+ Reply to Thread

Default Is there any other reason why my temples would be thinning, besides genetics?

To make this simple:

My dad (almost 60), my older brother (32), my uncle (over 50), my two stepbrothers (over 30), seem to have no hairloss, except me (23M)...

A 23 year old male (I’d say Norwood 1.5) with one slightly receeded temple. I always had longer hair, and I always used to style it to the direction of my receeded temple. Nobody could ever notice that I have some sort of hairloss. Recently I started noticing that my other temple is starting to thin also. And this is not okay for me, because I won’t be able to hide my hairloss..

My question is - is there really any point to see a dermatologist? Will he really be able to tell me if I have any underlying issues? What tests can a dermatologist do? Won’t he just see my thin temple hair and just say it’s MPB and call it a day?

My friend (I’d say around Norwood 2.5 - 3) who is 35 years old, went to see a dermatologist in one of the best hospitals in the city. He did came back happy, but once he told me everything about it, I understood that he basically paid 100€ for nothing. He told that she did a vitamin test - to find out which vitamins he’s missing (ummm, really? this guy is 35 with around NW 2.5 - 3. Oh yeah, I’m sure some vitamin B will help him out). She then injected some syringes into his scalp to increase the blood flow (I read about them and I don't believe too much in them) and she prescribed him Minoxidil. She didn’t even mention him the most important thing that Min is a thing that you need to use everyday, and all the gains dissapear after you stop using it. Basically she told him everything that I already know, and why the **** would I even pay her money? Look, I know dermatologists aren’t all the same, but will another dermatologist make any difference? I’m just trying to be a realist here.

Is there any chance that my hairloss began way sooner than everyone else’s in my family because of my lifestyle? I’m not gonna lie, I do love to party, to smoke, to drink, eat junk food, i even did some MDMA way before when I was into raving. I really used to have a lot of depressive episodes. There were times when I used to have a shit ton of stress. When I was like 20 years, I used to bleach my hair, dye it and so on. What I’m saying is - my lifestyle wasn’t always that healthy. I read that hair loss from stress does come back (my thin hair hasn’t become any thicker in the past year). I read that bleached hair shouldn’t cause permanent hair loss either. But on the other hand, I have friends who eat shit, party like hell, have stress and so on - and they have a perfect hairline. I’m very naive about believing that things like lifestyle can start hairloss. I believe genetics is stronger than every other factor.

P.S I’m very sorry about my English and about the long post. English isn’t my first language, and I really just felt like venting out.. This is my first post ever, regarding my hairloss.