+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question 19 and receding hairline. I have a few questions.

Hey, I'm 19 and I've had a somewhat receding hairline over the past 3 years.

I used to be the guy that all the girls secretly were in love with, and I still am (mainly because I hide my hairline). All my girlfriends classmates and friends say that she has been lucky with me due to me being so attractive (Personally I think I'm somewhere around an 8) and having an awesome personality.

In my highschool years, the girls in my class and the rest of the school branded me as the most attractive guy in that class (I don't know about the rest of highschool, but I was most definatly in the top 5). Now, I feel as though I will never be that guy again.

Recently, I got "aware" over my hairloss problem (I've always noticed that I had high temples and I always covered them up. However, I never thought about HAIRLOSS due to such a young age) and I am now inspecting my hair EACH AND EVERY DAY and I can't get over it. I dropped out of college because I couldn't even go to campus because I became so self aware, and it also pushed me into a SEVERE depression (what the doctor and pshycologist said). I'm somewhat over the depression (because I try to convince myself every day that I will look DECENT with a short cut or something) but it sometimes kick in again and it feels like my life has/is ended/ending.

I have not visited a dermatologist yet. I do, however, have an appointment with one, but propecia is not a common practice for them to subscribe in my country (Norway)

Hairloss history in family:

My fathers side: NONE

Mothers side (in chronological order):

My grandfather`s father: My mother told me that he had high temples, but not anything else. I do not know when he got his hairloss since I've never met him.

My grandfather: He had a full head of hair until his 50s or 60s where it seems as though he become a norwood 4a (no crown balding, he still has lots of hair there)

My uncle on my mothers side lost his temples when was is around 30 years old and he is now 50 and doesnt seem like he lost more hair.

My brother is 25 and he has temple hairloss aswell but he did not start to lose it as early as me (he started around 19/20 or something).

Myself, I remember having high temples when I was around 16 or something. I was probably a norwood 2 or something a bit higher. Now I feel as though I am closer to a norwood 3 (with a persistant forelock) than I am a norwood 2 (this seems to be the hairloss pattern in our family ).

How likely is it that I will end up bald considering nobody has ever gone fully BALD in our family and all they have had is just had temple hairloss? The reason I am asking is because it frightens me since I lost my temples so much younger than the rest of my family. How likely is it that I will stop on a norwood 3 with a persistent forelock?

TL;DR:
    DOES BALDING PATTERN RUN IN THE FAMILY?

I also want to add in (incase it get lost within the massive wall of text) that nobody in my family has any balding on the crown area.

Please, please, please read my story. Going bald is a terrible thing especially when you have been good looking your entire youth, but ending up like Frankenstein's monster is 1000 times worse.

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3451

Quote Originally Posted by Ihatemyhair View Post
    Hey, I'm 19 and I've had a somewhat receding hairline over the past 3 years.

I used to be the guy that all the girls secretly were in love with, and I still am (mainly because I hide my hairline). All my girlfriends classmates and friends say that she has been lucky with me due to me being so attractive (Personally I think I'm somewhere around an 8) and having an awesome personality.

In my highschool years, the girls in my class and the rest of the school branded me as the most attractive guy in that class (I don't know about the rest of highschool, but I was most definatly in the top 5). Now, I feel as though I will never be that guy again.

Recently, I got "aware" over my hairloss problem (I've always noticed that I had high temples and I always covered them up. However, I never thought about HAIRLOSS due to such a young age) and I am now inspecting my hair EACH AND EVERY DAY and I can't get over it. I dropped out of college because I couldn't even go to campus because I became so self aware, and it also pushed me into a SEVERE depression (what the doctor and pshycologist said). I'm somewhat over the depression (because I try to convince myself every day that I will look DECENT with a short cut or something) but it sometimes kick in again and it feels like my life has/is ended/ending.

I have not visited a dermatologist yet. I do, however, have an appointment with one, but propecia is not a common practice for them to subscribe in my country (Norway)

Hairloss history in family:

My fathers side: NONE

Mothers side (in chronological order):

My grandfather`s father: My mother told me that he had high temples, but not anything else. I do not know when he got his hairloss since I've never met him.

My grandfather: He had a full head of hair until his 50s or 60s where it seems as though he become a norwood 4a (no crown balding, he still has lots of hair there)

My uncle on my mothers side lost his temples when was is around 30 years old and he is now 50 and doesnt seem like he lost more hair.

My brother is 25 and he has temple hairloss aswell but he did not start to lose it as early as me (he started around 19/20 or something).

Myself, I remember having high temples when I was around 16 or something. I was probably a norwood 2 or something a bit higher. Now I feel as though I am closer to a norwood 3 (with a persistant forelock) than I am a norwood 2 (this seems to be the hairloss pattern in our family ).

How likely is it that I will end up bald considering nobody has ever gone fully BALD in our family and all they have had is just had temple hairloss? The reason I am asking is because it frightens me since I lost my temples so much younger than the rest of my family. How likely is it that I will stop on a norwood 3 with a persistent forelock?

TL;DR:
    DOES BALDING PATTERN RUN IN THE FAMILY?

I also want to add in (incase it get lost within the massive wall of text) that nobody in my family has any balding on the crown area.

Ok, I've read around on the internet and some pages say they dont always follow the same patterns and some pages say that you should look on the male relatives with hairloss to somewhat get a accurate description of how your hairloss will be.

