+ Reply to Thread

Default Dr Bhatti explains away Finasteride Phobia and Testosterone Levels

Dear all,

Its always a hot topic, Finasteride use and whether pre and post op hair transplant patients should take it.

In the following video Dr Bhatti uses his expertise to explain away the phobias associated with Finasteride use and explains in detail the relationship with Testosterone levels.

Again, a must see for so many of you out there.

Kindest Regards

Shera
    UK Patient Advisor for Dr Tejinder Bhatti
    Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India
    Tel +44 7708 018667 (call / text / whatsapp)
    Tel 0800 634 8588 (UK Toll free number)
    Email UK@darlingbuds.com
    My Amazing Hair Transplant Story
    I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice

Thank you for a useful and clear explanation

I've been taking Finasteride for 12 years and although I think it has helped me retain most of my hair, I do still have worries that it may be causing side effects or damage to my body - I'm particularly concerned that as you eplained, Finasteride increases Estragon/Estadiol levels, and this can lead to things like Gynecomastia

Is Gynecomastia a common side effect with taking Finasteride?

I think there is a misconception regarding the androgen receptor. From my understanding any androgen (DHT or Testosterone) can activate the receptor in the hair follicle. Hence removing DHT doesn’t cure balding as the video suggests. It definitely helps however as DHT has a 7 times higher binding affinity than testosterone so removing DHT definitely helps. DHT is also seen as “garbage” hormone and testosterone should be able to activate the receptors that DHT was binding too. If this is not the case then side effects will become prevalent and the requirement of a blood test is vital as the user doesn’t have enough androgenic activity. This can be seen in users with high DHT and low testosterone.

I agree that videos like this help with the anxiety of taking finasteride are required. I just think more information needs to be transparent about how this pill helps treat the issue but doesn’t cure baldness. For the majority of people finasteride should halt balding for at least a year (see the follow up study of finasteride where 99% of patients saw no recession after a year of taking, then 90% after 5 years). There are many other treatments people can take after such as dutasteride or even RU (which I’m not suggesting to use but is definitely an option for people with highly sensitive receptors)

I’ve been a long time lurker (first post) and I hope people can start looking at the endocrinology of hairloss and realise these treatments are synonymous of activities like brushing your teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Shera View Post
    Dear all,

Its always a hot topic, Finasteride use and whether pre and post op hair transplant patients should take it.

In the following video Dr Bhatti uses his expertise to explain away the phobias associated twc mail with Finasteride use and explains in detail the relationship with Testosterone levels.

Again, a must see for so many of you out there.

Kindest Regards

Shera
    UK Patient Advisor for Dr Tejinder Bhatti
    Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India
    Tel +44 7708 018667 (call / text / whatsapp)
    Tel 0800 634 8588 (UK Toll free number)
    Email UK@darlingbuds.com
    My Amazing Hair Transplant Story
    I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice
    Thanks for the share shera. I've been following Dr.Bhatti for the last couple of months. Actually, I'm planning to have hair surgery next month.

So the outtake from this is that the sexual sides are a nocebo and the drug shouldn’t be prescribed to people that are not head strong?

I had to quit fin after 2 years because of heightened anxiety and weak erections - the latter is still a problem a year on. I definitely fall under the criteria of not being mentally robust and being quite obsessive.

Is there a glimmer of hope for me that if I can change my mentality towards the drug I could shed the sides and live happily ever after? Or are certain personality types doomed?