+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is it possible to not go bald if you have hairloss in your family?

I have a strong history of hairloss on my father's side of the family. My father, both of his brothers, my grandfather and both of my aunt's sons were NW3 with extensive thinning by 19.
    My mother's side is much better. There isn't any hairloss anywhere in her family.

I was wondering if it is possible not to inherit hairloss if you have it in your family. I'm 19 with a typical NW1 hairline, no shedding, thinning or scalp itch/irritation. All the hairs I shed are very thick all the way through. Is it possible I will take after my mother's side of the family? Do you know anyone who has a bald dad but never lost their hair?

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    I have a strong history of hairloss on my father's side of the family. My father, both of his brothers, my grandfather and both of my aunt's sons were NW3 with extensive thinning by 19.
    My mother's side is much better. There isn't any hairloss anywhere in her family.

I was wondering if it is possible not to inherit hairloss if you have it in your family. I'm 19 with a typical NW1 hairline, no shedding, thinning or scalp itch/irritation. All the hairs I shed are very thick all the way through. Is it possible I will take after my mother's side of the family? Do you know anyone who has a bald dad but never lost their hair?

Dude, same exact situation here! On my mom's side there is no hairloss, but on my dad's side there is a great history of hairloss, even my dad is bald. I am sad to say that im balding too and im 21 and even my older brother is goin bald. But to answer your question anything is possible there is no telling what genes u got...only time will tell. i wish u luck, may u have a life-time of a full head of hair!

my two cousins have the same deal as mascott23. neither are bald. one is in his mid forties and the other in his mid thirties. both have the hair of a teenager.

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

It's very hard to predict who will go bald, and how rapidly it will happen. The genetics of hair loss are not so simple that the presence of balding in certain family members will necessarily be predictive of your likelihood of balding. If you haven't already fallen into the typical pattern of hair loss your paternal relatives underwent, you certainly might be one of the lucky ones who will not have to worry about hair loss, or at least not for many years.

Imo this is all guess work. We are all different. My 10 year older brother has better/more hair than I do and my younger brother is receding in front and thinning on the crown. My father had really fine hair and my mothers hair was/is VERY thin at 84 and has always been.

This is what my hairline looks like. This picture makes it look a little further back than it is, for some reason.
    Would you say I have anything to worry about?

i would say there is definitely some recession. you know yourself better than anyone else. if you think you're losing hair, you probably are. getting on meds would probably be a good idea. on a positive note, you've got a lot of hair. the meds will help you keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by mkamph View Post
    i would say there is definitely some recession. you know yourself better than anyone else. if you think you're losing hair, you probably are. getting on meds would probably be a good idea. on a positive note, you've got a lot of hair. the meds will help you keep it.
    Ah, shit. I really wasn't expecting that.
    My hairline always looked pretty normal to me, but now I'm not sure. I've had long-ish hair for most of my life so I don't know what my hairline looked like a few years ago.
    I guess I'll just keep an eye on it.

from the picture, nobody would ever say you're balding. you look like you have a full head of hair with some slight recession. the only reason i would notice it, is because i'm at a point where i notice that kind of thing. the sooner you start meds the better. proscar is cheap and taking it may put your mind at ease.