+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Hair Science Institute: Another Scam?

This is a clinic in the Netherlands, but they also have offices in London and Vienna. It sounds a bit too good to be true:

http://www.hasci.com/default2.aspx?i...9-2befab23e313

The short answer is YES!

Inactive

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_Dude View Post
    This is a clinic in the Netherlands, but they also have offices in London and Vienna. It sounds a bit too good to be true:

http://www.hasci.com/default2.aspx?i...9-2befab23e313
    The short answer is – NO!

Recently, a Dutch authority decided for HSI, and that the Hair Science Institute definitely has the permission and the right for all their claims on their website.

Source: http://www.hasci.com
    (Translation Dutch/English)
    --------------------------
    HSI wins lawsuit at the Reclame Code Commissie!

On 15 July 2010, the Hair Science Institute (HSI) could at the Reclame Code Commissie (RCC) successfully defend a lawsuit by some hair transplant clinics due to false statements made by HSI. This lawsuit was the newest episode of a continuing series of efforts of these clinics to discredit HSI.

Reason for the lawsuit against HSI were the made claims by HSI of "hair multiplication" as a result of HSI’s patented Hairstemcell Transplantation® (HST), and that for the hair multiplication claims no evidence exists. The applicants were:

• Transhair BV
    • Aesthetic Team BV
    • Laser Surgery
    • Prohairclinic
    • Hairplus Medical Care

After a fair hearing of all affected parties and experts, finally the commission came to the decision, that HSI has just made plausible statements on their website and judged therefore the lawsuit for unfounded.
    In addition, the claim the popular Dutchman Gerard Joling has HSI “linked to his name” was dismissed by the commission as irrelevant. In the attached PDF file, you can read the official decision of the Reclame Code Commissie.

This decision was truly no surprise for HSI and its clients. However, for HSI it is gratifying to see, that now the Reclame Code Commissie too has confirmed, that Hairstemcell Transplantation@ (HST) and its resulting unique statement of "hair multiplication" is fully justified.

We hope you enjoy reading!

Official decision of the Reclame Code Commissie (RCC):
    http://www.hasci.com/uploads/downloa...tspraakRCC.pdf

So what?
    Since April 2010, actually the whole HT field is aware of HSI’s published scientifically peer-reviewed paper:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20388024

That means, normally EVERY “FUE expert” out there is really easy able to prove or to disprove this study. Where is the problem? Or aren’t there any “FUE-experts” out there?

It seems not, because they presented and informed every year about their progress for this technique since 2007 (2008 and 2009 too) at the ISHRS congress, as for instance 2007 in Las Vegas:
    http://ushairrestoration.com/follicu...plantation.php

In my personal opinion, all such guys and doctors, who claim “the HSI technique is a scam”, are the real scammers - besides the fact, that it seems that those ones don’t even have the necessary scientifically knowhow in their own field. I can see this almost every day. And THIS is really sad!

Quote Originally Posted by HairRobinHood View Post
    The short answer is – NO!

Recently, a Dutch authority decided for HSI, and that the Hair Science Institute definitely has the permission and the right for all their claims on their website.

Source: http://www.hasci.com
    (Translation Dutch/English)
    HSI wins lawsuit at the Reclame Code Commissie!

On 15 July 2010, the Hair Science Institute (HSI) could at the Reclame Code Commissie (RCC) successfully defend a lawsuit by some hair transplant clinics due to false statements made by HSI. This lawsuit was the newest episode of a continuing series of efforts of these clinics to discredit HSI.

Reason for the lawsuit against HSI were the made claims by HSI of "hair multiplication" as a result of HSI’s patented Hairstemcell Transplantation® (HST), and that for the hair multiplication claims no evidence exists. The applicants were:

• Transhair BV
    • Aesthetic Team BV
    • Laser Surgery
    • Prohairclinic
    • Hairplus Medical Care

After a fair hearing of all affected parties and experts, finally the commission came to the decision, that HSI has just made plausible statements on their website and judged therefore the lawsuit for unfounded.
    In addition, the claim the popular Dutchman Gerard Joling has HSI “linked to his name” was dismissed by the commission as irrelevant. In the attached PDF file, you can read the official decision of the Reclame Code Commissie.

This decision was truly no surprise for HSI and its clients. However, for HSI it is gratifying to see, that now the Reclame Code Commissie too has confirmed, that Hairstemcell Transplantation@ (HST) and its resulting unique statement of "hair multiplication" is fully justified.

We hope you enjoy reading!

Official decision of the Reclame Code Commissie (RCC):
    http://www.hasci.com/uploads/downloa...tspraakRCC.pdf

So what?
    Since April 2010, actually the whole HT field is aware of HSI’s published scientifically peer-reviewed paper:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20388024

That means, normally EVERY “FUE expert” out there is really easy able to prove or to disprove this study. Where is the problem? Or aren’t there any “FUE-experts” out there?

It seems not, because they presented and informed every year about their progress for this technique since 2007 (2008 and 2009 too) at the ISHRS congress, as for instance 2007 in Las Vegas:
    http://ushairrestoration.com/follicu...plantation.php

In my personal opinion, all such guys and doctors, who claim “the HSI technique is a scam”, are the real scammers - besides the fact, that it seems that those ones don’t even have the necessary scientifically knowhow in their own field. I can see this almost every day. And THIS is really sad!
    Well, don't you think it's too good to be true? A lot of hair surgeons who are on the IAHRS signed that petition against HSI, including Bijan Feriduni of Belgium, who is considered the best surgeon in the Benelux region.

If this is out there, if they really can multiply the donor area, and use it time and time again, isn't this just as good as a cure for baldness?

