+ Reply to Thread

Question 23M Looking for advice

Preface: Growing up I never paid any attention to my hair, the same haircut my entire life, don't actually know what my hairline looked like as a child/early teen. However, my sister and I seem to have a similar hairline design (widows peak at the front with an M-like shape). Therefore, I am presuming that it is roughly what my hairline looked like.

I've had relatively the same hairline since I was 17, I first became aware of it in 2014. It hasn't changed in nearly 6 years.

Eventually, in August 2015, I ordered minoxidil and used it irregularly for 2-3. I saw some results as there were little hairs growing on the temples. However, I ended up just discontinuing the treatment.

Fast foward to November 2016, I went to my primary healthcare provider and was prescribed finasteride 1 MG. Again, I lazily used it for 2-3 months. I didn't notice any difference of course, and I discontinued as I did the minoxidil. It was a hassle getting prescriptions.

Not sure, but I am kind of glad that I discontinued because my hair hasn't changed in this span of time.

Still, I lived in constant paranoia that the hair loss would progress. However, I learned of services like Hims/Keeps and decided to bite the bullet and be proactive in treatment. I'm getting close to graduating with a BSN and will be entering the workforce soon, and I'd rather limit any unnecessary anxiety.

I've been on finasteride 1 MG for 3 months (85 days), I haven't missed a single dose. I wake up and take it, it has become part of my routine in the morning.

I have seen some "results" with the finasteride, hairs growing along my hairline etc. which keeps me motivated in continuing treatment.

The main point of this thread is to hopefully gain some insight into hair transplantation. I am in NO RUSH to undergo hair transplantation. My thoughts, if everything works out well and I respond accordingly to the medication, is to hopefully maintain my preexisting hair with finasteride for a few years (3-5 years) then to have a hair transplant to fill in the temples.

As I stated, I have had the same haircut my entire life (bangs) so I have never been styled my hair up etc - which is something I'd like to be able to do.

April 2016: https://imgur.com/BjkrRN0?r

April 2020: https://imgur.com/a/pe4OwH5

May 2020 Album: https://imgur.com/a/9z8LBNj

1.) My main question is, what degree of hair loss is this categorized? NW3?

2.) How many grafts would be suffice for filling in the temples? I know that there is a huge degree of difference in people's hair texture etc. I have naturally fine hair, so I'm assuming I would need a higher number of grafts compared to someone with thicker hair.

Thank you for your time! I really appreciate any feedback.

Dang, 550 views and no responses. :/