Threaded View

Default Another Guy with Same Issues - Need Advice and Encouragement

Done putting it off! Got my first 30-day prescription filled today. Details are here.
    Hello people,

I've been cruising these forums for years. I am 27 years old and I've been slowly losing my hair around my temples and my crown area since I was about 22.

My temple hair loss has been progressing, but slower than the hair loss on the crown/top of the head. The past 1 1/2 years (approximately) have been particularly 'bad' and I am at the point now (for the first time) that people are actually openly noticing my hair loss. The weird thing is, although the loss around my temples is definitely noticeable (especially because of the fact that 7 years ago I was in a car accident and hurt my scalp badly which caused me to end up with a ~2.5inch scar in circumference...yeah it's a big bald patch an inch behind my hairline but you cant see it in this picture) but it isn't bothering me nearly as much as the crown thinning.

I spoke to my doctor briefly about two months ago about Propecia and he mentioned that he has several patients who are successfully using this treatment. However, we didn't end up proceeding with the prescription because my appointment that day was regarding something unrelated and I was in a rush. Now I need to go back there and do the doings...

If anyone is from the Detroit area, and you can recommend a local doctor that has experience with treating/prescribing hair loss meds, please let me know.

I've spent countless hours research the Internet with regards to Propecia, as well as most other treatments. Within my group of friends, I'm the 'hair loss expert'. As you may have guessed, I wish I didn't have to be one.

Now, I'm not a bitter guy and hair loss won't halt my life in any way, but my hair is very important to me, as many of you will agree.

I am attaching a photo that I just took of my crown area. When I saw it on my DSLR camera, I was, once again, shocked.

So, my plan is to go back to my doctor, do some blood work and liver tests and hopefully get prescribed with Propecia. My fear is that I will have shedding issues and that I'll be one of those few people whose situation got worse with Propecia. I don't want to be a skeptic, I will give it a try...I just need to get back to the Doctor's office.

I feel like every day that I wait, my hair gets worse.

Any comments, suggestions, and good advice appreciated.

Thank you!

Full Res - Warning: May hurt your eyes