But me and my brother have the SAME pattern, we have only lost our temple hair! does that mean we will most likely end up like the rest of the males in our family with hairloss, or will we progress further?!

Should I start on propecia just in case that my hair suddenly decides to go all the way? Or should I just try to say **** IT and live with it (I'll probably be a pshycological mess if it goes all the way)?

Default desperation

Right now you are still very young. Propecia may slow your hair loss. You may well just be receding. My father has exactly the same recession now at 60 that he did at 21 (from the photographs I've seen of him). If you are in fact balding I beg you to stay away from a HT. You will never get the type of coverage that you want and you will end up with a long scar at the back of your head. You are young and desperate and anyone in your position will jump at any "solution" as I did. I have regretted making that decision more than any other I made in my life. Toppik fibers (sold under a zillion different names by different companies) really do work miracles while you still have enough hair to support them. If you look at the first photo on the link I posted you will see me with toppik in my very thin hair. It is a pain in the ass, though. It gets all over everything, but you learn how to be neat with it eventually. I ultimately lost too much hair - even after a HT - to be able to use it anymore. That should tell you something about just how little coverage you actually get. Two years after the HT I had less hair total than before I ever had the HT. I had 2,000 micrografts. So now I am stuck with a huge scar and hair on top that is so thin and scraggly and growing in 5 different directions. I have no choice but to shave my head scar and all.

Ok, I've read around on the internet and some pages say they dont always follow the same patterns and some pages say that you should look on the male relatives with hairloss to somewhat get a accurate description of how your hairloss will be.

But me and my brother have the SAME pattern, we have only lost our temple hair! does that mean we will most likely end up like the rest of the males in our family with hairloss, or will we progress further?!

Should I start on propecia just in case that my hair suddenly decides to go all the way? Or should I just try to say **** IT and live with it (I'll probably be a pshycological mess if it goes all the way)?

i know who you feel when i was 18 i would be able to get any girl, since receeding that gone down to hardly any, it hits your confidence.

If nobody in your family has aggressive hair loss that might indicate that you could be the same It is genetic you know!!!
    If you are worried about it find a doctor who can perform a Hairdx test which shows genetic predisposition to hair loss. You could also get a miniaturization
    study as well. Then if you need to, go on propecia and or minoxidil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack21 View Post
    Right now you are still very young. Propecia may slow your hair loss. You may well just be receding. My father has exactly the same recession now at 60 that he did at 21 (from the photographs I've seen of him). If you are in fact balding I beg you to stay away from a HT. You will never get the type of coverage that you want and you will end up with a long scar at the back of your head. You are young and desperate and anyone in your position will jump at any "solution" as I did. I have regretted making that decision more than any other I made in my life. Toppik fibers (sold under a zillion different names by different companies) really do work miracles while you still have enough hair to support them. If you look at the first photo on the link I posted you will see me with toppik in my very thin hair. It is a pain in the ass, though. It gets all over everything, but you learn how to be neat with it eventually. I ultimately lost too much hair - even after a HT - to be able to use it anymore. That should tell you something about just how little coverage you actually get. Two years after the HT I had less hair total than before I ever had the HT. I had 2,000 micrografts. So now I am stuck with a huge scar and hair on top that is so thin and scraggly and growing in 5 different directions. I have no choice but to shave my head scar and all.

from your thread I still think you look like a handsome man and you probably suit a bald head more than you think yourself, you're beating yourself up to much.

I used to think about getting a HT and start on propecia, but I think I will stay away from those options after reading everyones stories on this board. Propecia itself I have nothing against, but the loads of people saying to never get a HT as young as I am surely has some merrit to their sayings.

Today I went to get a haircut, surely I was dreading the time to cut my hair, but the hairdresser was really nice (and cute). She was a young 23-25ish woman who obviously knew what hairloss meant to some guys. She said that she's seen dousins of men with high temples come into her shop with their hair "cut wrong" from other hairdressers (not that I had it cut wrong).

Well, I wont drag out the story but she cut my sides short (my sidehair looks weird, it's like it's an afro and when I have no temple hair, it looks odd) and somewhat styled what was left on top. I WAS VERY PLEASED WITH THE RESULT!

Now I can finally walk outside without having gel in my hair and still look NORMAL for my age (but then again, what is normal...right?). Sure I looked better when I had somewhat long hair and covered it up (I was actually GORGEOUS according to some women) but it is so easier to manage now, and I don't have to fear the winds as much.

So for now, I'm just hoping that my hairloss will stop somewhere on it's current stage (and judging from my familys pattern history it will stop there...or atleast I hope so).

So to all the teens out there with a norwood 2,5 -> norwood 3 hairline, go to a real GOOD hairdresser. The hairdressers themselves advice on going to a YOUNG HAIRDRESSER since they will know what you want to look like, and they advice against going to a more seasoned and old hairdresser since they usually just cut the same cut no matter what. Getting a good haircut boosted my confidence ALOT.

Try and get a brush cut , see how you feel with it .
    If you are comfortable , keep cutting it short .
    Get used to

I have ths same type of hair loss as my father

My younger brother , 48, has a full head of brown hair but he has Crohn's

My older brother . 56, shaves it to a # 2. He has some hair loss on the crown

You may as well get used to it now while you are young .

Don't let you hair loss destroy your life .

If you don't let hair loss destroy your life, someone else will destroy it for you because of bald prejudice. At least when you destroy your own life, you're in control of the destruction.