+ Reply to Thread

Default New Theory Produced for Consideration of Others

Hey guys,

haven't posted in a while so I thought I'd write something short just to make myself feel a bit better.

Firstly, I'd like to share my new hypothesis as to why men and women lose their hair in such a typical/stereotypical "horseshoe" pattern. When I was lying down in my bed before going to sleep earlier this week I began noticing a tingling sensation on the back of my scalp and neck where my head met my pillow that felt comparable to the tingling sensation you'd feel after the application of minoxidil to the scalp after a shower. I instantly began thinking about an article I had read previously about the correlation between poor blood circulation to the top of the scalp during a sleeping period and hair loss. This kind of actually makes sense in a weird way, hear me out...

Is it possible, that because of poor blood circulation to the top of the head when in the sleeping position (flat), and the over stimulation of the sides and back of the head, that the nutrient rich blood essential for long healthy hair growth is simply being diverted away from the top (where we want it to go), allowing for hair loss to take place gradually, and skin and sebum particles to fill in the newly formed void in the tissue (where the follicle used to be) causing baldness over the long term?

The evidence gathered to support this theory is controversial, however there are several intuitive facts that could be used to support this theory.

1. One of the main mechanisms of Minoxidil - "Minoxidil is also a vasodilator[citation needed]. It is speculated that by widening blood vessels and opening potassium channels, it allows more oxygen, blood and nutrients to the follicle. This can also cause follicles in the telogen phase to shed, usually soon to be replaced by new, thicker hairs (in a new anagen phase)."

This very mechanism, if I'm not mistaken, is devoted to the increasing amount of nutrient enriched blood to the affected area where the minoxidil is applied.

2. This could potentially explain the products of the PRP phenomenon as well. Platelet Rich Plasma is already a naturally occurring component of the blood and the circulatory system. Some physicians and doctors believe that by isolating and stimulating the affected areas with PRP by first "stimulating the scalp" with a perforating rolling device, and then injecting the enriched hair growth complex, that new growth and density can be observed across the entire scalp and is not always area specific.

However, I think this whole process (PRP treatment), and it's compounding efficacy might even be more simply explained than previously imagined. Although I am not a doctor or a dermatologist, I don't believe that the positive results observed in PRP treatment are based solely on the composition of the injected complex, and that furthermore, it is the perforation of the skin that results in the observed hair regrowth and density return via healthy/proper nutrition of the follicle through the blood stream, even if only performed once.

3. Nanogen Scalproller studies - Where are they? There is a lot of profit involved in the sale of Finasteride and Minoxidil to the consumer because they are "relatively safe" products that potentially work for some and not for others, but more importantly they are 'a lifetime of financial commitment' to the pharmaceutical companies. Spencer says that 50% of the public are hair loss sufferers, which is ultimately a ton of profit when you think about it isn't it? Therefore why would these companies have an interest in selling you a device for $50.00 that could eradicate your hair loss issues completely? I don't think they would.

I'm ordering a 0.5mm Nanogen Scalproller online from the U.K and will begin testing it independently every odd day for four months, without the continuing use of Proscar or Minoxidil which have not seemed to function to a desirable effect over the course of the last year and a half. Will keep you guys posted on the results and plan on taking some before and after pictures as well.