+ Reply to Thread

Default Transplant in Europe - what actually sets the top world class surgeons apart?

Hi community,

So, I'm ready to make a decision on my HT surgeon.

My question to the masses, what really sets surgeons apart at the top tier? Is it much of a muchness?

I'm based in the United Kingdom, have consulted with the top surgeons there London and Portsmouth (£10k+) for my treatment. I'm also in the process of vetting Belgium Drs too..

I've spent days, weeks and months trawling through these forums.. And i'm still left with an overarching question. With the financials removed, when we're looking at these top surgeons - what should I be looking for that sets them apart? Or, at this level, are they very similar in results/standards/delivery?

Be useful to get your insights..

I am in much the same place, and at this time, am minded that that not much divides the top ones.

Default Transplant in Europe

Hi. I have had surgery in the UK and also in Belgium. The difference between the two surgeons was distinct and here's the story.

2015 I was a NW4-5 and Id been talking to Farjo for a number of years and decided to take the plunge. First op was 3500 FUT with which I was quite happy. Second op was 2200 FUT and again quite happy although my hairline was lopsided and Farjo leaves hairlines very high and very narrow as a trademark so I wanted it lowering. Cue 937 FUE to lower my hairline. The FUE I was told didn't need to be fully shaved as they could do it by shaving a section and operating from there. My hairline didn't come down much and was looking pluggy with gaps. Being dis-satisfied I decided to do some research and look away from Farjo and specifically look for FUE expertise and the IAHRS badge. The name I kept seeing who was praised for FUE and and whose work looked outstanding was Dr Bisanga in Brussels and so I booked a consultation with him. He advised my hairline could be much improved and recommended 800-1000 grafts. I booked in with him to get the work done.

Once I was shaved down the shortcomings of Farjo were laid bare. The hair was patchy and most telling of all where the FUE had been donored there is a band of scarring with what looks like an inscription running from ear to ear; the FUE was also performed just above the FUT scar which leaves not a lot of hair to cover it. Dr B told me that this was extremely poor work, with extremely poor technique and knowledge and possibly use of blunt tools. I was shocked by what they had done.
    Because of the patchiness of my hair we now settled on 1800 grafts which was double the previous surgery. Dr B told me what he would do, marked me accordingly and when he showed me his intention my hairline was bang on where I thought it should be.

The extraction and placement went very straightforwardly and I was delighted with what they showed me at the end of the day. Within ten days you would never have known I'd been touched by Dr B with the donor area totally covered and the recipient area clean. A really well done job. On the other hand one month later the work performed by Farjo is visible with bald patches and straggles of hair trying to cover the FUT scar and the FUE scarring still apparent due to the patchiness of their work. Farjo advises against going abroad because of work like this and yet performs it to that standard himself/herself.

Communication with Mick at Farjo is like shouting at a deaf person who has their back turned. He is sporadic and when I went back to them with the scarring issue he actually blamed me for it saying I scarred easily, I wouldn't have my head shaved so forced them into a narrow strip (not true) and anything else he could think of in order to dodge blame whilst all the while admitting liability without knowing it. My case with them continues.

Communication with BHR (Bisanga) is absolutely top notch. Stephen his patient advisor is back to you immediately and his knowledge is superb. A real pleasure to deal with.

In short I will say the difference between these two is probably that between a back street garage and an F1 mechanic and all in favour of Dr B for just about every facet of HT. I am disappointed I did not know about him at the start of my journey but also happy that I got him before I let Farjo do any more FUE damage. I'll also be going back to Dr B for him to rectify the Farjo damage.

I'm happy to supply pics or answer PM's if anyone is interested.