+ Reply to Thread

Default How much hope do I have? Be honest

Looking to get a hair transplant for my head so my scalp barely shows. I am not expecting long, luscious, dense hair, but enough hair to cover most of my head so my scalp barely shows.

I'm 27 years old. On finasteride for 3 months now.

Hi KingK,

Firstly its a good move going on Finasteride, you have a lot of hair to save and sustain which will add greatly to your overall look following the matured growth of any hair restoration surgery.

You also appear to have some Retrograde Alopecia around the nape area of your neck, therefore it would be wise to not take any grafts from this area during surgery. Your use of Finasteride may address this issue and slow down any future loss in this area.

As for the surgery itself, I would recommend approximately 3500-4000 scalp grafts. Again I noticed from your side profile that your hair on the sides is showing some scalp, this could be a sign of diffuse thinning but again your use of Finasteride can address this.

But the issue with taking too many grafts (over harvesting) is that it may leave your donor and your sides looking too thin.

In addition to scalp grafts I would recommend approximately a further 1200 body grafts, 600 taken from the beard shadow area under the chin and 600 taken from the mid chest area. These grafts will be used alongside scalp grafts mainly in the mid scalp area behind the first few rows of the hairline and in front of the crown.

The plan would be to strengthen your hairline at it's current level, fill your midscalp and provide coverage to your crown.

Once grown out you will be able to reassess your situation. You may well be content with the improvement but you will also have the option of going for a further surgery of roughly 40% of the grafts total used in the first surgery to shore up some areas and add density if required.

Fell free to contact me direct should you wish me to elaborate on anything.

I wish you all the best.

Shera
    Patient Advisor for Dr Tejinder Bhatti
    Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India
    Tel +44 7708 018667 (call / text / whatsapp)
    Tel 0800 634 8588 (UK Toll free number)
    Email UK@darlingbuds.com

PS: As for hope, sure you have hope, check out my own surgery below

https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/thread...ht=#post209052
    Last edited by Shera; 03-04-2020 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Hope

Quote Originally Posted by kingk View Post
    Looking to get a hair transplant for my head so my scalp barely shows. I am not expecting long, luscious, dense hair, but enough hair to cover most of my head so my scalp barely shows.

I'm 27 years old. On finasteride for 3 months now.
    Before you do something stupid like get a HT please view my thread. I would suggest shaving it and owning it.

https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/thread...car?highlight=

Thanks for replying. I've spoken to some doctors and they have recommended FUE of about 5000 grafts for first session. I am ok with my hair looking thin on my sides as I can get a fade cut. Will the hair from the retrograde alopecia disappear in my future even if I am finasteride for the next 20 years lets say? I don't know about body/beard grafts as the texture and length of growth is different from hair on head.

Hi KingK,

The reason why you shouldn't overdo it with the scalp grafts is that every graft is precious and by over harvesting you run the risk of creating extraction holes so close to each other that they can join up and damage adjacent healthy grafts and also increase the risk of visible scarring. Of course when you are examined by a doctor himself he may well increase the graft number but it's best to play it safe when you are not blessed with the best donor.

The hair from the retrograde alopecia may or may not disappear, it's not certain but to extract these grafts and place into your scalp adds additional risk of these grafts surviving long term.

Body/beard grafts are usually placed into the scalp at a ratio of 4:1/5:1 alongside scalp grafts and are useful for coverage and adding to the illusion of density.

I hope that helps clarify a few things for you.

Shera
    UK Patient Advisor for Dr Tejinder Bhatti
    Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India
    Tel +44 7708 018667 (call / text / whatsapp)
    Tel 0800 634 8588 (UK Toll free number)
    Email UK@darlingbuds.com