+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Junior Member Gregory Pistone, MD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don'tDoIt View Post
    CIT girl, I am surprised that you would use the before/after images for that patient who obviously has longer hair in the "after" photo. The longer hair makes it impossible to tell if Dr. Cole's work really had an impact. Why did you choose this case?

If Dr. Cole is truly doing one of these types of cases per week, why are there not more results on your website showing that these scars are being improved? I am not saying that Dr. Cole is not getting good results with this technique but rather I am saying that the documentation is lacking.

It seems that Jack21 would benefit from FUE into his scar but I would first like to see some more FUE-into-scar success stories.
    The problem I find with adding grafts to a wide scar, whether using FUE or FUT, is that the visibility of the scar is predominantly due to the "whiteness" of it, especially if you have darker hair. A surgeon cannot pack the grafts as close together in scar tissue and therefore multiple sessions are usually needed to achieve even moderate density and even this may not completely hide the white of the scar. If possible, removing the scar is always the best solution. Another possibility is medical tattooing of the scar with numerous tiny hair follicles drawn in. This often provides dramatic results and is a low cost, effective, non-surgical method of concealment.

Hope this helps.

greg pistone, md

Default thanks doc

I'm seriously considering having the scar tattooed. I think it is my best option.

Default Thanks Jack21!!

Quote Originally Posted by MADE View Post
    i think you've just got what you wanted.

i registered for this board just to reply to this thread.

first off, i empathize with what you've gone through. i'm sorry that this battle has been such a crippling experience for you. i started slowly losing my hair at the age of 23. my father unexpectedly passed away when i was 19 and life has never been the same since. stress level post his death has increased and has remained a constant. that in turn (i believe) is some what relative to my shedding as well as being predisposed due to genetics.

being someone in there midish-twenties (27) suffering from hair loss (like you said) is not an easy thing to swallow. my current/personal situation isn't horrible, but definitely noticeable. i'm not naive and realize i'll only be losing more of it from here on out. as of late, i've been researching "cures and coverups" as i've equated losing my hair with losing my self-confidence. i think alot of it has to do with losing vitality as well as a visual indicator of my fleeting youth. the more i think about it and read these threads/responses, i'm reassured that these are my own personal thoughts -thats it. anyone else's opinion is just that.

however, i must say that what you and others have discussed in this thread have resonated with me in a way that has literally changed my view on a HT, topical/oral treatments, etc.

i've always thought if people don't like you for you, what more can you do? would you honestly want to surround yourself around someone who places such importance on vanity anyway? beauty is common; everyone has it.

what i've personally come to realize is that flaws are what make us attractive. it shows you're a true human being; vulnerable like every one else. as i'm self-conscious and have my own personal issues like most, i think its liberating to accept this (anything) as what it is. i know i'll never have the hair i had when i was 16.

your story and journey have saved me from getting a HT. next summer i'm taking the plunge and shaving it (or buzzing with a 1 guide). i think it will be a liberating experience. despite what you've gone through, there is so much good in your life. you're a father, you're young and a handsome guy. being a former soldier, i can only imagine what you were capable of then as well as what you're capable of now. embrace who you are. confidence goes a long way, and lately, i've come to realize that more than ever. for the people who judge you or joke at your expense are only doing it to cover up there own insecurities. pay them no mind (as best as you can). thank you for your story and thank you to all of the others who've shared there stories/knowledge too. its really helped in my own personal hair struggles. i honestly feel a little bit freer... best of luck to you all.

MADE.
    Dear MADE and Jack,

Like you MADE, I also just joined this forum to reply to Jack's thread. I am about to get a call from the Hospital to confirm my payment and date of operation next month.

I am 35 years old and not married. A girl that I like so much turned me down because I have no hair!! Forget about the fact that I am a lecturer at a University and earning well. I dont drink. smoke, party. I describe myself as the 'boy next door' BUT can you believe that women these days are more concerned about how much hair you have on top than what great characterisitics you have?

