility regrow my hair
            then I will go to the doctors immediately and will get started on taking propecia
            (1mg) again I am aware that once I start taking it, I will have to take it for the
            rest of my life and "now" I am ok with that.

Comment

• ScottSummers
              • Jul 2020

Many of your follicles are maybe just in extended resting phase, which these will help.

I recommend using "the big 3," which have traditionally been viewed as the most proven.

-Finasteride (propecia)
              -Minoxodil (rogaine)
              -Nizoral shampoo.

Comment

• ScottSummers
                • Jul 2020

I also use R*vivogen (the * is an e), which has many ingredients that are positive for hair health. See their ingredients page on their site.

Before starting finasteride, pay attention to how your mood feels, and how your erections feel, so you'll know if you're one of the small portion of users who experience side effects.

I get my finasteride from costco, which is basically as cheap as online generics.

I recommend also posting on another forum, like the R*ddit hair loss forum, to get others' views as well.

Comment

• ronanddon
                  • Jul 2020

Originally posted by ScottSummers
                  Many of your follicles are maybe just in extended resting phase, which these will help.

I recommend using "the big 3," which have traditionally been viewed as the most proven.

-Finasteride (propecia)
                  -Minoxodil (rogaine)
                  -Nizoral shampoo.
                  My aplogizes excuse my ignorance what does Resting phase mean?

I have also posted on reddit but I didn't much of response. Only two users said it's too
                  late and it would be a waste of time going on propecia because they said I lost a lot
                  of hair and they don't think propecia would work.

I was heart broken when they said this (I do appreciate honesty) cause I really want
                  to grow my hair again. I will go to the doctors office on saturday and will get started
                  on propecia. I will also ask them if they have rogaine (foam)

Thank you I kinda feel hopeful, wish me luck!!

Comment

• ScottSummers
                    • Jul 2020

For all hair follicles, their natural life cycle is to fall out, and then the root is dormant for a period before growing a new follicle.

As hair loss advances, the roots spend longer in that dormant phase, so fewer follicles are active at any given time.
                    Last edited by ScottSummers; 07-16-2020, 12:00 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• ScottSummers
                      • Jul 2020

Instead of Rogaine, I recommend buying from Minoxidil Max, which also use other beneficial ingredients.

(Minoxodil is the active ingredient in Rogaine.)

Their site seems to take a genuine interest in the science, and they offer a free sample.

If hairloss ever advances too much, just get a hair piece. But I think these products in combination should have a transformative effect for your hair.

Comment

• ScottSummers
                        • Jul 2020

You can see Doke, a long-time user, talking about a product he likes from Minoxidil Max here:
                        Hi guys a company i have used for a long time is minoxidil max and they have a new product called maxogen x which is 7% minoxidil with ingredient Minoxidil.....................7.0% (70 mg*) Finasteride...............0.15% (1.5 mg*) Azelaic Acid.................1.5% (15mg*) ABN ComplexTM ........0.8% (8.0 mg*) Retinoic Acid

Comment

• ScottSummers
                          • Jul 2020

Before starting oral Finasteride, I'd actually try one of the products from Minoxidil Max that contains topical Finasteride.

I've decided to get a free sample of their topical Spiro (spironolactone) to meet my needs. (It works by a different mechanism from Finasteride and Minoxodil.)

I enjoyed reading their write up of alternatives to RU here: MinoxidilZMaxZcom/ru58841-hair-loss-side-effects (remove the 2 Zs at the beginning of the address).

You can see at that link photos of people with very advanced hair loss who regrew a lot, and that's only one product! Using multiple products can grow a lot of hair.

Comment

• ScottSummers
                            • Jul 2020

Topical Finasteride lowers DHT in the scalp more than oral Finasteride.

Topical lowers DHT in the scalp by 51%.
                            Oral lowers DHT in the scalp by 40%.

There doesn't seem to be any reason to start using oral Fin.

Comment

Working...