+ Reply to Thread

Default Just completed 9 months of finasteride, not good..

25 year old here. I used to be a competitive powerlifter from 2017-2019 and did crossfit for 6 years before that. In powerlifting, i took steroids. I probably did about 7 cycles and was taking some fairly heavy doses of gear.

I was able to achieve 3 state records and deadlift 3x my bodyweight. I started noticing hair loss in early 2018 after i had done a few cycles. For months i kept trying to find reasons to convince myself i wasn't losing hair (lighting, angle, scratching my head too much) but by january of 2019, i had receded to nearly a NW 3 with a thin crown.

I was always eating healthy and monitoring my bloodwork while using gear. Thankfully i never had any health problems. Never had rage or acne either. Just the hair loss which ****ed with my head.

Started finasteride january 15th and quit using gear december 1st. I'm still on TRT because i want to maintain my physique (5'10 195lb lean) and also to feel good. Also tried minoxidil on my hairline for 2 months but gave that up quick. I used it on my crown for about 5 months (including the 2 using it on my hairline). I also use keto shampoo 2x a week.

Fast forward to october of 2019 and i feel like I've lost even more.. I've been shedding a ton lately and have been shedding off and on for 9 months. Really doubt my mpb is progressing since i was just barely losing hair on supraphysiological doses of T and DHT. Every week i look more bald with smooth patches and my hair feels weaker.

I've gotten blood work done, dht is 10 (ref range was 15-45). My question is this, is regrowth still possible this late? Some say they don't see hair gains till at least 12-18 months.

Please do not lecture me on my decisions, I've come here for hair loss advice, not health advice. I don't want to hear things like this:

"Why would you ever take steroids and ruin your body"
    "You may have lost more without finasteride"
    "YOU HAVE RUINED YOUR DICK FOR LIFE"
    "Shave your head" (i may still do that in the future)

Quote Originally Posted by X782gd73bd8 View Post
    25 year old here. I used to be a competitive powerlifter from 2017-2019 and did crossfit for 6 years before that. In powerlifting, i took steroids. I probably did about 7 cycles and was taking some fairly heavy doses of gear.

I was able to achieve 3 state records and deadlift 3x my bodyweight. I started noticing hair loss in early 2018 after i had done a few cycles. For months i kept trying to find reasons to convince myself i wasn't losing hair (lighting, angle, scratching my head too much) but by january of 2019, i had receded to nearly a NW 3 with a thin crown.

I was always eating healthy and monitoring my bloodwork while using gear. Thankfully i never had any health problems. Never had rage or acne either. Just the hair loss which ****ed with my head.

Started finasteride january 15th and quit using gear december 1st. I'm still on TRT because i want to maintain my physique (5'10 195lb lean) and also to feel good. Also tried minoxidil on my hairline for 2 months but gave that up quick. I used it on my crown for about 5 months (including the 2 using it on my hairline). I also use keto shampoo 2x a week.

Fast forward to october of 2019 and i feel like I've lost even more.. I've been shedding a ton lately and have been shedding off and on for 9 months. Really doubt my mpb is progressing since i was just barely losing hair on supraphysiological doses of T and DHT. Every week i look more bald with smooth patches and my hair feels weaker.

I've gotten blood work done, dht is 10 (ref range was 15-45). My question is this, is regrowth still possible this late? Some say they don't see hair gains till at least 12-18 months.

Please do not lecture me on my decisions, I've come here for hair loss advice, not health advice. I don't want to hear things like this:

"Why would you ever take steroids and ruin your body"
    "You may have lost more without finasteride"
    "YOU HAVE RUINED YOUR DICK FOR LIFE"
    "Shave your head" (i may still do that in the future)
    Also i haven't gotten any sides from fin and i have access to dut.

stopping minoxidil can cause a shed, therefore it can make your hair look worse. If you’re still losing a massive amount of hair on fin and well below baseline, you may want to give DUT a try.

Quote Originally Posted by GoingBald34 View Post
    stopping minoxidil can cause a shed, therefore it can make your hair look worse. If you’re still losing a massive amount of hair on fin and well below baseline, you may want to give DUT a try.
    Even though i stopped it so long ago?

maan i am the exact same - i started finasteride 3 months ago and ive lost maybe 75% of my density its been awful, no one can tell me thats just a normal shed. i stopped taking it around 3 weeks ago now and im still losing hair . im hoping it was just a telogen effluvium from my body reacting to finasteride but i dont know . i barely had any balding other than receding at the temples but now i am thin all over. i just dont think finasteride works for everyone

Quote Originally Posted by baldingboi View Post
    maan i am the exact same - i started finasteride 3 months ago and ive lost maybe 75% of my density its been awful, no one can tell me thats just a normal shed. i stopped taking it around 3 weeks ago now and im still losing hair . im hoping it was just a telogen effluvium from my body reacting to finasteride but i dont know . i barely had any balding other than receding at the temples but now i am thin all over. i just dont think finasteride works for everyone
    As far as what i can make out of talking to some manufactures and suppliers is that the hair shedding is unavoidable for example if you have lost 75% of density what that means according to some people and dermotoloist i spoke to is you would have lost that 75% over time as that 75% was already on borrowed time and what finasteride or minoxidil does is it accelerate the shedding in order to make way for new follicles IF there is any chance of reviving your follicles , A lot of people blame minoxidil and finasteride for losing even more hair and most of the stories i have read is many of them used it for less then a year and then stopped and this explains a lot of blaming as this period is the worst for shedding although a lot of people see good results in 6 months there are many who needs over a year for the treatment to bed in properly the dermotoloists i spoke to said they had patient who saw results after 2 years so recommended not to give up so soon and that topical and oral treatments are generally lifelong treatment depending on your original cause of hair loss , My hair loss started at 25 and at that time i only started using 5% minoxidil then in 6-9 months i regained most of what i lost then i stopped at the age of 28 and never used any treatments until now and now am almost 38 i have lost 75-80% of my hair see picture attachments i only recently started treatment as i am fed up of people saying i look 50 but now instead of oral finasteride i decided to use Topical Dusteride-D5A and minoxidil containing bimatoprost-FR10 its only been less then a month and did not see mush shedding as there is not much hair on my to to shed but today i saw some fuzzy peach hair type sprouting our barely visible am not hoping to get all my hair back but am hoping to at least make it bit denser , And lastly topical treatment can be messy but you just have to make it a routine habit just like brushing your teeth and try to forget why you are on it as sometimes anxiety kicks in and our mind thinks of all sorts of things just remember if you are destined to MPB then either way you will lose your hair the only difference is without treatments will fall off gradually hence we freak out when on treatment so there is no harm in trying to save it as long as you don't experience adverse effect as i doubt there will be a cure in our lifetime i even wrote about this on my other post as to why we won't see it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3853.jpg

Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	64853  

However my situation is a bit more unusual.

nah thats bullshit man, i had extremely thick hair before starting finasteride AND never experienced any form of shedding - e.g. in the shower or on my pillow. ive seen so many people who have taken finasteride for years and it has just made their hair much worse than when they started. i probably was going to go bald at some stage but finasteride has literally taken 3 years at least off my natural hair lifespan. anyway i got low libido and could barely feel my dick so **** being on that stuff for my whole life. just going to have to accept going bald, im not ugly which is quite fortunate lol but would look a lot better with hair. also you're wrong about the baldness cure - stem cell research has already found a cure, google "dr tsuji hair cure". whether it will be affordable in our lifetime is the real issue.

Why isn't anyone replying