+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: advice about ht

Default advice about ht

Hi, I am 20 years old and I am losing my hair already, I am looking to get some advice about what to do. I have been to see my doctor who has prescribed me finesteride, but looking at the side effects ect I have yet to try it as I am unsure about it. I basically have receeding temples and front, although my hairline has always been quite far back at the temples. I have had comments of friends who are letting me know in a "friendly" manner that I am going to go bald, which doesnt help. My father who is now 66 would be 6 on the norwood scale, and my older half brother who is around 42 is most probably a 5. I am considering a hair transplant as I love having long hair and as it stands my hair at the front is too thin to do so. I get that I will probably eventually end up with the same baldness as my father and I was wondering what people think about geting a ht where it would look good now, but as you get older wouldnt look wierd with the rest of your hair balding(if that makes much sense), and I do realise I would probably have to have more than one procedure. I have a attatched a picture although it isnt the best quality.
    Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0033.jpg

Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	6230  

try finasteride. if you experience side effets stop taking it. the probability of you experiencing side effects are minimal.

I guess I will try, I am wondering if it is good at restoring what I have lost aswell. Have you had experience with it and had any side-effects, I am wary of the horror stories that seem to float around with the side-effects of finesteride.

i've used meds for 10+ years and haven't had side effects. the people online are usually people with horror stories trying to get resolve for whatever issue they are having. the people who don't have issues with the drug have no need for resolve and don't have a horror story to share on the internet. the latter are the majority. i have several friends who use meds for hair loss and they haven't had any sides either.

as for getting back what you have lost, finasteride is good at slowing or completely stopping the balding process. it will thicken up thinned areas, but i haven't heard of it regrowing hair in a completely bald area.

pop 20
    Propecia/finasteride I havent had much luck with for the last 3 years. I am eactly thinking what ur thinking about trying a HT

I would second what mkamph said. I have taken propecia (always the name brand) for about 8 years -- within a year of taking it, it stopped my hair loss completely and has made my existing hair healthier (way less thin) - I haven't lost hair since beginning taking it and have never had any side effects. I used to lose hair in the shower, when brushing etc before propecia, but have not had that experience in 8 years. Unlike some big success stories though, I haven't noticed any new growth in the areas that were already pretty balded out.

At your age, I would get on it and stay on it (unless, as noted, you are one of the few who have side effects), and keep your eyes and ears peeled for a really promising breakthrough before opting for an HT (not that I'm anti-HT -- I had one and it was one of the best things I ever did for myself).

Best of luck!

Wow your hair is almost exactly the same as mine, i thought it was my own for a minute. But you've got a thicker tuft at the front. At your age i really wouldnt prescribe fin and all that shit, i don't think it does anyone a world of good in my personal opinion. Also, for guys like us that already have bald spots, fin & rogaine will more or less just keep your hair in the state it is just now, so you will always have the recession and limited amounts of options as far as style & length - and you will still get comments as it only locks in the hair at its current state. But then again you might be one of the lucky ones that does get re-growth.

Quote Originally Posted by mike92 View Post
    At your age i really wouldnt prescribe fin and all that shit, i don't think it does anyone a world of good in my personal opinion.

fin & rogaine will more or less just keep your hair in the state it is just now
    How is keeping his hair not a "world of good"?

Lots of bald dudes would kill to have his hair. Sounds like a world of good to me.

Because some of the side effects of fin can be pretty bad if your the unlucky few that suffer them (sexual dysfunction etc), id rather have no hair than suffer the worst than fin can do.

Quote Originally Posted by mike92 View Post
    unlucky few
    Fair enough, but keep in mind that the "unlucky few" is the key phrase here.

Statistically speaking, you're probably more likely to die in the next year from a transportation accident than you are to experience sides from finasteride.

The risk is still very much worth noting, but not enough to refute the use of finasteride imo. I'm 3 days in, myself.