+ Reply to Thread

Default 17 and hair receeding

My hair has always been thin, I used to get my hair cut quite short. I noticed when I was 16 that I was starting to receed, I already had low self esteem to begin with and my hair recceding has destroyed what little confidence I had. I haven't had my hair cut properly for over a year and I have a sorta mullet now and hair in my eyes and I hate it. But I'm not a type of person that a shaved head would suit cus my face is chubby and my foreheads massive. Every since I noticed my hair receding I've felt sorry for myself and for a while I was really depressed, but that was from a combanation of things, mainly thougts of death and thoughts on mortality, perhaps my hair was a cause of this because Ive been feeling very old and nostalgic and cynical, baldness is always something I've associated with old age. I've never been a very social person because I haven't had the confidence and I'm angry because I feel now I have no chance in this era of my life where I'm meant to be having the best time of my life. Nowadays I can't even walk down the street without feeling completly paranoid. Just now I went out for a walk and it was really windy, I was trying to keep my hair down as I was dying inside, I pretended to text on my phone when really i was typing a note of random shit so I didn't have to look anybody in the face. I saw someone I know and they crossed before the traffic lights to avoid me, I was trying to walk down the road of where this girl I like lives in the hope that I might see her because I haven't seen her in so long even though I know I have no chance, I've never done that before by the way in case you think I'm a stalker. I turned back on myself because I was too self concious with the wind. I'm sorry that my story isn't very optimistic and won't be helpful but I just wanted to vent somehwere where i thought people might be able to relate.

Welcome to the rest of your life.

Hi Escape
    I am 24 and had the same problem at your age. Will you post a photo of your hair now so we can give you advice?

Way to welcome the kid Fixed. You can have had a little more compassion. Listen Escape, it is extremely painful to start balding at such a young age, but it is more common then you think. I was very young when I started also, 16 to be exact, but I was lucky to find Spencer Kobren’s radio show when I was going to college in New York. He really helped me and helps me to this day many years later. I have a very full and happy life so don’t let Fixed get you down. Listen to the show and call Spencer like I did. Don't let this rule your life, you can take control of it .

You can read my story here
    http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=435

Quote Originally Posted by Escape View Post
    My hair has always been thin, I used to get my hair cut quite short. I noticed when I was 16 that I was starting to receed, I already had low self esteem to begin with and my hair recceding has destroyed what little confidence I had. I haven't had my hair cut properly for over a year and I have a sorta mullet now and hair in my eyes and I hate it. But I'm not a type of person that a shaved head would suit cus my face is chubby and my foreheads massive. Every since I noticed my hair receding I've felt sorry for myself and for a while I was really depressed, but that was from a combanation of things, mainly thougts of death and thoughts on mortality, perhaps my hair was a cause of this because Ive been feeling very old and nostalgic and cynical, baldness is always something I've associated with old age. I've never been a very social person because I haven't had the confidence and I'm angry because I feel now I have no chance in this era of my life where I'm meant to be having the best time of my life. Nowadays I can't even walk down the street without feeling completly paranoid. Just now I went out for a walk and it was really windy, I was trying to keep my hair down as I was dying inside, I pretended to text on my phone when really i was typing a note of random shit so I didn't have to look anybody in the face. I saw someone I know and they crossed before the traffic lights to avoid me, I was trying to walk down the road of where this girl I like lives in the hope that I might see her because I haven't seen her in so long even though I know I have no chance, I've never done that before by the way in case you think I'm a stalker. I turned back on myself because I was too self concious with the wind. I'm sorry that my story isn't very optimistic and won't be helpful but I just wanted to vent somehwere where i thought people might be able to relate.
    Hey, I feel for you, balding in my 20's is horrible and I imagine it's even worse in your teens. I don't know what treatments you've looked into, but there are some options. Finasteride, dutasteride, minoxidil, ketoconazole, etc. Some people have amazing results with these products, especially if they start using them in early stages of hair loss.
    Talk to your doctor. Your young age may pose some complications in treating your hair loss, but if your doc is comfortable putting you on meds, it's definitely worth considering. You sound really down, so what do you have to lose? Go make an appointment and see if you can do something about it! Good luck.

Default I feel your pain, man

I started doming when I was 17 and it wrecked my life for many years. How many 17 year old girls want to be with a balding boy? Not many. I had no social life with girls back then so I know how much it sucks. I am 33 now and I have accepted my hairloss more now even though I still loathe being bald. Sometimes life kicks you in the nuts and you have to find a way to deal with it. When I was in my early 20s, I wore a hairpiece for about 3 years. It helped get me through a rough time and if you want to do that or explore drug treatments for your hairloss then that's your choice. Please know that I was there. I was totally bald by 21. It really sucks; however, I think some people are affected by it more than others. Do what you must to feel comfortable: therapy, hairpiece, going to the gym. Hang in there and don't give a **** what anybody thinks of you because their opinions are irrelevant.

Take care,

Weedwacker

that seems pretty young, you should see a doctor and if they don't have answers I would go to a nurtitionist, you could be lacking vitamins or could take something to help
    , or it could be due to any stress if you have at this age