+ Reply to Thread

Question Finasteride and high testosterone levels

Hello fellow norwood bros.
    I'm a long time lurker on these forums. Probably 8 years or so.
    My hair loss has been thankfully rather slow. I'm a steady NW3 atm I would say.
    Basically I've come to the point where I've given up on the "natural remedy" route and actually want to tackle my issue for real. I picked up my first pack of fin 1mg from the pharmacy earlier today.
    Before I start the treatment I had one final concern I wanted to check with you guys.
    In late august last year I went and did some blood work. Solid results except on one point, testosterone. It was high. By European standards: pretty much roid-level. By American, absolute maximum.
    32 nmol/L or roughly 922 ng/dL.
    My concern is as I start to surpress the 5AR-ii enzyme that will result in the testo going even higher from not converting into DHT. As a result to that the body might start to overproduce estrogen to counter that elevation.
    I'm not an MD of any kind so that's why I wanted to discuss this concern with you guys before I jump on the fin.
    Maybe there's someone in the same boat as me that had/has a successful run.

As of family history none other than my father has suffered from hair loss. He started receding in his early 60's. Grandparents, uncle etc. has had, or has a full head of hair their whole life. As do my brother.
    I have been diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis from three different dermatologists. This is most definitely linked to the hair loss. Hopefully this itch goes away as I start the treatment.

PS. Sorry if me dropping my testo-levels came of as a flex. Really not my intention at all. And no, I'm not on any juice.

Best regards and thanks in advance

The only related info I could find was this thread: https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/thread...sterone-Levels
    However, Doctor Bhatti debunks the statement that finasteride would lower DHT levels. Not addressing the case in which elevated levels of testosterone could be a problem.
    Any feedback would be much appreciated.
    PS. I have messaged Dr. Bhatti and will fill you in on his answer.

Bump 🤷*♂️

Some followup to this. Dr. Bhatti has assured me that a man of my body type (lean) should not have to worry.
    The chances of "puffy breasts" are remote.

Hope this brings some relief to anyone out there.
    Take care and best of luck!

Hello Norwoodbrother, Seems like you're doing something right. High T and keeping your hair loss at bay for 8 years. What natural remedies have you been doing? just interested

Hello VIP! Sorry for a brutally slow reply.
    Of my own anecdotal experience I can only say that what seems to help is total absence from sex, masturbation and orgasms. Sexual pleasure overall seems to worsen my condition at least.
    For sure, this might sound rather extreme. You want your hair to pull some but when you do you lose some. The irony.
    So yeah, high T-levels, plus sex, equals hair loss in my case. Of what it seems at least.
    Been hooking up some in the last couple of months. Sex up to 4-5 times a day and for sure this has had some impact.
    In contrast, I have gone completely without sexual pleasure (except some wet dreams) for over 9 months in one streak.

I'm highly susceptible to sides from basically whatever. If i've read somewhere that a glass of water could give me sides, then for sure I will get 'em. For this reason I have not started the fin treatment. Don't know if I will ever be able to. With time I hope that I can overcome this anxiety and at least give it a try for a year or so.

Other treatments that I've started in the last year is ketoconazole shampoo 2%. Been very inconsistent with this so can't really give any good feedback. Been using it sometimes a couple of weeks straight when the itch has been a b*tch to being down on it once a week. Then getting of it for a couple of weeks, or months before I start with it again.

I use Dr.Bronners peppermint shampoo for whatever it's worth. Been on it rather consistently for the last 6 months. Been using some other variants of their shampoo before this, like the 18-in-one standard (?) and the castor oil-version. Been using them for the last 2 years maybe.

TL;DR: High T + sex + predisposed to hair loss = bad
    Solution?
    Well, getting on fin or anything else that will lower the conversion of T to DHT would be wise if you can take it. If it lowers your libido, I'll just guess that's a wanted, and expected, effect. If that's a noticeable effect or not, I have no idea. Most likely very individual. But fearing the side effect of lower libido, let's say 5-10 % lower, shouldn't be of great concern, I think. Of course I'm trying to convince myself of this as well.
    I think we should rather start looking at is an "effect" rather than a "side effect". Cutting your DHT in half surely will have some effects on your body and mind but if these changes are very remote and resulting in you keeping your hair an extra 30 years then yeah. Might be worth it.

PS. Rather tired so apologies for any typos and tangents.

Good luck!

As of family history none other than my father has suffered from hair loss. He started receding in his early 60's. Grandparents, uncle etc. has had, or has a full head of hair their whole life. As do my brother.
    I have been diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis from three different dermatologists. This is most definitely linked to the hair loss. Hopefully this itch goes away as I start the treatment.
    Same here, my father's hair was always thick and started receding when he was about 55, he also barely had any gray hair... But I spotted my first grays when I was 19 (!) and I lost so much hair in my 20's... It's just not fair :/ I got seborrheic dermatitis too... what a lucky combo.

I have recently begun to lose my hair, and I am terribly upset about it. I didn't know what to do about it, so I went to get tested. My testosterone was also high, which made me sad, so I decided not to take medication but to fight it with the help of my wife. I took a pill just to be sure, and now I bug my wife every day I hope it helps since my wife doesn't know where to go anymore.