+ Reply to Thread

Default Hello! How can/should Finasteride side effects be mitigated?

Hello all,
    First off, I wanted to say hello as I have been reading these forums for a bit now but have never registered, and I should probably be posting here from now on
    I am 21 years old and have felt myself losing my hair for quite some time now. Even though it hadn’t progressed too far, I wanted to get on Finasteride as soon as possible to keep as much hair as I could. I went to my dermatologist and was prescribed 1mg Finasteride daily. I’ve been on Finasteride now for about 5-6 months and have noticed slight improvements but am also dealing with some pretty bad dandruff (seborrheic dermatitis) so I’m trusting the process and waiting it out to see full effects. However, I have noticed a pretty significant dip in my libido and much less semen in my ejaculation, even decreased sensitivity upon orgasm. This worries me, and I know if it continues to be as bad as it is now then there is practically no point of continuing the medication. My question is, can I take steps to try and mitigate the side effects? I did read research studies on how on certain individuals seemed to have lessened side effects after a certain amount of time on the medication. I’ve also read up on a bunch of the OTC supplements that I could take to try and help, but perhaps it would be wisest to go straight to a doctor? Does anybody have experience with this sort of situation? I am going to go to my doctor and see if there is anything that can be done as I would really like to stay on the medication.

Thank you and I’m excited to meet you all!

This isn't official medical advice, but go get your estradiol (E2) levels checked! See if you are within a normal range. Fin increases estradiol and that will absolutely give you these side effects. Even if you are in the normal range you may be towards the top. Some people need to be in the lower range to feel good. There are only a few ways to get around this if it's E2 related. You try and cut the dose or you take something like arimidex to block estradiol. It's extremely difficult to get a common doc to give you such a medication. We can talk more if you want.

This is a snippet from the FDA. 15% increase in estradiol. In some people that can have a great effect and in some people it could be a much higher percentage.

Finasteride produces a rapid reduction in serum DHT concentration, reaching 65% suppression within 24 hours of oral dosing with a 1-mg tablet. Mean circulating levels of testosterone and estradiol were increased by approximately 15% as compared to baseline, but these remained within the physiologic range.
    https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugs...788s018lbl.pdf