+ Reply to Thread

Smile MPB treatments for the relatively young

Hey guys,

I'm a long time lurker--it's great that there is a community out there to bounce ideas and learn about others stories.

Balding runs in my family (on both sides) and my hairline/crown started to thin when I was 19 years old. When in college (22 years old) I started taking MPB seriously and started a Rogaine, Laser-comb, Propecia and Nizoral regimen. The products worked well and halted the hair loss but I really couldn't handle the side effects (loss of libido, ED, brain fog and testicular pain) so I stopped a year and a half later.

It's been a year (I'm now 24) and my hair line is starting to thing again and I'm wondering what I can do/add to my regime to help stop the balding.

My dermatologist prescribed Luxiq foam--I'm not really sure if it's relevant since most of the literature I read points to Luxiq being use to treat irritation.

I'm also debating whether to start Propecia again. A part of me thinks the side effects could have been psychosomatic (the internet doesn't help).

Also I'm curious whether using the Nizoral cream is more effective than the shampoo alone.

Any input would be appreciated!

Shaving your head always seems to work.

Quote Originally Posted by kenny57028 View Post
    Shaving your head always seems to work.

He is looking for some actual help here, not a flippant remark. If you were so satisfied with the results of shaving your hair, you wouldn't be here in the first place.

Absolutely. If bald was beautiful, the razor industry would be bigger than the hair restoration industry. Guess what, it isn't!

My suggestion would be that most of the Propecia side effects are indeed psychosomatic. Also, most of those 'side effects' seem to be fairly natural responses to hair loss.

The brain fog is the easiest to explain. It's hard to focus on a task when your worrying about something else. The loss of libido can be linked to lower self esteem. Both can be linked to mild depression.

Best thing to do is to get back onto the big three and give it six months. If the side effects start again, then by all means stop.

Wouldn't that not make sense since each hair transplant is like $10,000 and each razor $5? But no im just trying to give another solution to hairloss just like anyone else, wether you go on propecia or not (and I could care less about side effecte as I believe there blown out of proportion just like you) People are still gona noticed that your just less "thin"... just saying.

An yes the whole shave my head thing did work for me and I'd like to help someone else before they waste hard earned money.

It was just a joke, you shouldn't take it too literally!

All I was pointing out is that you don't get men smothering their heads in hair removal cream trying to look bald. It is an undesirable look. Yes, it's probably not that bad but it is an undesirable look. Given a choice, no one would choose to be bald, except maybe an incredibly lazy man who hates paying for hair cuts!

The trouble with the shaved head therefore is that it is a beacon of defeat, because a man ends up losing the battle and not getting a single concession when the peace treaty is signed! Admittedly, it's a battle no ordinary man can win, at least not for now, but it is a defeat nonetheless.

The shaved head also causes problems of its own, especially for tall or well built men. It portrays a very negative image in the corporate world, because it can make you look like a thug and when you wear a suit it looks like you've had a court summons (although wearing glasses can quickly neutralise your image - thank god I need glasses).

I'm hoping that one of the hair multipliers is out there by 2013 as my long term solution, my short term is propecia and Toppik. I can't be bothered with minoxidil.

I actually totally agree with you given the chance of a full head of hair vs. a shaved head I would choose a full head of hair. I think I looked much better with hair with that being said I would choose a shaved head versus thinning hair. I think for people like me that don't have money for propecia or HT, shaving your head is a good option. I'm just trying to give a 3rd option so people know it is atleast an option. Also if hair multiplier or anyother treatment out there by 2013 I would glady shell out the cash for it.

You should try to give Propecia another shot. Start with a half tablet , when you see that you have no sides then up it to a full 1mg. You’ll see that it was probably all in your head.

Thanks for the input!

I would have no problems shaving my head if I had about 50 pounds more of muscle...

I'm going to start Propecia again and see how it goes.

Does anyone have feedback on the use of Nizoral cream (application in shower) vs Nizoral shampoo? Also--any ideas if Luxiq is worth using on the scalp?