Thread: Recoverup!

Threaded View

Two good questions. Is TRX2 safe, and can it interfere with finasteride? I guess we need to consider the active ingredients which are Potassium, BCAA, Nicotinic Acid and L-carnitine:

A potassium rich diet is healthy and it is claimed it can reduce hypertension and stroke. It's found in almost all fruits and vegetables. The recommended amount per day is normally around 4,000mg and typically Brits and Americans consume only half of that. However, very high concentrations of potassium ion in concentrated tablet form can kill tissue and cause gastric injury and therefore non-prescription supplement pills are limited to 99mg in the United States. I would presume there is less than this in TRX2, especially as a multivitamin is recommended alongside taking this tablet. Provided this is the case, potassium should not be a concern (however, if you have kidney diseases, you should not take potassium ions).

BCAA are branched chain amino acids. Apparently, they have been used to clinically aid the recovery of burn victims! My reading of this ingredient is that it is harmless; only a deficiency will cause problems.

Nicotinic acid is a B vitamin (B3). Does anyone ever use those Berocca tabs? I think there's a shedload of niacin in those and it's never done me any harm!

On a more serious note, you should not exceed 3g of niacin per day.

Finally, L-carnitine. Wikipedia tells me that administration of a carnitine mixture or propionyl-L-carnitine is capable of increasing serum osteocalcin concentrations of animals thus treated, whereas serum osteocalcin levels tend to decrease with age in control animals. Apparently, it's been used as a weight loss supplement and in the treatment of diabetes.

I think from what I've read it shouldn't interfere with propecia or have side effects, provided the doses are below those advised above. Actually, a good argument could be made that the ingredients are just a bunch of vitamins you can buy over the counter, although I think BCAA and L-carnitine would be hard to come by!