Coming to you Jack, first THANK YOU!! Your experience has made me think twice about this treatment. I want to give some time on this.

You are lucky Jack, things could got worst with the treatment. You are married and have started a family. And I agree with the others, you are a good looking chap, this is itself a blessing that we should apperciate. For you to go through this, and sharing us this experience says that what ever happens, happened for the best!! Imagine how many people you have saved from this treatment. While, you saved me!

Thank you Jack for sharing. And not being funny, i am extending my hands of friendship, if you are interested, this is my email : researchonfans@hotmail.com, I am a lecturer in UK.

best wishes

Jack I think like most of us you're blowing this way out of proportion. You look fine with a shaved head. I see dudes like you with shaved heads walking down the street all the time. So I don't understand either why you don't think you are attractive or why you have received these comments from women.

I think there's more to this story than you're letting on, perhaps that you yourself don't even notice because you're so caught up in your insecurity. There has to be another reason why you would receive such comments, as it's certainly not due to how you look. Perhaps it is due to women picking up your insecurity. My bet is that you subcommunicate this insecurity so strongly that it's distracting.

Perhaps it's due to the scar. If that's the case then look into options of reducing it or just get a tattoo over it. You were in the army, people will understand if you have a military tat on the back of your head.

I really think though that the problem lies IN your head, and not ON it. I think you should see a therapist about this.

You look completely normal with your head shaved, if not attractive. You're letting your insecurity dominate your life, and that's not healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kurniawan View Post
    Dear MADE and Jack,

I am 35 years old and not married. A girl that I like so much turned me down because I have no hair!! Forget about the fact that I am a lecturer at a University and earning well. I dont drink. smoke, party. I describe myself as the 'boy next door' BUT can you believe that women these days are more concerned about how much hair you have on top than what great characterisitics you have?

best wishes
    I just wanted to mention you dodged a bullit!

Any girl that didn't want to marry you because of your hair or lack there of..

Your better off without her..

You lucky SOB!!!!

Life is always a question of perspective..

Either the glass is half full or half empty..

Only each individual can decide what their perspective on life is going to be..

I always say a day above ground....no matter what goes on is a good day!

I suggest a toast to the glass being half full!

JB

This message has been removed by the author

Quote Originally Posted by Username1234 View Post
    Jack I think like most of us you're blowing this way out of proportion. You look fine with a shaved head. I see dudes like you with shaved heads walking down the street all the time. So I don't understand either why you don't think you are attractive or why you have received these comments from women.

I think there's more to this story than you're letting on, perhaps that you yourself don't even notice because you're so caught up in your insecurity. There has to be another reason why you would receive such comments, as it's certainly not due to how you look. Perhaps it is due to women picking up your insecurity. My bet is that you subcommunicate this insecurity so strongly that it's distracting.

Perhaps it's due to the scar. If that's the case then look into options of reducing it or just get a tattoo over it. You were in the army, people will understand if you have a military tat on the back of your head.

I really think though that the problem lies IN your head, and not ON it. I think you should see a therapist about this.

You look completely normal with your head shaved, if not attractive. You're letting your insecurity dominate your life, and that's not healthy.
    Last edited by Jack21; 12-14-2010 at 10:27 AM. Reason: wrong quote

Default thanks JB

Thank JB.

You are right.
    take care.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB. View Post
    I just wanted to mention you dodged a bullit!

Any girl that didn't want to marry you because of your hair or lack there of..

Your better off without her..

You lucky SOB!!!!

Life is always a question of perspective..

Either the glass is half full or half empty..

Only each individual can decide what their perspective on life is going to be..

I always say a day above ground....no matter what goes on is a good day!

I suggest a toast to the glass being half full!

JB

I really think though that the problem lies IN your head, and not ON it.

