+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice needed

Default Advice needed

Hi guys,

im 22 years old and have been losing hair for a few years now. it wasnt so bad a few years back, but over the previous 2 years ive noticed it begging to accelerate. ive lost hair from the temples and its starting to work it way up towards the crown. My brothers two years older then me, and his situation is a little bit more advanced then mine- ideally id like to stop it from getting to that stage.

my main aim is to maintain what i have, if i get extra growth then thats great, but that will just be an added bonus.

i came across this site and started my research, and to my surprise found two drugs were licensed for use: propecia and minoxidil. ive been trying to research the effectiveness of these drugs online by looking at various articles. it is however difficult to access some of these because i dont have subscription. is anyone aware of any website where the latest hair-loss related articles, and in particular information about propecia and minoxidil can be accessed for free. im not to keen on plucking minoxidil and propecia into google and then going from there, id feel a lot more comfortable intrusting formal articles.

also, is it best advised for me to start on propecia and minoxidil both, or just a single one. i'm not too keen on the idea of using a 5 alpha reductase inhibitor, a potassium channel opener seems slightly better to me. having said that, ive read minoxidil works best around the crown area, so is there any point in applying it to the front?

sorry for the long post, but am just slightly confused (and worried) at the moment.

just to add, is using hair products, e.g. wax bad for your hair. i put it in almost every day, and straight of the shower its in again, so my hair doesnt really get a rest from it. would it be better to shower in the eveenings as well and just let my hair rest with nothing in it over night, or will it not make much of a diff.

thanks again

You’ve found the best site to get your information. You can also check out www.americanhairloss.org and check their treatment section.
    Propecia is really your best bet and the AHLA suggests you start with that before trying Rogaine since lowering DHT is what can actually stop your hair loss.