+ Reply to Thread

Default UK about to choose a clinic and need advise

Hi 34 years old based in the UK, hair thinning for the last 6 years , very gradual and reason for doing something about this / slowing down. FUT seem to be the treatment that i like the most.

I've been on finasteride for the last 3 months and in two minds to switch to dutasteride as i've been told it give me twice the chance since going to "FUE clinics".

Been quoted by fueclinics.com based in the midlands england with dr nicholas doing the work for 5.5k,however i have found it hard finding out more on the company and DR.

I have a limited budget (under 7K) however plan on going to 2 next two clinics are Dr Farjo and Dr Edward Maitland which i know will mostly likely cost more as they charge by the graft and are popular.

Not sure if i should switch drugs and should i be looking for a more ambitious hairline or not. Like wise is it advisable to have 2 rather than one big surgery.

I have attached picture of the current state , which i didnt realise was as bad as it was untill i took them. Guessing i am norwood 2 on the scale but could be wrong
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hair line.jpg

Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	65368   Click image for larger version

Name:	front of hair.jpg

Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	65369   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191210_085425.jpg

Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	65370   Click image for larger version

Name:	side of head.jpg

Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	65371   Click image for larger version

Name:	hair parted.jpg

Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	65372  

Disclaimer: I’m not a hair transplant surgeon nor a qualified medical practitioner.

With the pills you’re taking action - it’s the first step!

You say you’ve noticed hair loss/thinning over a 6 year period. If you’ve only been on the pills a few months, it’s probably advisable to wait a year to stabilise your loss first and see what gains if any you can make without surgery. Wait a year and revaluate.

Hair transplants are not a treatment for hair loss: they won’t stop you losing hair. Only medication may stop/reverse/slow hair loss.

The fact that you’re thinking about it from a cost perspective is a bad sign. You should be thinking about it from a donor bank perspective. HTs can go horribly wrong and you can be scarred for life. You may also need a second one to add density after the first. Therefore, if price is such a major consideration over the ideal surgeon for you, it’s probably better to save up and wait a bit longer. Your donor hair is far more valuable than money and once it’s depleted, your options are minimal. That’s why it’d so important to pick who you think is the best surgeon for the job.

Judging from your pics, you have a good donor supply and in the right hands, you could get a very satisfactory result.

Don’t rush into it!

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by iiamjezz View Post
    Hi 34 years old based in the UK, hair thinning for the last 6 years , very gradual and reason for doing something about this / slowing down. FUT seem to be the treatment that i like the most.

I've been on finasteride for the last 3 months and in two minds to switch to dutasteride as i've been told it give me twice the chance since going to "FUE clinics".

Been quoted by fueclinics.com based in the midlands england with dr nicholas doing the work for 5.5k,however i have found it hard finding out more on the company and DR.

I have a limited budget (under 7K) however plan on going to 2 next two clinics are Dr Farjo and Dr Edward Maitland which i know will mostly likely cost more as they charge by the graft and are popular.

Not sure if i should switch drugs and should i be looking for a more ambitious hairline or not. Like wise is it advisable to have 2 rather than one big surgery.

I have attached picture of the current state , which i didnt realise was as bad as it was untill i took them. Guessing i am norwood 2 on the scale but could be wrong
    Shave it and own it. Please check out my thread before you go under the knife.

https://www.baldtruthtalk.com/thread...car?highlight=

Hi Jezz,

Likewise, I am also no medical expert.

Prior to even considering surgery I was on Finasteride for years which definitely slowed down my rate of loss. In my early 30’s I switched to Dutasteride as I felt the Finasteride wasn’t working as effectively after 10+ years. This has been fine for me with no sides. I also used Lipogaine big 3 approx. 3 times a week.

On Friday there I underwent FUE surgery with Dr Ball at the Maitland Clinic in Portsmouth.

Great experience from start to finish and I’m delighted with the quality of the procedure. Obviously I can’t comment on the result yet but it’s all very tidy and most importantly, a sensible natural hairline that should hopefully age well with me.

Personally I would take some time to see how you respond to the Finasteride prior to switching to Dutasteride. Only then consider surgery.

Give me a shout if I can be of anymore help.

Best of luck!