+ Reply to Thread

Default Need to know how People are Dealing With IT? Advice Spencer?

It's time I need to write a post again to hear how others with the same issue are dealing with my type of hair loss. I have diffuse thinning and I have to comb my hair to the side to make it the least noticeable. I would like to hear from SPencer. Don't you use topik or makeup to make your hair look better? How do you deal with very windy days or if you want to go swimming?? Can people please share on this? I had different doctors from IARHS say they would reccomend different amounts of grafts for hairtransplant. I am talking from a range of 0 to 2,500. Also i can notice a good difference from 2 months ago. Can stress cause this and can it grow back??
    But I really would like to hear people share about what they do regarding wind and rain? I mean sometimes it literally takes hours in the morning to fix and then wind or rain screws everything the hell up!! How do guys with hairpieces or wigs deal with it? Any ideas Spencer?

Smile Maybe a little help

Hi,

With regard to hairloss and trying to cover it up, I tried many futile things. When I was 17 and working as a dishwasher at a local restaurant, there were coworkers who began to make fun of my receeding hairline around the temple area. I was desperate at the time and beyond embarrassed. I would cut hair from the side of my head and use maple syrup to attach it to my frontal hairline. I know it sounds absurd but I was 17; what the hell else was I supposed to do. I actually got pretty good at it. The syrup actually got the hair to stick to my other hair on windy days. Later on when I was 21, and being around a Norwood 6, I began wearing a hairpiece. The hairpiece was tricky because the company I went to would fasten it to my head with a glue. Unfortunately, the glue would loosen after about 2-3 weeks and there were times the wind would blow hard and my piece would blow up vertically and expose my head. Now, this never happend with anyone around, but I had some close calls. I would immediately switch directions and walk with the wind. Perhaps, the best option until you can remedy your hairloss situation, is to go to an antique military expo and buy yourself a World War I army helmet; it really doesn't matter whether it's a German, American, English or French helmet. Preferably, get one with a chin strap. If the police ask you why your wearing it, tell them, "I'm involved in some serious trench hair warfare." Wear the sucker on windy and/or rainy days. Not to sound flippant but that's about all that would work on those days.

Goodluck,

Weedwacker

There are no easy answers and since I am totally bald and a Norwood 6, I can't remember when I actually had hair. I'm sure there were more tricks up my sleeve for rainy/windy days, but I cannot remember them. Maybe someone will be able to provide you with better advice.

Thanks how old are you if u dont mind me asking?

I am 33 years old now. I began doming when I was 17 and was Norwood 6 by 21. I think you have better options than the ones I had. My hair fell out so fast I didn't have time to do anything about it. The only things available at the time, in my opinion, were inferior methods of hair replacement. To be honest, I would probably wear a hairpiece if I was 22 again because the quality has improved a lot. I almost got a transplant(tranny) but my Father, being a contract attorney, advised against it because of the stupid contract. At the age of 33 I have come to accept being bald now. I DO NOT like it, but I accept it. If you have a better option, such as meds, hairpiece or surgery then that is good. I remember the trauma of being so young and balding(What a ----ing nightmare.) I have a young looking face for my age which doesn't help things. Having gone through full MPB I would recommend doing what you feel comfortable with. Don't care what others think(not even your family). Only you know what will make you happy. In my early 20's the piece was a good option for me; not so much now. Anyway, good luck with your choices and I hope you find solace within yourself during this baldness ordeal. I've been there. I dropped out of high school because of it. It was brutal being so young. I am here, as a guy who went bald as young and as rapidly as is possible, to try to offer some hope and encouragement to younger fellas who are going through what I did. For me, the best thing was just to wait out the storm. Now that the baldness storm has come, I crop my hair short and just deal with it; however, I could not do that when I was 18.

Good luck, man

Couldn't reach you tonight Spencer...I left you a couple messages.

1)How do people who spend hours in the am deal with windy, rainy days? How do they go swimming?

2)I have been shedding a lot? Can stress cause tons of shedding and can it regrow back later?
    3)I have different docs from IAHRS telling me i need different amounts of grafts(between 600 and 2200). Will 600 in the front make a difference?

ps..I wish there was hairloss anonymous meetings

Default New Hypothesis

Hey guys,

haven't posted in a while so I thought I'd write something short just to make myself feel a bit better.

Firstly, I'd like to share my new hypothesis as to why men and women lose their hair in such a typical/stereotypical "horseshoe" pattern. When I was lying down in my bed before going to sleep earlier this week I began noticing a tingling sensation on the back of my scalp and neck where my head met my pillow that felt comparable to the tingling sensation you'd feel after the application of minoxidil to the scalp after a shower. I instantly began thinking about an article I had read previously about the correlation between poor blood circulation to the top of the scalp and hair loss. This kind of actually makes sense in a weird way, hear me out...

Is it possible, that because of poor blood circulation to the top of the head when in the sleeping position (flat), and the over stimulation of the sides and back of the head, that the nutrient rich blood essential for long healthy hair growth is simply being diverted away from the top (where we want it to go), allowing for hair loss to take place gradually, and skin and sebum particles to fill in the newly formed void in the tissue (where the follicle used to be) causing baldness over the long term?

The evidence gathered to support this theory is controversial, however there are several intuitive facts that could be used to support this theory.

1. One of the main mechanisms of Minoxidil - "Minoxidil is also a vasodilator[citation needed]. It is speculated that by widening blood vessels and opening potassium channels, it allows more oxygen, blood and nutrients to the follicle. This can also cause follicles in the telogen phase to shed, usually soon to be replaced by new, thicker hairs (in a new anagen phase)."

This very mechanism, if I'm not mistaken, is devoted to the increasing amount of nutrient enriched blood to the affected area where the minoxidil is applied.

2. This could potentially explain the products of the PRP phenomenon as well. Platelet Rich Plasma is already a naturally occurring component of the blood and the circulatory system. Some physicians and doctors believe that by isolating and stimulating the affected areas with PRP by first "stimulating the scalp" with a perforating rolling device, and then injecting the enriched hair growth complex, that new growth and density can be observed across the entire scalp and is not always area specific.

However, I think this whole process (PRP treatment), and it's compounding efficacy might even be more simply explained than previously imagined. Although I am not a doctor or a dermatologist, I don't believe that the positive results observed in PRP treatment are based solely on the composition of the injected complex, and that furthermore, it is the perforation of the skin that results in the observed hair regrowth and density return via healthy/proper nutrition of the follicle through the blood stream, even if only performed once.

3. Nanogen Scalproller studies - Where are they? There is a lot of profit involved in the sale of Finasteride and Minoxidil to the consumer because they are "relatively safe" products that potentially work for some and not for others, but more importantly they are 'a lifetime of financial commitment' to the pharmaceutical companies. Spencer says that 50% of the public are hair loss sufferers, which is ultimately a ton of profit when you think about it isn't it? Therefore why would these companies have an interest in selling you a device for $50.00 that could eradicate your hair loss issues completely? I don't think they would.

I'm ordering a 0.5mm Nanogen Scalproller online from the U.K and will begin testing it independently every odd day for four months, without the continuing use of Proscar or Minoxidil which have not seemed to function to a desirable effect over the course of the last year and a half. Will keep you guys posted on the results and plan on taking some before and after pictures as well.