Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doke
    • Jun 2009

How might flutamide treat androgenetic alopecia

Flutamide is the generic name for the commercial brand name drugs Euflex and Eulexin by Schering. Flutamide comes as 250mg oral tablets.

Flutamide is a non-steroidal antiandrogen which inhibits androgen uptake. Flutamide also stops androgens from binding to receptors in the nuclei of cells. Flutamide is used to treat a variety of androgen influenced diseases such as prostate carcinomas, hirsutism, acne, and alopecia. As an antiandrogen oral flutamide has been used to treat female androgenetic alopecia, but only one or two published studies on its effectiveness are available. One study involved treating women with hirsutism, acne, or alopecia. The investigators reported an 80% success rate for women with acne of alopecia when treated with flutamide. They reported that Flutamide was significantly superior to Spironolactone for treating androgen dependant conditions in women. There are several studies on the use of flutamide to treat androgen dependent hirsutism in women and all suggest moderate to good success rates.

Another study looked at the efficacy of topically applied flutamide versus finasteride in human bladnig sclpa skin grafted onto mice. The researchers observed that flutamide was better than finasteride in terms of promoting hair growth. From this study it may be possible for men to use topical flutamide and avoid the systemic side effects that men develop when taking the drug orally.

How might flutamide treat androgenetic alopecia references

Luthy I, Caron S, Belanger A, Labrie F. Effects of flutamide, a pure antiandrogen, on endocrine parameters, in the adult female rat. Gynecol Endocrinol. 1987 Jun;1(2):151-68.
    Cusan L, Dupont A, Gomez JL, Tremblay RR, Labrie F. Comparison of flutamide and spironolactone in the treatment of hirsutism: a randomized controlled trial. Fertil Steril. 1994 Feb;61(2):281-7.
    Sintov A, Serafimovich S, Gilhar A. New topical antiandrogenic formulations can stimulate hair growth in human bald scalp grafted onto mice. Int J Pharm. 2000 Jan 20;194(1):125-34.
    Singh SM, Gauthier S, Labrie F. Androgen receptor antagonists (antiandrogens): structure-activity relationships. Curr Med Chem. 2000 Feb;7(2):211-47.
    Muderris II, Bayram F, Sahin Y, Kelestimur F, Tutus A, Ayata D. The efficacy of 250 mg/day flutamide in the treatment of patients with hirsutism. Fertil Steril. 1996 Aug;66(2):220-2.
    Marcondes JA, Minnani SL, Luthold WW, Wajchenberg BL, Samojlik E, Kirschner MA. Treatment of hirsutism in women with flutamide. Fertil Steril. 1992 Mar;57(3):543-7.

Comment

• doke
      • Jun 2009

There is as we know RU58841 but the only problem with that is none of us can tell if what we buy or even when made its stable there ae no guarantee's that's the most frustrating part as until topical cb-03-01 or Breezula come's onto the market we will see i am not sure if that will be as strong as flutamide but it will have to be safer before it is sold.
      There was a guy on the hairloss forums that tried oral flutamide and i think he did grow his hair back but the side affect's were not good he said he felt so weak he had to crawl along to get out of bed as it can damage the liver as well so take that as a warning.

Comment

• homestarrunner
        • Jun 2020

I've started dissolving about 8-10 mg of bica into either stemoxydine or minoxidil every day and applying it to the scalp. It's been about 10 days, but my scalp still itches.

Did you notice a reduction in scalp itch immediately?

Comment

• homestarrunner
          • Jun 2020

Any update? And how long did it take for the scalp itch to disappear? I tried topical bica for a little under 2 weeks but it seemed to increase my itch and even put me slightly below baseline (though that could also have been a coincidental shed from the minox I'm using).

Comment

• Wolfen
            • May 2020

I am posting this as an official end of this trial. Eventhough I have decreased doisis to a point of halting taking it because of ED problems. I have stoped now for 3 weeks and normal erectile function has been restore to normal.

I am happy to answer any questions.

Comment

• Wolfen
              • May 2020

Itching for me has been caused by minox liquid solution. I could eliminate it by washing my hair with Traditional Head and Shoulders everyday.

Comment

• homestarrunner
                • Jun 2020

Originally posted by Wolfen
                I am posting this as an official end of this trial. Eventhough I have decreased doisis to a point of halting taking it because of ED problems. I have stoped now for 3 weeks and normal erectile function has been restore to normal.

I am happy to answer any questions.
                How has your hair been since stopping the bica? What will you do now? I thought you said that neither fin nor dut was working anymore, which is basically my situation.

And you were never below baseline while you were on bica, right?

Comment

• Wolfen
                  • May 2020

Yeah, none of it works but ED is something I am not willing to experience in order to stop hair loss. I will continue to tak 1.25 mg of fin and 2 ml of minox a day.

Comment

• Unknown00
                    • Jun 2020

As I mentioned before here, Bicalutamide is very strong and it has such a good half-life, so it can go and build up systemic, easily. That's why I said that maybe cycling the drug with even a lower dose, for example, a dose of 1mg per 2ml, apply 4 days/week, 3 days/week, 2/week days stop 1 week and repeat, it would be beneficial without the risk of side effects. Again, this may be not the case as well, because as I said Bica is a very strong drug, it is just a speculation for a different approach of the drug topically. Thank you for trying this experiment Wolfen, stay safe and keep up the fight!

Comment

• Wolfen
                      • May 2020

I do not know if the dosage would be enough to make a difference on hair loss. I might give it a try after a couple of months under the same advice. I will post about it

Comment

• homestarrunner
                        • Jun 2020

I do not know if the dosage would be enough to make a difference on hair loss. I might give it a try after a couple of months under the same advice. I will post about it
                        Where did you get your bica, by the way? How did you crush the pills fine enough to dissolve in a vehicle? And did you ever have trouble dissolving in minox (I.e. getting a cloudy solution instead of a clear one)?

Comment

• Wolfen
                          • May 2020

I got it in the pharmacy. WHere I live I do not need a perscription for bica. No problem crushing them nor dissolving it you will get a slightly cloudy mix

Comment

• AndrewBarnes
                            • Dec 2020

Yeah, none of it works but ED is something I am not willing to experience in order to stop hair loss. I will continue to tak 1.25 mg of fin and 2 ml of minox a day.
                            Did you try taking an AI while on bica? Your ED might've been a result of high estrogen levels since bica is known to raise them.

Comment

Working...