+ Reply to Thread

Default Scar revision/correction

So, I'm only a month out from my HT, however I'd like to plan for scar treatment now. What do you think the best options are? Scar grafting? Waiting for some of the emerging technologies to mature?

From what I've seen, the best solution is scar grafting. This way the scar, and distorted growth angles surrounding the scar, can be concealed at the same time. It's important to understand that scar tissue may not grow hair as well as virgin scalp area so it may require more than one pass to achieve a desired level of coverage. However, I would wait until you are 3 to 6 months out, preferably 6 months out, before you proceed with such a procedure.

Are you planning to cut your hair short or already unhappy with the way it's healing? I'm just curious why you're already planning for some sort of scar repair work...

Quote Originally Posted by CIT_Girl View Post
    From what I've seen, the best solution is scar grafting. This way the scar, and distorted growth angles surrounding the scar, can be concealed at the same time. It's important to understand that scar tissue may not grow hair as well as virgin scalp area so it may require more than one pass to achieve a desired level of coverage. However, I would wait until you are 3 to 6 months out, preferably 6 months out, before you proceed with such a procedure.

Are you planning to cut your hair short or already unhappy with the way it's healing? I'm just curious why you're already planning for some sort of scar repair work...
    I typically keep my hair about 3/8 inches long, and would like to continue doing so. Right now I don't think I could pull that off. Granted I'm only 1 month out so there is no telling what the scar is going to do, and right now I can see a gap where there is no hair in the scar tissue... I'm fine with doing several sessions over a few years. What is the typical cost of a scar revision with CIT?

The cost would depend on where you take the donor hair from- scalp hair is always most advisable when available as it has the most consistent yield- as well as the number of grafts required to provide adequate coverage. To get a good idea of how many grafts it might require, you'd be best off submitting a couple photos of the scar for Dr. Cole to review and give you a recommendation on (you can do this via the "Virtual Consult" on our website, or by emailing them directly to a patient coordinator at frontdesk{at}forhair{dot}com). The number needed can vary quite widely depending on the length and width of the scar.

However, I'd definitely suggest you give it a bit more time- you might be pleasantly surprised and wind up with a reasonably undetectable scar (fingers crossed)!

Default Update?

I'm curious about what you ended up doing, now that you're about 8 months out. Does your scar look better? Did you do FUE into the scar? .... I'm curious because even though I'm only at 3 weeks postop, I'm also already pretty certain that I will eventually want/need FUE into this gaping strip.