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_Dude View Post
    Well, don't you think it's too good to be true? A lot of hair surgeons who are on the IAHRS signed that petition against HSI, including Bijan Feriduni of Belgium, who is considered the best surgeon in the Benelux region.

If this is out there, if they really can multiply the donor area, and use it time and time again, isn't this just as good as a cure for baldness?

Untrue. Here is what actually happend:

Source (Origin): http://www.nieuwsbank.nl/inp/2010/01/28/R382.htm

Google Translation: http://translate.google.de/translate...82.htm&act=url

The part concerning Dr. Feriduni:
    ----------------------
    Translation Dutch/English:

ABSTRACT
    “Probably the most prominent doctor [Dr. Feriduni], who initially has the same criticism applied to us, wrote us on the day after the publication of the criticism, that he did a big mistake, and that he just made himself badly with this uncouth attack by the other hair clinics against the Hair Science Institute, and therefore he completely dissociates himself from this criticism. In addition, the initiators of the criticism are committed to him for wrong assertion.“
    ---------------------

Welcome to the HT field! A bunch full of uneducated and envious idiots (sorry).

Kudos, HRH, for bringing the truth to light. I would be interested to hear what Spencer Kobren has to say about this. I would be the first to agree that Dr. Gho's claims in the early 2000s were not reliable, but he has refined his technique and appears to be running a very successful operation multiplying hair in Europe. One has to wonder if this info is being buried by the docs who worry they would be rendered obsolete once word got out that there was a reliable FUE technique that does not deplete the donor!!!

May I suggest that this thread be retitled Hair Science Institute is the real deal and is cloning hair!!! We need to get the word out!!!

I can't get very excited until HSI shows me before-and-after photos that couldn't be matched/bested by quite a few other surgeons. The photos on its website don't show that right now.

If this was the hair multiplication we've been waiting for, then they should be able to transplant a limitless number of hairs over the long term and eventually present a full head of hair (at least a solid NW2 with no visible diffuse thinning behind the hairline), correct? If they show these kinds of results in the next couple years, I'll be ecstatic. And I'm not going to say it's impossible. But jumping on Dr. Gho's bandwagon again this time around... seems like setting oneself up for disappointment.

I said this on another forum - easier just to copy/paste:

I should say that I have spoken personally with three different doctors at HSI, and have spent a total of well over an hour on the phone with them (the long distance charges sucked!). They were very patient with me, answered all my questions, criticisms and skepticism. They have also sent me clear close-up photos of before and afters showing donor regrowth after the procedure.

They started this new technique just a couple of years ago and the success they say is unquestionable. We just don't hear about it because we're across the Atlantic and doctors here will not give credit where its due because the procedure is patented -- let's face it, if the average prospective patient knew they could do an FUE procedure without loss of donor, they would take the option. (I asked Hairtech from SMG on these boards for comment on this procedure and he has been conspicuously silent -- despite being very active on these boards during the weeks prior.)

Yes, HSI admitted to me that the procedure was flawed in the early 2000s (causing much less donor regrowth), but Dr. Gho developed a much improved technique (splitting follicles longitudally instead of horizontally) that guarantees at least 80% donor regrowth -- and he parted ways with his old clinic shortly thereafter to start HSI.

I asked HSI why they don't have photos on their site of NW6s transformed to NW1. They said the technique has only been around for a couple of years, you can only have approx 1500 grafts per procedure, and you have to wait at least 9 months between each one. So there hasn't been time for any drastic transformations yet. They admit their marketing sucks, but have said they really don't feel pressure to prove their naysayers wrong because they're booked through mid-2011 as it is. Clearly they're doing something right

Thank you for the info. I would love for reliable HM to be a reality today, but in an industry with so much snake oil it's important to remain skeptical until you can see for yourself. This is also why I don't consider the popularity of a new treatment to prove its effectiveness, because in truth most new treatments are disappointing or fail completely, despite how many desperate people flock to them in hopes of restoring their hair.
    HSI's responses suggest they won't be able to show us results better than conventional HT for at least another 2-3 years. If they come through, it'll be great. But until then, we won't know, unless others can see something I missed.
    One thing that stands out to me though. 1,500 grafts per 9 months? If the technology works, it seems as though restoring a full head of hair to a NW6 would take 5-10 years of surgeries with this technique.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Thank you for the info. I would love for reliable HM to be a reality today, but in an industry with so much snake oil it's important to remain skeptical until you can see for yourself. This is also why I don't consider the popularity of a new treatment to prove its effectiveness, because in truth most new treatments are disappointing or fail completely, despite how many desperate people flock to them in hopes of restoring their hair.
    HSI's responses suggest they won't be able to show us results better than conventional HT for at least another 2-3 years. If they come through, it'll be great. But until then, we won't know, unless others can see something I missed.
    One thing that stands out to me though. 1,500 grafts per 9 months? If the technology works, it seems as though restoring a full head of hair to a NW6 would take 5-10 years of surgeries with this technique.
    Yes, that also seems to puzzle me...when I look at the website of Hasson and Wong for instance, I saw an entirely bald man who was restored to an (almost) NW1 in 2 mega sessions...I wonder why this technique does not enable them to do something like this. The prices are also very very high.

This also bothers me:

Per cm² kunnen in één behandeling 30-35 grafts (in een volledig kaal gebied) geplaatst worden. Deze dichtheid kan in een volgende sessie maximaal verhoogd worden tot ongeveer 50 grafts per cm².

Translation: Per cm2 there can only be 30-35 grafts transplanted (in a completely bald area). In a later session (probably after 9 months I assume) they can increase the density to 50 grafts per cm2. Is that not a bit too little to achieve maximum effect?