+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Jack, can I ask where you had your hair transplant done? Even if the doctor takes a big strip the scar still can be very thin.

As I understand it, scar size is more related to individual scalp laxity and scar tendencies

My scar is virtually identical to the one in the last picture you posted. It is not as fresh or bloody ,obviously, because 5 years have passed, but in size, shape, length and thickness it is virtually identical. You must understand that b/c of my experience I am very, very reluctant about having anyone take anything sharp to my head or any part of me for that matter. I have also had to have numerous shoulder surgeries since I was discharged which have left my shoulder,arm, and part of my neck covered in surgical scars and arthroscope puncture holes.

I understand that it might be tough to reveal yourself without the piece, but it would help us help you if you could show us how you look. Both the scar and the front/top of your head. It sounds like you might be in Norwood 6 territory (are you familiar with the Norwood scale?) with at least some hair on top, including some unnatural-looking transplanted hair. Guys like this get fixed. See forum and transplant vet Jotronic.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Default pics

I'm so sorry to hear about what you have had to suffer through. I have to tell you that from looking at your pics (I am a woman) you are certainly VERY handsome. Hair loss sucks, there is no getting around it, but I wonder if you realize how nice looking you are+you're buff too! I would hate for the hair issue to make you feel socially isolated when you seem to have so much going for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    I understand that it might be tough to reveal yourself without the piece, but it would help us help you if you could show us how you look. Both the scar and the front/top of your head. It sounds like you might be in Norwood 6 territory (are you familiar with the Norwood scale?) with at least some hair on top, including some unnatural-looking transplanted hair. Guys like this get fixed. See forum and transplant vet Jotronic.

No, no. I am not reluctant at all about posting pics of my scalp. I just have never taken a photograph of the scar. I do have photos of myself with a shaved head from last October on my other computer. I can post those tomorrow. I am not very familiar with the Norwood Scale, but I can tell you that my scalp is in fact completely covered in stubble with the exception of a small area around the crown. It is not that there is no hair. It is that the hair is so diffuse when longer than stubble. When I shave my head to stubble it looks as if I could easily grow out a full head of hair, but that is NOT the case.

Quote Originally Posted by cep View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear about what you have had to suffer through. I have to tell you that from looking at your pics (I am a woman) you are certainly VERY handsome. Hair loss sucks, there is no getting around it, but I wonder if you realize how nice looking you are+you're buff too! I would hate for the hair issue to make you feel socially isolated when you seem to have so much going for you.
    Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately the hair issue has made me terribly socially isolated. I am not so good looking with a bald head. Believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by chasguy View Post
    Check out http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/album.php?albumid=240

His scar repair looks great. Do you have any pictures of your scar?
    If I could get those results I would be very happy, but I seem to remember saying exactly the same thing to myself before my HT 5 years ago. I have seen a number of men over the years with shaved heads or v. closely cropped hair whose surgical scars from HTs were very obvious. I've seen men like this at the gym, at football games, at the grocery store. They were obviously at peace with their appearance. I mean they could all have been wearing baseball caps but weren't. I need to make peace with my apperance and try and salvage some sort of life. Mine is a cautionary tale. I have let obsession with my hair ruin the last 5 or 6 years of my life. I wish that I had never heard of any of these "solutions" whether surgery, concealers, or toupees. I wish that I had just kept my head shaved when I got out of the army. My best friend starting balding in college, shaved his head right then and there and has never looked back. He is the most self confident person I know and lives a happy life while I hide in my apartment b/c I am so ashamed of my appearance.

Jack,
    Thanks for sharing your story. I amletting my hair obssession get the best of me like your saying. Now I was told by a surgeon in person consultation that he will do 600 grafts but that doesnt seem like much due to my diffuse and frontal thinning. I have never had surgery before. I am too freaked out to shave my head due to the thinning area being very noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    Jack, can I ask where you had your hair transplant done? Even if the doctor takes a big strip the scar still can be very thin.
    I do not want to name the surgeon for the following reasons:

He did virtually everything he could to talk me out of the procedure. Only after he was positive that I understood what to reasonably expect did he perform it. He made me wait months, discussed alternatives such as my just cropping all my hair short, and essentially tried to make me go away. I convinced him that I fully understood that the procedure would not provide me with a full head of hair and that I understood that my own naturally growing hair would continue to thin. Finally about 6 months after I first saw him did he perform the procedure. He could have done nothing more other than refusing to perform the procedure. This is called an "elective procedure" for a reason, however. I elected to have it done and I had covinced the doctor that my expectations were realistic. The fault is mine. I was young, desperate, and although I convinced both the doctor and myself that my expectations for the procedure were realistic, they were not.