I think that you are quite right. Getting used to having a shaved head takes time. I don't think that balding is easy on anyone, but it is certainly blown out of all proportion by people like me.

Wow i am more confused than ever, some people on this site say their scar is un-noticeable but everyone who has replied to this particular question is anti-ht. I am 33 yrs old have been balding since 25-26 i am missing at least 3 to four inches of my hairline. I wear a hat everywhere i go. I have missed out on so much of life to the point i seriously would pay anything to look somewhat normal again. Never wanted to go the hairpiece route and was seriously thinking about a ht either strip or fue. After reading your response and others i have no idea of what to do. I do have questions hopefully u or others can answer: 1. How come most of the surgeons or doctors on this site say the scars of today are virtually invisible or very very small as they constitute big long scars to earlier trasplants and their procedures. 2. Is anyone ever satisfied with the results from their ht and was it a fue or strip procedure? 3. What after the ht do u as the patient have to do to receive the best results and what are the absolute no-no's. Also is their a surgeon or dr. who has great results in illinois or should i consider going elsewhere. Or as jack and others state live with it, but i truly truly hate living my life under a hat.

Default if you're conflicted DONT DO IT!

You're hiding under a ball cap, I spent years hiding under concealers or a hat. I have never seen a ht that looked reasonable. Even the photographs that drs post as "sucess stories" look bad to me. If you have very thick hair in the donor area obviously the scar will be hidden at a shorter length. I had to grow my hair past a # 5 guard for it to not be visible. At that length my hair was already wavy and with the thin transplanted hair on top and with a balding crown it looked horrendous. I looked like a balding guy trying to cover up his balding. The doctor told me NOT to expect anything close to full coverage. He told me not to expect to look like I had 5 years before. I deluded myself into believing that I would be the exception - after all my balding wasn't that bad, just diffuse thinning. As I've written it was OK for the first couple of years because I just put toppik and couvre in it. Then it reached the point where my hair on top was simply to thin to support the toppik and the couvre just looked like I was painting my scalp - which in essence I was. I've made some bad decisions in my life but only one that I regret every single day of my life. I shave my head. I don't mind the shaved head look at all. What I do mind is the giant scar which runs from ear to ear. Balding is not enjoyable, but there are things in life that we cannot change. Balding is not something you have a choice in as those commercials would have you believe. Ultimately you will end up either sporting a scraggly, balding head of hair that cannot be neatened by being cut short b/c of scars or you can be proactive and shave your head (or cut it very short) before you have a giant scar across the back of your scalp. I used to wear a hair piece as I've mentioned in other threads. I used to "talk" to other guys who bought from the same place. 90% of them wore toupees because of the scars and poor results of hair transplants. Don't do it yourself. There is great online support available for guys who are having a tough time transitioning to having a shaved head. I represent nobody but myself. I am not trying to sell you a product. I come here day in and day out because I don't want one more young guy to have to go through the misery that I did.

Quote Originally Posted by hair leaving View Post
    Wow i am more confused than ever, some people on this site say their scar is un-noticeable but everyone who has replied to this particular question is anti-ht. I am 33 yrs old have been balding since 25-26 i am missing at least 3 to four inches of my hairline. I wear a hat everywhere i go. I have missed out on so much of life to the point i seriously would pay anything to look somewhat normal again. Never wanted to go the hairpiece route and was seriously thinking about a ht either strip or fue. After reading your response and others i have no idea of what to do. I do have questions hopefully u or others can answer: 1. How come most of the surgeons or doctors on this site say the scars of today are virtually invisible or very very small as they constitute big long scars to earlier trasplants and their procedures. 2. Is anyone ever satisfied with the results from their ht and was it a fue or strip procedure? 3. What after the ht do u as the patient have to do to receive the best results and what are the absolute no-no's. Also is their a surgeon or dr. who has great results in illinois or should i consider going elsewhere. Or as jack and others state live with it, but i truly truly hate living my life under a hat.