+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Another Guy with Same Issues - Need Advice and Encouragement

Done putting it off! Got my first 30-day prescription filled today. Details are here.
    Hello people,

I've been cruising these forums for years. I am 27 years old and I've been slowly losing my hair around my temples and my crown area since I was about 22.

My temple hair loss has been progressing, but slower than the hair loss on the crown/top of the head. The past 1 1/2 years (approximately) have been particularly 'bad' and I am at the point now (for the first time) that people are actually openly noticing my hair loss. The weird thing is, although the loss around my temples is definitely noticeable (especially because of the fact that 7 years ago I was in a car accident and hurt my scalp badly which caused me to end up with a ~2.5inch scar in circumference...yeah it's a big bald patch an inch behind my hairline but you cant see it in this picture) but it isn't bothering me nearly as much as the crown thinning.

I spoke to my doctor briefly about two months ago about Propecia and he mentioned that he has several patients who are successfully using this treatment. However, we didn't end up proceeding with the prescription because my appointment that day was regarding something unrelated and I was in a rush. Now I need to go back there and do the doings...

If anyone is from the Detroit area, and you can recommend a local doctor that has experience with treating/prescribing hair loss meds, please let me know.

I've spent countless hours research the Internet with regards to Propecia, as well as most other treatments. Within my group of friends, I'm the 'hair loss expert'. As you may have guessed, I wish I didn't have to be one.

Now, I'm not a bitter guy and hair loss won't halt my life in any way, but my hair is very important to me, as many of you will agree.

I am attaching a photo that I just took of my crown area. When I saw it on my DSLR camera, I was, once again, shocked.

So, my plan is to go back to my doctor, do some blood work and liver tests and hopefully get prescribed with Propecia. My fear is that I will have shedding issues and that I'll be one of those few people whose situation got worse with Propecia. I don't want to be a skeptic, I will give it a try...I just need to get back to the Doctor's office.

I feel like every day that I wait, my hair gets worse.

Any comments, suggestions, and good advice appreciated.

Thank you!

Full Res - Warning: May hurt your eyes

Although I certainly don't think your loss looks significant based on your photo, I think that sounds like a good plan of action. It's best to be proactive and get on Propecia while you are young and early on in the stages of hair loss- this is when it has proven to be most effective.

CIT_Girl, thank you for the kind words. I do realize that my hair loss is still not "advanced", but it has advanced over the past year or two, and that's a scary fact

I wish I would have done something about it 1-2 years ago, instead of now (Visit to the Doctor and Propecia prescription still pending, though.)

I will also try the Nizoral shampoo twice a week for my dry and itchy scalp (always had it, and usually gets worse in the fall and winter months).

Over the next day or two, I will try taking some more pictures of my entire hair situation (front, sides, back).

I certainly don't mean to minimize the distress your hair loss has caused you because, clearly, any amount can feel like way too much to the one dealing with it! Don't stress about not doing something sooner- you're doing what you need to do now and will hopefully see some success (at least in preventing further hair loss) by beginning a well-researched regime. Incorporating Nizoral shampoo is also a good idea. Although it works well as an anti-fungal and to treat dandruff, it also has androgen blocking properties which can help stop further hair loss. Dr. Cole usually advises patients to leave it on for 5 minutes to allow it to really penetrate the scalp and do its job.

It's always a good idea to post more photos and hopefully some other posters will jump in with their own first-hand advise/experiences. Good luck!

Update (more for myself, but also for any other guy who's looking to start on Propecia)

1. Propecia - Just got back from the Doctor's office. Got my first month's prescription filled ($76!!!) and my doctor wants to see me back in his office in one month. They also took my blood today and will probably do it again at the one month mark. Next step: Research how to save a few bucks by filling a prescription for more than one month at a time.

2. Nizoral - Today was my first day with Nizoral shampoo. I will initially use it on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays (from what I've read, most people use it in this fashion, although the bottle says to use it 'every 3-4 days').

Any suggestions and comments are more than welcome! I am looking forward to this, and I'm hoping for the best. After a couple of years of putting this off (luckily, my hair loss is not too fast/aggressive), it was finally time to take charge and try to save what I have on my head for a little while.

Thank you!

Three week update: No side effects, no shedding yet. Have been taking Propecia 1mg daily, before going to bed at night.

Still looking for less expensive alternatives to Propecia - FROM RELIABLE PHARMACIES/BRANDS! Thank you!

Week 6 update:

Propecia - 1 pill daily before going to sleep. Missed 2 nights over the 6 week period.

Nizoral - Monday, Wednesday, Friday - seems to have helped with the itch, and definitely has helped with dandruff - and greatly so. Normally, at this time of the year, my skin gets drier and my dandruff worsens, but that't not the case right now. My scalp feels better already.

Side effects: NONE.

Random observation: Got a haircut a few days ago and cut and styled my hair as always. Not sure if it's just the 'placebo confidence', but I feel like my hair is healthier on top/crown area. Either way, I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ćelo View Post
    Three week update: No side effects, no shedding yet. Have been taking Propecia 1mg daily, before going to bed at night.

Still looking for less expensive alternatives to Propecia - FROM RELIABLE PHARMACIES/BRANDS! Thank you!
    http://www.pharmstore.com/

its one of many online canadian pharmacies. The generic finasteride (propecia) they sell on there comes from an indian pharamaceutical company...I think its called Cipla. They sell them for dirt cheap (90 pills for $35) I talked to my dermatologist (a self-proclaimed hair-loss expert) about what he thought about getting drugs off the internet and he said that if I could get it from an indian company, its probably fine. Also, that website requires you to give them a script.

I've been using the generic stuff for 6-7 months now and haven't had any side effects, and my hair has definitely stopped falling out...so I don't think they're just sugar pills haha

Smile

I think you're making the right moves.

You have some thinning in the crown but it appears to me that you're a perfect candidate for Propecia.

With any luck you'll be able to thicken that area up in about a year or so.

Just remember that if you do experience a shed, its not the end of the world-- it means the meds are working.

The important thing is that you don't panic and stop treatment-- push on through and you'll see the benefits.

For the short term, you might look in to a cover product-- Pro Thik is a good product. A quick blast in the morning followed by a combing will completely take care of that small thin area on your crown.

It's not a perm. solution of course, but might ease your anxiety while you wait for mother nature to take over.

Hal

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, guys!

It's been a while since I visited this site (and obviously since I gave an update on my progress), so here it goes..

I am almost at the end of month 5 of my Propecia (and Nizoral) regimen. In these five months, I have probably missed only 5 daily dosages, otherwise, I take it religiously every night before bed. I never had any noticeable side effects.

What I can tell: My hair is not shedding as much as it did before the Propecia. Also, I never had the "initial shed" that a lot of people are referring to when they start taking Finasteride. I do think that my hair looks healthier and a little better than before, and my scalps seems to be less itchy and feels better (because of Nizoral).

What I cannot tell: If Propecia is actually working at this time. I am definitely planning on continuing and if my hair stays the way it is, I will be a happy camper. Some days I feel like I'm not seeing any progress, but then in retrospect, I am not seeing that it's getting worse. Since I'm just about to hit my 6 month mark, it is still early to tell whether there are any tangible results.

I will keep you posted!