+ Reply to Thread

Default Two transplants with Dr. Rahal. Hair thinning terribly. Patchy spots.

Hello everyone,

Mike Flaherty is not my real name.

My first transplant with Dr. Rahal was nine years ago in 2010. I had another one performed two years later in 2012 to lower my temple points and add some hair to the sides of my hair. All in all, I believe it was around 7000 grafts transplanted over those two sessions.

My hair still felt rather thin and wispy but with meds and thickening products I managed and for a few years was pleased with it. This year my hair has started thinning something fierce - especially on the sides which now look almost bare. I've developed bare patches on top as well, which were always there but this year they have gotten extremely sparse. By the end of the day, my hair feels extremely thin and almost greasy to touch. I'm seeing a lot more long hairs fall out in the sink when I wash my hair. I switched to organic shampoo two months ago but that might have made shedding (if that's what this is) worse.

My bareness on the side (right side especially) has now exposed my scar from my procedure years ago. After these two very expensive procedures ($20,000 which I'm still paying off) I'm very dissappointed in the quality of my hair's thinness and continuing loss. I know I've put on an amount of weight the last few but I can't see that factoring into my hair loss.

I did consult with Rahal this past spring who suggested another procedure - at an additional $7000. I'm amazed at the incredible thick hairlines and work I see from other Rahal patients but mine was not one of them. Pretty much at a loss (pardon the pun) right now regarding this situation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Side Right.jpg

Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	64871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side left.jpg

Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	64872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top 2.jpg

Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	64873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top 3.jpg

Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	64874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top.jpg

Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	64875  

I can understand the patches and understand your concerns. Have you tried any concealers on camera to see how they come out. They may help. If you go in for another procedure, you have to be careful as thicker grafts in already scarred tissue can result in more shockloss or damage if done wrong. I can see the strip scar on one side more then the other at the same haircut length? You may be able to get that filled. Your donor seems medium caliber so id expect it to fill up front well. How did the area look before surgery?

thats the one thing i looked forward to with the restoration, having a front facing job requires a lot of eyes at the face including scalp. If it doesnt go as per the goals it can create numerous issues and your left chasing ways to get out of the situation with very confusing options. Currently trying to figure all of it out myself. Wish you the best.

You can try SMP to fill things out and it should really help. I have not tried this myself, but a close friend has after his transplant and it looks great. Very similar issue to yours.